This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
sexecutioner wrote:I played against Christian in the online regional.

Apart from Lackey constantly crashing. I don't have any glaring issues with our game.

Ok, his first turn was 10 minutes long. I was twiddling my thumbs, but it was great seeing him work this complex machine of 1000 cards. I saw no stalling in our game.

Also, there was a point where he couldn't find his Lower Decks, so I just said that we can imagine that it's out (using the cost of his RRD of course) If he draws into it later in the game, he can just play it immediately and draw another card.

Regardless of of the downloads, he absolutely smoked me in 5ish turns. Was great watching you play your turns.
Thank you.

I like you too! Respekt, those who show respektfull behavior!

I really wish a bigger side deck so that first turn stuff can be gotten quickly. for me and others. These days many good player have a chain at the beginning.

Only losers like spectr9 complain. i regred being co peacefull with non-peacefull people. i will now attack the attacker and respect the respectfull.

Mod Edit [Boffo97]: User was warned for this post.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
At first the reply to the topic: No. Simply no. And another no for those who suggested a limit to the amount of copies of cards allowed.
At second a reply to the previous post: I cannot remember how often I wished to seed another copy of Q's tent. Can't we make an errata to it allowing to seed multiple Q's tents? That would be great.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
How about a simple "if you can't do it in paper, you shouldn't do it in digital".

You want to show that 1000 card decks are OK and fine and awesome? Great, show up to a paper event with your 2-lane box and show us.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:How about a simple "if you can't do it in paper, you shouldn't do it in digital".

You want to show that 1000 card decks are OK and fine and awesome? Great, show up to a paper event with your 2-lane box and show us.

I mean I once did a 300+ dominion deck and faced an almost 500 card Borg deck once...paper that is
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Caretaker's Guest wrote:I like Brian's rule too. But the TD should not be able to post anything about the decklists he received on the boards and just report to Charlie. That seems fair to me.
I worry about the equitability of Brian's rule. If decklists are submitted to 1E Staff, that's not just Charlie. Everyone on (at minimum) Rules and Balance would see those lists and pore over them. That's ~10 people. If Design or Testing gets involved, it's more like 25 people. Some of those people are top players.

Should these staffers -- who are also playing events -- have an advantage over everyone else?

Better to just post the decklists, in my view, although like LORE said it's not worth starting a schism over.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Caretaker's Guest wrote:I like Brian's rule too. But the TD should not be able to post anything about the decklists he received on the boards and just report to Charlie. That seems fair to me.
I worry about the equitability of Brian's rule. If decklists are submitted to 1E Staff, that's not just Charlie. Everyone on (at minimum) Rules and Balance would see those lists and pore over them. That's ~10 people. If Design or Testing gets involved, it's more like 25 people. Some of those people are top players.

Should these staffers -- who are also playing events -- have an advantage over everyone else?

Better to just post the decklists, in my view, although like LORE said it's not worth starting a schism over.
That's not lost on me, but mine was an effort to balance equities, which by definition involves tradeoffs and compromise.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
People have been doing huge decks since at least VCM

it isnt a problem. If they are using it to stall, there are rules for that.

Let's not try to fix things that are not broken.
First Edition Balance Manager
By JasonRed3 (Jason Robinette)
 - First Edition Balance Manager
 -  
pfti wrote:People have been doing huge decks since at least VCM

it isnt a problem. If they are using it to stall, there are rules for that.

Let's not try to fix things that are not broken.
It's much harder to prove that someone is stalling in an online event. You can't exactly call a judge over.

Look, I've played plenty of 300+ card decks in my day (in more than just Star Trek) and you generally get pretty good at looking for things... but in an online event, Lackey is NOT your friend when it comes to huge decks.

J
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
If my large deck slowed down a game, I would also give my opponent the option to extend time. We are playing for fun and silly ratings points.

If your opponent does not extend the same courtesy then you can take it up with the TD.

I personally think almost everyone (except MVB) plays too slow. This is 1E. Think on your opponent's turn!

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
There should be a deck size limit. I wouldn't claim to know whats exactly best, but there's nothing you can play at 1k cards you couldn't play at 200.

Card games are about having to make choices and that should include what's in the deck.

Then there's the matter of the IRL issues of shuffling, cutting and fail to find verifications. I will never forget the game in ~1997 where my opponent brought a 500 card borg deck. Strictly allowed? Yes. Totally unnecessary and pretty much a dick move meant to frustrate? Yes.

The rules require the deck be randomized at all times. That means shuffling the entire thing, before every game and after every search. Doing that takes an inordinate amount of time that is strictly unfair to the opponent and falls under stalling IMHO (and magic the gathering agrees with my opinion under their shuffling rules)

Just because you can get away with it on lackey or other electronic platforms doesn't make it ok.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
I can remember a deck (of unknown size but HUGE) played in Paris in 2001
he had 2 "downloadmanagers" helping him find his cards, when he was downloading.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Enabran wrote:I can remember a deck (of unknown size but HUGE) played in Paris in 2001
he had 2 "downloadmanagers" helping him find his cards, when he was downloading.

If it takes 3 ppl to run a deck it proves by definition its too much for 1 person. More ppl adds more elements and opportunities for cheating or that much more for the opponent to track to prevent it.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
pfti wrote:We are playing for fun and silly ratings points.
SILLY!? :o :x ( :lol: :thumbsup: )
I personally think almost everyone (except MVB) plays too slow. This is 1E. Think on your opponent's turn!
You must be so annoyed during our casual game at Worlds'19. I hadn't even left my outpost when you won. Come to think of it, you did look a bit bored...? :lol:
Seriously, thanks, though. Despite my warnings about this, you gave me my first international game. It was a unique experience for me. :wink:

On a serious note -- not everybody has a game group that allows them to practice and (literally) get up to speed. We want new players. They're slow. I'm slow (and I'll never get MVB-level fast). I have to -- THE HORROR! :o -- read cards.
I apologise (once again) to everybody in the side events at Worlds, I thank them for their patience, and I still hope to be able to play games with higher-level players again. And I wish I wouldn't have to feel bad about not being as fast as y'all. :shifty:
And I'm not even, technically, a new player.

That said...my decks are 160 cards, max. (Usually, 80~100.) And that includes sides and seeds. So I don't lose time there.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote:
Enabran wrote:I can remember a deck (of unknown size but HUGE) played in Paris in 2001
If it takes 3 ppl to run a deck it proves by definition its too much for 1 person. More ppl adds more elements and opportunities for cheating or that much more for the opponent to track to prevent it.
Good points. Although in practice, this can be remedied if the opponent of the Big Deck Player chooses or sanctions the Download Managers. Still... not a very practical situation by any means, IMO.
Sexecutioner wrote:(short'n'sweet game report)
Thanks for that, belatedly; a first hand / inside look at "the deck that started it all" was educational. So it wasn't all NPE, luckily. :)
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote:
Hoss-Drone wrote:
Good points. Although in practice, this can be remedied if the opponent of the Big Deck Player chooses or sanctions the Download Managers. Still... not a very practical situation by any means, IMO.
Shouldn't be the opponent's job - where was the TD in this?
Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]