This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Smiley wrote:My thought in the matter is that Andorians do have more personnel on screen than say Vidiians but that does not automatically make it a good idea to make them their own affiliation.
I have mixed feelings here. It depends on the way it is done, whether i consider a new affiliation or simply a themed 22end to be better.

Either way, Andorians, Vulcans, maybe with starfleet as a 22nd [Fed] ? not OP of course, limiting free play and draw engines, not allow them all to be combined... maybe a mission (nullfiing dead end) that can be attempted by all 3 and then form the UFP? or an Objective for it?

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Smiley wrote:Thematically It would probably be interesting as I would like to see what kind of colour they would get on their template (I'm thinking soft/ice blue).
That sounds like a great colour! And, I think, far enough removed from the (many) existing blues, to work.
It also wouldn't conflict -- if chosen wisely -- with the mint that was proposed to represent the Xindi.

Which brings me to a question, slightly off-topic; how and why was the border colour for [Vul] chosen? I really like it now, but in the beginning it felt a bit close to [NA] and/or [Fer] , and I had to get used to it for a while.
That set me to thinking that it's an interesting challenge, defining a colour. Who can tell us more, on how it's done?
First Edition Balance Manager
By JasonRed3 (Jason Robinette)
 - First Edition Balance Manager
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:
Smiley wrote:Thematically It would probably be interesting as I would like to see what kind of colour they would get on their template (I'm thinking soft/ice blue).
That sounds like a great colour! And, I think, far enough removed from the (many) existing blues, to work.
Actually, I think that would be the last color that they should be... it would make their personnel cards have a lot less contrast, visually.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
JasonRed3 wrote:
SudenKapala wrote:
Actually, I think that would be the last color that they should be... it would make their personnel cards have a lot less contrast, visually.
Ah! That might already be some input regarding my question, how the choice is made. :thumbsup: So, while I find importance in distinction between all affiliations' border colours, and a thematically fitting colour, contrast is also an element...?
Well, I guess I might agree, given that Ferengi Outpost is, visually, one of my favourite cards due to the scene, border colour, and colour sinergy between both. (Maihar'du falls in same category.)
Still, I did imagine Andorians and several ENT settings in an ice blue border, and I still think I might like that, too. There are many examples, too, of cards that have similar-coloured art and border, which I like; too many to list. But virtually all [Fed] ships fall in that category. (Enterprise-A!)

Do you (or anybody else) have any colour ideas?

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Personally, I like the whole ice-blue color Andorian template. I saw some dream cards a few years back that had three Ent-era affiliation colors - ice blue for Andorian, kind of a mint green for Suliban and a red-brown color for Xindi. While the cards themselves seemed hit-or-miss, I thought the color scheme was well thought out for dream cards.

As to whether or not TCC should consider doing extra Ent-era affiliations, I tend to look at the game through the lens of TNG. Thematically if you look at the major affiliations in TNG, the Federation, Klingons and Romulans are obvious. The later addition of DS9 affiliations the Ferengi, Cardassians and Bajoran was just as obvious.

Applied to the Enterprise era, thematically the Starfleet, Vulcan, Suliban and Klingon affiliation seem obvious, with the Andorians and Xindi making more appearances in later seasons. The Mirror Universe only appears in the two-part "In a Mirror, Darkly", but it was easy to see why that became its own affiliation using the Mirror TOS Federation model we saw in Decipher's "Mirror Mirror" expansion.

My earlier post above outlines why I think we have enough Andorian characters to fill out a viable affiliation. A quick pass through Memory Alpha shows enough Suliban characters and more than enough Xindi characters to fill out their own affiliations.

All that to say if the community interest is there, there's enough material for three new affiliations for the Enterprise era ...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Klauser wrote:All that to say if the community interest is there, there's enough material for three new affiliations for the Enterprise era ...
A nice sort of summary/abstract. :thumbsup: And using mint for the Suliban (instead of Xindi) doesn't matter for me, I think -- I just think mint (and ice blue) fit(s) well in-between the existing colours.
Not sure about the red-brown, it could be too close to Kazon? But probably, the original creators of those DCs took that into account and found a way. (I think something in the direction of a near-bright purple is still "missing", border-wise; and perhaps also a drab green. That could be fitting for the Xindi, thematically.)

Thanks for your thoughts on the ways the affiliations were introduced, that made sense.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I’m fine with Andorians and Xindi given an affiliation. I think it would help flesh out the 22nd era cards.

I could also argue we could make ‘fake’ mirror versions of the 22nd Klingons, Romulans, and Vulcans.

But I want DS9 and the delta affiliations to get some more love first.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Klauser wrote:All that to say if the community interest is there, there's enough material for three new affiliations for the Enterprise era ...
Not trying to be a negative person here but just because there is community interest in something does not make it a thing to pursue in game design. Game design is a little bit more complex than that I'm afraid. =)
It's not that it's impossible to do but rather that it might not be the best thing for the game.

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Smiley wrote:
Not trying to be a negative person here but just because there is community interest in something does not make it a thing to pursue in game design. Game design is a little bit more complex than that I'm afraid. =)
It's not that it's impossible to do but rather that it might not be the best thing for the game.
I've been involved in game design myself and you're correct - just because you can make a change doesn't necessarily means you should.

That said, it doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't either.

The point I was trying to make was that the resources are there if TCC decides there's enough interest.

-- Edited to strike the last comment because on reflection it may have come across a bit more snarky than I'd intended. Apologies if it bothered anyone ...
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]

You can also click on the tournament results and t[…]

No, because the set was released yesterday, so the[…]

New Tribbles set Bad Moon

Why has no one confirmed the obvious. [Trob] […]