This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I think an argument can be made for straight [Kli]

It's probably not a bad thing they're so weak with their fast and easy to staff warbirds they can get out of hand quick. I do like the TNG stuff but I found it a bit slow to be a good battle option and a bit too skill light to be a good solver. [22] is probably the best of the variants but I don't feel tempted to play it anytime soon.

It's hard to even have [Vid] in the argument. The CC took their universal treaty away to balance the game and they were never really supposed to operate without it.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Professor Scott wrote:
Armus wrote:
eberlems wrote:[Vid] with 9 decks within last 6 months?
That many?
:thumbsup:

I am honestly surprised that there are any other contenders for this title in anyone's mind.
Ummm, Neutral. They have only a handful of personnel, but no ships or skills.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Spectre9 wrote:I think an argument can be made for straight [Kli]

It's probably not a bad thing they're so weak with their fast and easy to staff warbirds they can get out of hand quick. I do like the TNG stuff but I found it a bit slow to be a good battle option and a bit too skill light to be a good solver. [22] is probably the best of the variants but I don't feel tempted to play it anytime soon.

It's hard to even have [Vid] in the argument. The CC took their universal treaty away to balance the game and they were never really supposed to operate without it.

Respectfully, but strongly disagree. [1E-AU] [Kli] and [CF] in particular are very good. And the DS9 guys are underrated as well.

I don't understand what happened that made everyone change their estimation of the TNG ones, as I thought they were pretty popular a couple years back, I seem to recall Ken & Kris playing them quite successfully -- have they been weakened in some way? Or what is it that's happened that's driven them so low in the collective estimation?

DS9 Ferengi are pretty weak, but the TNG guys aren't -- they've got some good free reports, decent ships, good options for draws and are surprisingly well suited to battle.

I'd say that Vidiians are at the bottom of the heap along with Maquis and DQ Klingons, as well as possibly DS9 Ferengi.

Neutral would, of course, be worst, but it's not really a playable affiliation.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Are we talking about the playable ones? [1E-TNG] [Car] and [1E-TNG] [Maq] are both only theoretically playable, so they are both at the very bottom.

[Maq] in general and each specific flavor of [Maq] in particular really bore the brunt of Design's caution in DS9 Block, but -- unlucky for them -- they have not gotten subsequent boosts whereas most of the rest of DS9 Block has.

However, I have to award the title Worst Affiliation to [Vid]. You can certainly make an argument that they're more playable than a couple of others, but they are also just about the blandest, boringest affiliation in the game. They have one interesting piece of flavor, and that's Organ Theft. (They also have the very situational Boarding Claw and the situational-far-past-the-point-of-uselessness The Phage.) Even Organ Theft doesn't do much to make Vidiians play differently, as it's just an overcomplicated Crell Moset. The whole rich, exciting drama of the ancient and dying Vidiian race is almost completely absent from their implementation, and the way to win with Vidiians is the same way you win with everything in the DQ: spam personnel (probably with help from the Equinox) and blitz to 140 ASAP. They don't have the Voyager single-ship dynamic or Hirogen hunting or Kazon armadas. They just spam and solve.

[1E-DS9] [1E-Fer] may be less strong, but they're a lot more interesting to run, with all their rules and their latinum schemes and their conferences and their cross-quadrant cargo runs and just general antics. Ditto the Maquis, a faction with weak power but really intriguing flavor. ("I'm irritating, but if you come into my house I'm gonna be a lot more than just irritating" is just a terrific idea, and it's nicely implemented on a lot of the cards. Also, Learning Curve is more fun than it looks.)

[Vid] right now are just cards of a different color -- and not very good ones. They are, in my eyes, The Worst.

Hopefully they'll get some help soon.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Fed!

As they are the protagonist of the shows, everything is about them and from their viewpoint which makes all other affiliations get just less screen time and possible card. This also makes feds get all the cool toys even though they should not have them just because it was shown once in a show somewhere when it's stated that affiliation X probablhy had it but never got any screen time for it.

So, fed, we really need to have a talk about them design-wise.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
after this month errata vs. [OS] i consider [Fed] deck-variants quite balanced in power, actually.

[1E-DS9] [Fed] and [CF] [Fed] actually underpowered. Tell me if you think otherwise.

Currently thinking what to play after my 1000 card deck with Group Therapy + Cafe + Final Frontier was toasted. It was very good design wise to seperate The Final Frontier from cards like Worf & Jadzia or Sergey and Helanna, or Guinen. :thumbsup:

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:Can you tell us now what the 1000-card deck actually did?
The decklist is published. I simply prefere larger decks, because i consider them more efficient. I think i made clear that i do not like all the cross-topic deck rent and the creation of bad suspitions towards me and my deck. Can you please leave me alone already? That would be something i consider respectful.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
LuthySloan wrote:
The decklist is published. I simply prefere larger decks, because i consider them more efficient. I think i made clear that i do not like all the cross-topic deck rent and the creation of bad suspitions towards me and my deck. Can you please leave me alone already?
To be fair, I don't think James was looking to harass you. I think he was legit just asking how your deck works.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
LuthySloan wrote:
The decklist is published. I simply prefere larger decks, because i consider them more efficient. I think i made clear that i do not like all the cross-topic deck rent and the creation of bad suspitions towards me and my deck. Can you please leave me alone already?
To be fair, I don't think James was looking to harass you. I think he was legit just asking how your deck works.
I did not say he has intentions to harassed me.

I already told multiple times that i don´t like to discuss my deck over and over again in unlrelated threads. I would have loved it if it where accepted. :shifty:
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
LuthySloan wrote:
The decklist is published.
Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
LuthySloan wrote:your welcome. BCSWowbagger

@Topic
i also agree [Fer] could use some love. Only saw good decks brunt shuttle drops and kes+other deltas.
Last time I saw a good TNG feregi deck was Latrell's gencon deck and I am not sure if its still applicable as there's been a lot of errata that I am not sure if its been impacted by
Is Sedis a captain?

P'Jem Sanctuary can also DL Sopek .

Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]