This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Should we have a deck size limit?

A certain player in the online regional played 1000 card deck and took forever searching for downloads and it was really annoying.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
No, but somebody sometime should try out a chess clock and see what effect that has.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I think that maybe there's space for a format that has that But generally I think that player should be able to have as large a deck as they want. Though we might need to limit the amount of easy downloads and maybe even the amount of copies of cards allowed.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Deck size limit... Pushing the American solvers... No.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

I would suggest the following, if you cannot shuffle your deck without splitting it up, it's not legal.

Personally I strongly dislike playing against 200 or more card decks. It's unnecessary, opens ways to cheat and is plain inconsiderate towards your opponent.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Caretaker's Guest wrote:Deck size limit... Pushing the American solvers... No.
I have a hard time playing any deck under 50 cards.

The largest deck I've ever built is 125ish.

I'm not sure we need a hard rule, but as a guideline, how about this:

If you aren't willing to build the deck in the real world, don't build it online. ESPECIALLY if it involves a bunch of draw deck downloads.

Or more basically, don't be a deck dick. :P
 -  
Community Contributor
Perhaps we need to borrow from some other games that put time limits on how long you can spend searching (Pokemon is 15s, and that's a game for kids.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:Perhaps we need to borrow from some other games that put time limits on how long you can spend searching (Pokemon is 15s, and that's a game for kids.)
Pokemon is also a hard 60 limit.
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
AllenGould wrote:Perhaps we need to borrow from some other games that put time limits on how long you can spend searching (Pokemon is 15s, and that's a game for kids.)
Pokemon is also a hard 60 limit.
True, but I wanted to use a non-Magic example. MTG has "Slow Play", and some deck types are effectively illegal in tournament play because they take too long to execute in practice. (The theory being that it's on you to finish a game on time, so if your deck can't get 'er done because it takes three hours and a post-shuffle massage, that's a You Problem.)

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
As long as design creates cards like Life´s simple pleasures, with the option to download 638 different female (includes double versions), then building a larger deck is simply more effective to win, which is something everyone in the regional tries with his deck, if spectre cannt handle a defeat or building large efficient decks himselve thats not my problem.

Where is all your talk about "small decks are so fast, everyone shell build samll deck"?

I won against him even in time. Playing a deck you like is okay, thats everyonce chocie. Dening the opponent the same right, is just weak.
 -  
Community Contributor
LuthySloan wrote:As long as design creates cards like Life´s simple pleasures, with the option to download 638 different female (includes double versions), then building a larger deck is simply more effective to win, which is something everyone in the regional tries with his deck, if spectre cannt handle a defeat or building large efficient decks himselve thats not my problem.
You're arguing the wrong point - if you can play your 1000 card deck within the time limit, you do you. But if you're stalling the game because you can't find the card you want, that shouldn't be permitted.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
My point is that it is healthy that everyone plays the deck he likes and gives his opponent the same freedom.
 -  
Community Contributor
LuthySloan wrote:My point is that it is healthy that everyone plays the deck he likes and gives his opponent the same freedom.
Hmm.. when's the next big tournament? I have an idea for a 100,000 card deck that immediately pops a download and spends the next 75 minutes trying to find it until time expires.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
LuthySloan wrote:My point is that it is healthy that everyone plays the deck he likes and gives his opponent the same freedom.
Hmm.. when's the next big tournament? I have an idea for a 100,000 card deck that immediately pops a download and spends the next 75 minutes trying to find it until time expires.
I think the point is that it's a courtesy to not spend too long searching the deck. Whether it's a courtesy that needs floor rules to enforce it is debatable, but the courtesy goes both ways.

If someone needs a couple minutes to find a card, (or make a play decision, etc) a few times during the game that's something that a reasonable person should not give them a hard time about.

On the other hand if a person spends 5+ minutes multiple times during the game, it's likely that the problem is the deck design or "analysis paralysis" about deciding which card to download, which is another form of discourtesy in a tournament setting.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
@Allen feel free to use any deck you like big or small.

Anyone can ask the TD if something is thinking or stalling, that applies to you, to me and to any decks of any size.

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]

The deck qualifies, but the tournament currently[…]

Yes your 5-three cost and 1-five cost were r[…]

This is true, though in 2e there are very few[…]