This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:
AllenGould wrote:C'mon, make the designers work for it.
Code of Honor
Urgh. Racism. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Oh, absolutely. Hence the "work for it". It's easy to make cards from the good and fun episodes, after all.
As a young fan, in 1994 I bought a used VHS tape from a vid rental store, with that one and The Naked Now, not having seen those eps yet. Man, was I disappointed. I had hoped for more along the lines of, say, The Survivors. Luckily, there's so much more awesome stuff in TNG.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Ensign Q wrote:Im glad I lived in the 90s tbh, where nobody cared. It was just another episode.
Trust me, people cared.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:
Ensign Q wrote:Im glad I lived in the 90s tbh, where nobody cared. It was just another episode.
Trust me, people cared.
I agree. But it must also be pointed out that there was, and still is, a vast difference in how "segregated" America was and is, versus, say the German or Belgian or Dutch societies were. Sensitivity to racism is in different fields and on different levels because of it, between -- generally -- the Old and New* Worlds. For me, some things feel like, "No WAY that would EVER happen IRL, right?" (say, situations such as in the film Crash.I know they do... but because of my environment it's hard to not put it away as hyperbole). But they do happen, still; and much more so across the pond.

So, while it's "easier to shrug off" for us here (because it almost feels abstract; surreal) -- and I can only hope that citizens of minority descent feel a bit the same, albeit less so -- it's crystal clear why minorities -- and "enlightened" caucasians -- in 'murica cringed, and will cringe for years to come, when confronted with racism (even unintended such as in that episode).

(*: Actually, I seem to have a far less complete view on how this is in extra-US America; i.e. Canada and the Latins.)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I've seen some argue (though I don't think I agree with the argument, or at least I found it non relevant) that had the Ligonians not all been cast with black actors and actresses that it would have come off as far less racist.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Also, we've already done cards from the worst episode of all time, so why not work up to the 2nd worst?

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
From what I've read so far ...

TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise

DS9: Soldiers of the Empire

VOY: Year of Hell

TOS and Enterprise already had their shot with:

- Decipher's Trouble With Tribbles (TOS: The Trouble With Tribbles)
- TCC's Terran Empire (Enterprise: In A Mirror, Darkly Pt 1 & 2)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:Also, we've already done cards from the worst episode of all time, so why not work up to the 2nd worst?
If you're referring to Shades of Gray, I challenge your premise.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
AllenGould wrote:Also, we've already done cards from the worst episode of all time, so why not work up to the 2nd worst?
If you're referring to Shades of Gray, I challenge your premise.
Shades of Gray is #5.

(This is according to the fan poll at the 50th anniversary Trek convention.)
First Edition Balance Manager
By JasonRed3 (Jason Robinette)
 - First Edition Balance Manager
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:so counterracism brought filmmakers to a point, where they rather cast only white males, to not fall into certain traps. well played.
It would be great if we could steer the conversation away from this before it goes any further down the rabbit hole.

Any other episode suggestions?

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:"Soldiers of the Empire"

* [1E-DS9] [Kli]
* The Rotarran front and center
* Making Music and Honor matter
* The Klingon fight song as frame for the set: the terrible, dishonorable rendition at the start; the triumphant and honorable one at the end
* Just a really rich episode
* Definitely not stealing from a Make It So option Moskop and Zef'no and I worked on in 2013 but abandoned in favor of a submission about the Orion Syndicate

(speaking of which: "Honor Among Thieves" would be a great candidate for a 9-card set, too)
+1

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
TOS: we deserve much much more from “A Piece of the Action” (honorable mention: “The Savage Curtain”)
TNG: “All Good Things...”
DS9: “The Visitor” (honorable mention: all of Dominion War Arc conclusion episodes)
VOY: a tie between “Relativity” / “Endgame” (honorable mention: any/all of the Hirogen episodes)
ENT: season 3: the Xindi (as an affiliation)

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]