This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

How do you store your commons and uncommons?

By Set, then by Type, then Alphabetically
25%
By Type, then Alphabetically regardless of set
36%
By Quadrant, then by Type, then Alphabetically regardless of set.
No votes
0%
In rubber bands like an animal
22%
Some other way. Describe in comments.
17%

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Now that my collection is starting to get serious, I am curious how everyone stores there boxed cards. I know many store them in binders, and while i am not discouraging you from responding, but I am mainly looking to heard from folks that exclusively store their commons and uncommons in boxes. Personally all my not-in-deck rares are kept in a smaller box according to option 1 in the poll as it is easiest to locate for trading purposes, IMHO.

Please pick the option that applies to you.

Thanks for your time.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I keep 4 copies of any non unique card and 2 copies of any unique in my 6 2" binders along with my rares (and higher) following the set lists on here.

Extra rares are kept in deck boxes. Extra commons/uncommons that could be useful in huge multiples (Kevin, Amanda, Q2, RBMs, etc.) are also kept in deck boxes. All other cards are stored in a huge card box and mostly forgotten about.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Boffo97 wrote:I keep 4 copies of any non unique card and 2 copies of any unique in my 6 2" binders along with my rares (and higher) following the set lists on here.

Extra rares are kept in deck boxes. Extra commons/uncommons that could be useful in huge multiples (Kevin, Amanda, Q2, RBMs, etc.) are also kept in deck boxes. All other cards are stored in a huge card box and mostly forgotten about.
Is the 4 a holdover from Magic The Gathering or just a coincidental personal formula?

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I think coincidental. It used to be 6 for me personally, then I dropped to 4 once universal printability became a thing.

And I never got into Magic, so... ;)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Boffo97 wrote:I think coincidental. It used to be 6 for me personally, then I dropped to 4 once universal printability became a thing.

And I never got into Magic, so... ;)
I'd agree with your assessment then. Magic, if you didn't know, has/had a strict limit of no more than 4 of any non-land card. Some were restricted to only 1 or banned altogether. There were exceptions to this of course. Relentless Rats comes to mind.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Spectre9 wrote:By set and type. The extra step of alphabetical arrangement is too pedantic for me.
That's fair. Most types, once sorted by set, have less than 10 cards in the type anyway, unless you are dealing with Personnel OR Premier or Voyager sets.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
I store my loose Decipher-Cards by Set, then by Rarity (even the rares not included in this Poll), then by Type, then alphabetically. (First 10 of all Premiere Commons: Fed Ships alphabetically, then Fed Outposts, then Fed Personnel, then the same Order with Klingon, Romulan and NA, then Missions, Equipments, Events and Interrupts. Then the same with 5 U and then all available R but (never mixed Rarity).
I also have got 1 of each Decipher-Card in a Folder stored by Type, then by Set, then alphabetically. These cards are only removed from the folder in the worst emergency (usually never!)

My loose TrekCC-Cards are stored by Set and then by Number.
I also have got 1 of each TrekCC-Card in a Folder stored by Type, then by Set, then by Quadrant, then alphabetically.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
My binders are rigidly organized.

My Commons Box (which also includes uncommons I have too many of) are basically by affiliation, then by type, and then maybe a little bit alphabetized. But barely. I did once go through and alphabetize it all, but it was a lot of work with very little payout.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
BCSWowbagger wrote:My binders are rigidly organized.

My Commons Box (which also includes uncommons I have too many of) are basically by affiliation, then by type, and then maybe a little bit alphabetized. But barely. I did once go through and alphabetize it all, but it was a lot of work with very little payout.
Yeah, that's the rub. When you get a new box or some other large clump of cards, it is much less daunting to put them in alpha order when they are already by set than it is when they are just by type. I guess it also depends on the frequency of getting those new cards.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
eberlems wrote:By Type, then affiliation, then Alphabetically regardless of set
guess that's "other"
OK, true. I guess I consider each affiliation as it's own type, but technically they are subdivisions of the types Personnel, Ship, and Facility. In fairness, I sort personnel separately from their ships and their facilities which are also sorted by affiliation.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
First Foil, then Affiliation/Faction, then non-affiliation related cards by type. No sorting lower than that.

By scox (Johan Skoglund)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Type, (Affiliation where applicable), Set, Losely alphabetically, depending on time/forces.

Used to sort them by Type, Affiliation, Classification, Set, Alphabetically, but skipped that middle step at some point.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Awesome topic. It's a SIIIY question, but I never thought of it. Thanks for asking, I look forward to reading!

What is that "rubber band" thing!? Does it mean anything? It made me think of a car tyre, and the swimming pool. It was cool enough to answer thusly. :P

I story by various systems -- surplus (un)commons, surplus rares, DDC, TDC, MSC.

I use too many abbreviations, sorry -- bit I'll explain them. Hold your horses!

And I wasn't sure about what info you are looking for exactly, so I wrote it all down. I hope it's of use! :cheersL:

MSC - master singles collection. only 1 unique image, preferably the least common (or otherwise the nicest); thus, Scotty is in it twice; the WB warp pack version, and the AI with tribble. 2PG WBs go in instead of BB counterparts. SBs only go in when no WB or BB available.
sorted on type, subtype, affiliation. (I like to browse e.g., all Klingons, or all Missions -- not all of a certain set, like "today I'll browse Q Continuum". And I know I'll never complete all sets, so I'd rather do it like this. Never met anybody else who did, though.)
personnnel, I sort on classifications, then staffing ability.
all in binders, sleeved in side loaders (I've seen never-used cards chafed because I seemingly browsed my binders too enthusiastically! :x ).

DDC - all doubles up to a certain amount that I think I'd ever use simultaneously across all decks. Say, 16 AU Doors, but 4 Hirogen Outposts, since I won't be making more than 1 Hirogen deck. personnel and unique ships go in only once. this way, I can see which personnel are not yet in any deck, and which are. For fun / diversity. I actually track my use -- play -- of all cards, in a modified version of Boffo's spreadsheets. I am very proud if I can add counts for Calloway or plasma fire. Having fun with such cards during "Impuse Speed" and/or teaching games is half of my STCCG fun. OK, well, 25%.
Of these DDCs, at lest the first copy is side-loaded to prevent chafing, coz these - and all below - go in plastic boxes, with 2-row custom carton inlays. Also, any unique series/set version is side-sleeved (e.g., the BB Scotty; or a SB that is in MSC binder as WB). all SBs are sleeved anyway.
I take great care that I have, overall, WB94 and 95, even though only one 9f those (or the BB) goes into the master binders. At least one of each year is sleeved, but usually almost all, because PAQ cards have different coating that chafes even more easily.

BTW, I'd love to sort everything to alphabet, but haven't got around to it yet.

TDC - tertiary deck collection. all personnel and unique ships above the first copy (which is in DDC). Not for small affiliations.

Decks - made from DDC and TDC. I pick un-side-sleeved copied first, and sidesleeve them; decks fully double-sleeved. I use SB cards from DDC/TDC if I need them. But I prefer WB, since image is crisper.

surplus (un)commons - give-away / backing material. I also make my "Impulse Speed" and surplus/travel decks from these, so I won't have to spend time punishing people (or buy cards and build new decks) when flight luggage goes missing. Then again, financially and coronaically, I'll never be able to fly again, probably :roll:

surplus rares - trade material, goes into a binder.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]