This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Joelin02
 -  
With his passing I went looking for his card and it turns out it doesn't exist on 1E or 2E. Sad, some of my favorite episodes on Voyager featured him and Barclay.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I was surprised by this too, but his other role as L'Kor is represented in both versions.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Joelin02 wrote:With his passing I went looking for his card and it turns out it doesn't exist on 1E or 2E. Sad, some of my favorite episodes on Voyager featured him and Barclay.
The way Voyager works in 2E makes the Pathfinder Project personnel difficult to implement properly. I'm surprised 1E doesn't have something for them, though. I could see an incident that seeds on Earth, disallows Voyager from coming to the AQ, and allows your [1E-DQ] Feds to gain benefits from your non- [1E-DQ] Voyager propertly logo Feds on Earth.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
GooeyChewie wrote:
Joelin02 wrote:With his passing I went looking for his card and it turns out it doesn't exist on 1E or 2E. Sad, some of my favorite episodes on Voyager featured him and Barclay.
The way Voyager works in 2E makes the Pathfinder Project personnel difficult to implement properly. I'm surprised 1E doesn't have something for them, though. I could see an incident that seeds on Earth, disallows Voyager from coming to the AQ, and allows your [1E-DQ] Feds to gain benefits from your non- [1E-DQ] Voyager propertly logo Feds on Earth.
The DQ stuff kinda broke the game. The CC, for a long while, avoided making much for the [1E-DQ]. But things aren't as out of whack (in regards to the DQ) anymore, so more DQ stuff is in the long term plan. I'd expect the Pathfinder Project to be on the short list for new DQ content.

-crp

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:... The DQ stuff kinda broke the game. The CC, for a long while, avoided making much for the [1E-DQ]. But things aren't as out of whack (in regards to the DQ) anymore, so more DQ stuff is in the long term plan. I'd expect the Pathfinder Project to be on the short list for new DQ content.

-crp
Well said ...

I know I've posted this in the past, but based on the comments above, I think it bears repeating; 1) how screwed up 1E was after 2E arrived on the scene, and 2) How much good work the CC has done in unscrewing 1E ...

From a post on Decipher's 1E Ambassador message boards, August 2002 ....

Subj: [Amb] STCCG: The Eternal Struggle
Date: 8/14/02 10:19:02 PM Central Daylight Time

Let me add my thoughts to the discussion.

I tend to agree that Vic is broke. Yeah, yeah - I know, all the non-Borg races can use him. So what. Most affiliations can't use him effectively, and the Borg cannot use him at all, eliminating some of your main affiliations from competitive play. I also think that some of the mechanics in the Delta Quadrant Races are too strong. There is a serious problem when you have a rich game with over 10 affiliations, and to be competitive you've got to focus on one or two deck archetypes.

My intent is not to argue my thoughts on imbalance. Not everyone agrees what exactly is not balanced, but a great many of us know there is a serious problem. I think the feedback we're getting from GenCon the last day or so reinforces the point.

What to do? Not much we can do, folks. We are NOT in the center seat here, Decipher is. Best we can do is keep trying to convince the bridge we've got a core breach in progress and try and keep the crew at their posts.

As I see the current situation - good, bad or indifferent, 1E is not going to get any more cards. And the PD folks sure aren't going to waste time working a 1E problem when they've got 2E deadlines breathing down their necks. So odds are, we are probably stuck with the game as it is right now. Broke.

Pity, because I think if Decipher does abandon 1E as it is, it will have a negative carry-over effect on 2E. Why? Because 2E is going to rely hard on the same group of folks who play 1E.

If I'm right - and again, this is just my opinion - 2E will fail to hit Decipher's sales marks due to a disinterested player base and the ST line will die.

Exaggeration? Farfetched? Hey guys, our players are already casting their vote with their feet.

My suggestions to Decipher -

1) Release just enough 1E compatible cards to rough out the current game imbalances. Before you say "But card X is not imbalanced ...", AGAIN I urge to look at all the mail from your ambassadors on the subject. We are trying to tell you something important. Break out of the "there's no problem" paradigm and fix the dam thing.

2) TAKE YOUR TIME with 2E and do it right. I was involved with several of the last expansions as a Playtester, and I can tell you that the PD folks were under a he11uva lot of time pressure, and I have no doubt that many of the problems with Holodeck in particular as well as TMP was because those guys were rushed hard. I've heard twice on this list now that PD is being pushed hard to meet production deadlines. So please pass this on to Warren - you hung on long enough to give Trek a second chance - give your folks the time to do it right.

'Nuff said....

Matt Clouser
"Klauser"
STCCG Ambassador, Ronara Region
San Angelo, Texas, USA

(It should be noted I was not the only ambassador bringing this to Decipher's attention, I just don't have records of many others.)

Also, what we did NOT know at the time was how much Decipher's financial problems were pushing them to crank out as many games/expansions as they could to stop the money from bleeding out.

So ... all of this is two reinforce crp's comment of how screwed of 1E was at the end of the Decipher era, and how far the CC has gone to make the game playable and enjoyable again.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
the [1EBC] was just a marketing scheme to get 1E players to buy the new edition cards because they could get potentially cool cards for their 1E decks.

I think they would have seen more benefit from not chaining the 2E designers to an preconceptions about what the cards should be like, but I understand back then that people didn't have access to resources to find out of if a game was good so that wasn't as strong of a marketing point.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Not to mention that I'm still convinced that [SF] would have been and should have been [Fed] with an era icon if not for them putting out the Enterprise Collection and hoping that 1E players would buy 2E in order to make viable decks with those cards without resorting to a ton of off theme [NA] help.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
What if we got a Pathfinder Project card that let us stack pathfinder project characters under it to leech skills and benefit from their unique special abilities. Of course... whoever is talking to them should have to earn it...

Some other fun cards missing for Voyager Alpha Quadrant: Ferengi USS Voyager (would report to your solved alpha quadrant nebula damaged), a version of The Doctor who can infiltrate Romulans, EMH Mark II Prototype, practically everything from the time travel episode to the 1990's, ❖ Prometheus Class, USS Yellowstone, Stolen Delta Flyer and her crew from timeless, plenty of material from End Game's alternate future... USS Challenger with Captain Laforge...
Last edited by enabrantain on Fri May 29, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:Not to mention that I'm still convinced that [SF] would have been and should have been [Fed] with an era icon if not for them putting out the Enterprise Collection and hoping that 1E players would buy 2E in order to make viable decks with those cards without resorting to a ton of off theme [NA] help.
:thumbsup:
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]