This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Should we make Animated Series cards in 1E?

Yes
52%
No
48%

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:I don't mind some Animated Series cards. Might actually make me try watching the thing.
It's worth watching all 22 episodes once anyway. After that I'll bet there's about 8-10 episodes you'll like and want to watch again, another 6-8 episodes you'll be indifferent towards, and about 4-6 episodes you'll actively dislike and skip on any future rewatches.

Which episodes fall into which category depends on individual taste, but Yesteryear, More Tibbles More Troubles, and The Lorelei Signal are generally consensus top 10 episodes. I put The Counter-Clock Incident as my personal #2 behind Yesteryear, but there's others who hated it, so... *shrug*

Anyway, go watch it. It's worth it.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:
Were I king and could impose my will upon the game, I would probably not make new versions of the existing bridge crew. But a special set of AIs... that I would do.

-crp
This is the only way I could get behind TAS cards... :twocents:

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Several of my local players and I played with this concept a year or so ago.

The relatively fewer new characters seen in the Animated Series more or less drove us towards making the TAS cards more of a subset of the TOS cards - with a seedable incident (we called it "Drawn to the Frontier") that would reward players who had at least several (2-3) TAS cards in play ( ... once per term may convert any card play into a card draw OR any card draw into a card play).

Our design approach was to make the Enterprise main characters somewhat less powerful - somewhat along the lines of the Jean-Luc Picard - Genial Captain virtual promo (0 VP 31) without the download, and include as many as possible of the new characters seen in the animated series.

In execution it really served to add more "spice" to a TOS block environment than real "meat". In size, it was about 25-20 cards as I recall - more the size of a half-expansion or large boutique expansion.

(And truth be told playtesting was rather limited to about 3 guys over the course of several play sessions - so not robust at all) ...

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:I particularly liked the new bridge crew, M'Ress and Arex.
Agreed. They alone could see stand to be represented in cards. But also the Kzinthi, which I've elsewhere elaborated on being a fan of. (Grammar...? Oh well.)
I like diversity in many forms; and although it would take getting used to, I could eventually get used to animated things in the game. And more Trek is still better -- even after how ST PIC butchered my youth -- so I voted yes.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
SudenKapala wrote:But also the Kzinthi, which I've elsewhere elaborated on being a fan of. (Grammar...? Oh well.)
Larry Niven is one of my favorite authors now (though his recent stuff isn't as good as the older stuff) and I credit me getting into him to "The Soft Weapon" getting adapted into the TAS episode "The Slaver Weapon".
Ambassador
By Comicbookhero (Michael Moskop)
 - Ambassador
 -  
I have waffled on this subject whenever it is brought up. I really love TAS, but I have also thought of a lot of the arguments against using it for cards that people have already mentioned in this thread. Personally, I wish there was a third option in the poll of “Yes but not now.” I want to see Arex and M’ress in 1E, but there is still so much other content that 1E has to work with that I don’t think we need TAS just yet.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
edgeofhearing wrote:I don't mind some Animated Series cards. Might actually make me try watching the thing.
Yeah I just got your cards today and they make me want to have more cartoon cards in my life from Star Trek.

By Cartagia
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:I'll say yes - provisionally.

I think there's some good options for missions, dilemmas, and other verbs. I have more reservations about the nouns.

I don't think we should arbitrarily exclude any source material if there's good ideas to be had. At the same time, anything developed should be done because it will make the game better. I.e., don't just do it to do it.
Ayup.
I'd love Lt. Arex and Lt. M'Ress cards at the least.
Ayup.
Were I king and could impose my will upon the game, I would probably not make new versions of the existing bridge crew. But a special set of AIs... that I would do.
Aaaand ayup.

By Cartagia
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Maybe only semi-pertinent: I'd also love to see more cards from the FMV games and A Klingon Challenge. There's a pretty big wellsping from Klingon and Borg, and a bunch of neat stuff that could probably be done with Starfleet Academy and cadets.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I thing this would be an excellent show to use for an introductory set with. Like MTG's Portal. Easy, simple card with nothing much on them that will make it easy to understand and play the base concept. The game is the same but the skills are less and power level is severely toned down. This way we can make another "Bridge Crew" But they'll have fever skills and no "x2" to make math problematic. See it as a first game for new, younger players (we are all having kids so why not ease them into the game we all love?) to get involved and learn the basics of the game.

Let me know if you need any help. I have the design but not the images ready. =)

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Smiley wrote:I thing this would be an excellent show to use for an introductory set with. Like MTG's Portal. Easy, simple card with nothing much on them that will make it easy to understand and play the base concept. The game is the same but the skills are less and power level is severely toned down. This way we can make another "Bridge Crew" But they'll have fever skills and no "x2" to make math problematic. See it as a first game for new, younger players (we are all having kids so why not ease them into the game we all love?) to get involved and learn the basics of the game.
An outstanding idea, Smiley!!

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.