This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

How do you store your commons and uncommons?

By Set, then by Type, then Alphabetically
25%
By Type, then Alphabetically regardless of set
36%
By Quadrant, then by Type, then Alphabetically regardless of set.
No votes
0%
In rubber bands like an animal
22%
Some other way. Describe in comments.
17%

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:My binders are rigidly organized.

My Commons Box (which also includes uncommons I have too many of) are basically by affiliation, then by type, and then maybe a little bit alphabetized. But barely. I did once go through and alphabetize it all, but it was a lot of work with very little payout.
I do something similar: the difference is my commons/uncommons boxes are still by set.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Iron Prime wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:My binders are rigidly organized.

My Commons Box (which also includes uncommons I have too many of) are basically by affiliation, then by type, and then maybe a little bit alphabetized. But barely. I did once go through and alphabetize it all, but it was a lot of work with very little payout.
I do something similar: the difference is my commons/uncommons boxes are still by set.
So you are saying by affiliation as appropriate, then by type, then by set, but not alphabetized?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Iron Prime wrote:Set -> card type -> alphabetical (sorta)
ok option 1 then (sorta) lol.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
In theory: Quadrant, then Affiliation, then Type, then Play Engine. So for example, my Cardassians will have groups of Guls/Legates, Obsidian Order, Support Personnel, other universals, and other uniques. For Dominion, Borg, and KCA, I don't distinguish between their various quadrants or affiliations. Hand weapons, Espionages, and other affiliation-centric cards are grouped with the cards of that affiliation.

I also have a box for frequently-used cards that I take to every tournament. It's mostly the dilemmas I consider playable, but also includes the various AU Doors, RRD, AMS, ASP, Going to the Top, Hidden Fighter, etc. It also has a small supply of backer cards.

Other cards are by type, but I have special sections for Ref cards and Captain's Orders.

In practice: Some combination of the above and various piles on various surfaces.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Type, [Affiliation], then Alphabetical. I was always a player, not a collector. So I was interested in finding specific cards for a deck, not arranging them to see if I had a complete set.

The labels may not be entirely accurate at any given moment (as cards are acquired or dequired), but it generally looks something like this:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
I know I put the rubber band option in as kind of trolling my own poll :P . I am not sure if you guys are just trolling me back :wink: or if I have stumbled upon that many folks admitting they actually store them that way :shifty: !
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Professor Scott wrote:I know I put the rubber band option in as kind of trolling my own poll :P . I am not sure if you guys are just trolling me back :wink: or if I have stumbled upon that many folks admitting they actually store them that way :shifty: !
Those people exist. A guy in my local game group stores his Dominion set by binding card groups in rubber bands and paper clips... Makes me cringe.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote:
Professor Scott wrote:I know I put the rubber band option in as kind of trolling my own poll :P . I am not sure if you guys are just trolling me back :wink: or if I have stumbled upon that many folks admitting they actually store them that way :shifty: !
Those people exist. A guy in my local game group stores his Dominion set by binding card groups in rubber bands and paper clips... Makes me cringe.
Ah.... That answers the question that I asked in my... rather lengthy post. (If you read it fully, you win the internet for today.) I could only think of car tyres! :lol:
But it means those elastic bands.... Which degrade over time (at least partially due to a process called "vulcanisation"! Fascinating subject, chem 101), and either turn hard and break, or turn to a sticky goo that mucks up your cards... THOSE rubber bands. Heck yeah, I use those for my rare foils! 8)

I can change my poll answer (BUT I SHALL NOT WRITE DOWN MY SORTING SYSTEM AGAIN! :x :P ), but I indeed expected that's why you put it there. :wink:

Oh, BTW, I do sort my personnel (doubles) by quadrant, also. First, actually. But not my singles, in binders-- see my essay.

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Professor Scott wrote:I am curious how everyone stores there boxed cards.
I store everything in as few boxes as possible, sorted by type, then alphabetically. Affiliations get sorted alphabetically and grouped by personnel, then ships, then facilities within affiliation. Multi-affiliations are by border color, and dual-sided cards (DS9) are kind of arbitrary; I couldn't tell you why I sorted DS9 and not Terok Nor, but *shrug*

CC cards are stored in their own box but sorted the same way, as I have way fewer of them than Decipher cards (a few hundred vs a few thousand). I've been mounting my printed CC cards on old AU commons, so I've got a nice easy-to-sleeve situation going on, but it does require more storage than paper proxy style printings. My OCD-lite brain appreciates the extra trouble.

I've always accumulated cards for play (at one point I trimmed to 6 copies of any given card, but I couldn't tell you when or why), never for "collecting", so any real distinction of rarity has never come into the sorting decisions. I'm sure at some point I'll cash out of the game and sell the whole thing and regret not being super careful about the R+/UR/R^R chase cards, but for now, it keeps the footprint of the game on my shelves minimal.

That said, I do have a binder of foils, because I find them garish and want them as far away from my other cards as possible; the less I'm reminded those ugly things exist the better. (With the exception of Investigate "Shattered Space" and maybe two or three others, which I find strangely beautiful.) But some people apparently want to collect them, so I keep them where I can get rid of them easily in trades and they don't ambush me while I'm rummaging through cards.

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Kaiser wrote:
In rubber bands like an animal
I take offense.
I've bought "near mint" lots that looked like this. I live for the ones where people have left their hand-made proxies from back in the day in the box, too. I loved receiving a few where someone didn't have the D bridge crew, so they picked random cards and wrote the character names on them, but somehow didn't think to put their name on a card that pictured them. So there's a copy of Jamaharon with "La Forge" scrawled on it, and Thine Own Self with "Crusher" sloppily penned across the lore. The Escape Pod labeled "Data" at least makes some kind of obtuse sense.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I love this topic. I love personal card and/or Trek stories. The photos are also very nice to see. (Except the detail of the Bounty -- I hope I can glean from the set iconthat it's a proxy/virtual. If not -- do NOT tellme please.)

Jebus, what are tgose red and yellow hoses / wires? Not SCUBA gear, I reckon?

Oh -- gotta run. Pizza time. The best. From the freezer,
pre-corona,
home- heated.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation