This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

-  
Hi Guys,

Very new to the game and just trying to establish a good point to potentially try and buy some cards to start a collection. I think I prefer 1E to 2E as the seeding phase from the gameplay I have seen is a really interesting concept.

Any hints or tips on what to get would be greatly appreciated.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Welcome.

Most of the game is now virtual so you don't have to buy any cards just print them out.

Still there are places you can buy cards. Hills wholesale is the the main distributor but they will sting you for shipping outside the USA. Some of the sets are rare and you will only find them on Ebay for inflated prices. I realize having real cards is nice and I have a small collection myself but you are allowed to just print out every card for tournament play.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Welcome to the site! As I said in the other new guys hello thread, I wrote a series of articles a couple of years ago analyzing beginner-friendly decks for all the affiliations. They were part of a larger article series called the Spotlight Series. Check out the ones entitles "So, I'm a New/Old Player, ________ Edition"

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi, Chinook!
jadziadax8 wrote:Welcome to the site! As I said in the other new guys hello thread, I wrote (...)
And otherwise (aside from that line of articles), the topic Jadzia mentions might also contain some other shreds of info for you -- if you can read past the large chunks that take into account that the "other new guy" (Psylocke) already knew the game from way back.

But the game's evolution -- e.g., increased speed -- is often talked about here, so that whole history in above-linked post is actually quite nice-to-have" ballast when talking/reading here. Worth it, if you want to delve into the backgrounds and development intricacies of the game...

But on the other hand, not mandatory reading.

Do keep asking, however; big or small the questions -- we love to help!

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Redguychinook wrote:Hi Guys,

Very new to the game and just trying to establish a good point to potentially try and buy some cards to start a collection. I think I prefer 1E to 2E as the seeding phase from the gameplay I have seen is a really interesting concept.

Any hints or tips on what to get would be greatly appreciated.
I suggest first use lackey to build decks and play online in friendship matches.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9888

Once you have a decent deck, you can print it, if you want to play it with local friends.

There are 2 discord server to find player and ask questions. The most active one is:
https://discord.com/invite/rsRy5GV

In nowdays 1e its important to use a lot of cards that give you:
a) Draws
b) free plays.

1 draw and normal card play is regular. in tournament games people play and draw about a total of 2-4 cards per turn.

Also there are way to seed cards that give you draws/plays. Also there are seed cards that allow you to download cards. (look into your deck and place them into play or sometimes at least into your hand).

A small list of imporant cards. especially for [Fed] Federation
Continuuing Mission (which can download a [WC] card)
e.g.
Fines Crew in Starfleet
if you want [1E-TNG] TNG folks

or
Reshape the Quadrant (lets download one [RC] card)
e.g.
Combined Task Force
if you want a DS9 [1E-DS9] [Fed] [Kli] alliance.

or
The Final Frontier
(if you want Kirk [OS] )

Also
Call for Reenforcements

is usefull got download a ship with ❖ icon.

There is also a list of most used dilemmas out there, but i forgot the link... anyone else can post it here? @all

Enjoy 1e :)
Last edited by Mr.Sloan on Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Welcome aboard!

I'm a big fan of "real" cards, but really, as mentioned you can print off just about everything you need or play virtually. What area are you in?

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Iron Prime wrote:I'm a big fan of "real" cards
Wait, what? I'm not alone in this? LOL.
Does that mean you only prefer Traditional cards if possible, or do you actually try to use as many as possibly (making concessions to deck quality)? I couldn't imagine the latter being true.
Or did you refer only to the collecting aspect of the hobby?

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Mostly collecting. But when deck building I won't print a virtual version of a card if I know I have Decipher printed one somewhere...
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Iron Prime wrote:Mostly collecting. But when deck building I won't print a virtual version of a card if I know I have Decipher printed one somewhere...
That's just good recycling. :)

For a while I was actually printing off sets and adding them to the binders. (Still not used to this newfangled "use an app to build a deck" nonsense #shakefistatcloud)
NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]