This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to today's First Edition Friday Question, where you get a chance to answer questions that will help shape the future of First Edition. If you'd like to catch up on previous entries, here's a list of all of my previous Friday Questions:

12 JUNE 2020: Why do you play First Edition?
5 JUNE 2020: What is 1E's biggest barrier to entry?
29 MAY 2020: What do you think of [SPOILER], a potential card from Project Londo?
22 MAY 2020: What is the worst affiliation in the game?
15 MAY 2020: Should bans be effective immediately?
8 MAY 2020: Which episode should inspire a boutique expansion?
1 MAY 2020: What was the best Star Trek gift you ever received?
24 APR 2020: How often do your [BB] dilemmas get scouted?
17 APR 2020: What do you want to know about how we work?
10 APR 2020: Should we make animated series cards?
3 APR 2020: Should we make more Tribbles/Troubles?
27 MAR 2020: Should we develop new [Q] cards?
20 MAR 2020: What regions should we focus on in the future?
13 MAR 2020: How would you feel about 1E adding extra "bits"?
6 MAR 2020: What are your favorite "almost good" S/P dilemmas?
28 FEB 2020: What are your favorite decks to play?
21 FEB 2020: Which Decipher expansion most deserves a sequel?
14 FEB 2020: Which "broken link" should be fixed first?
7 FEB 2020: What's your favorite episode of Star Trek?
31 JAN 2020: Which TOS main character needs a new card?
24 JAN 2020: What should qualify a card for the "watch list"?
17 JAN 2020: What card would you unban without changes?
10 JAN 2020: What single card would you ban to improve your game?
3 JAN 2020: What are you looking forward to in The Neutral Zone?
27 DEC 2019: How can we help you recruit new players?
20 DEC 2019: Where do you want the game to be in five years?
13 DEC 2019: Which concepts should 1E "import" from other games?
6 DEC 2019: Which couples should get a dual personnel card?
29 NOV 2019: Which old, unused 1E cards deserve some love?
22 NOV 2019: Which upcoming milestones need celebration?
15 NOV 2019: What's your favorite card image?
11 NOV 2019: What was your first 1E experience?
1 NOV 2019 What is your opinion of the "full page" policy?
25 OCT 2019: What do you want to see in a Halloween set?
18 OCT 2019: What is your favorite expansion?
11 OCT 2019: Which TNG main character needs a new card?
4 OCT 2019: Which Star Trek story needs more cards?
27 SEP 2019: How many points should [SPOILER] be worth?
20 SEP 2019: Which rules always confuse you?
13 SEP 2019: What do you think of [SPOILER]?
6 SEP 2019: Which card needs an alternate image (AI)?
30 AUG 2019: Which characteristic needs love?

Hello all, and welcome back to Friday. I really enjoyed reading your reasons for why you play 1E, both here and on Facebook. There were so many stories about old friends, old experiences, and wonderful memories. It was great to see and I hope that you'll keep sharing your stores, even as there is a new question for you to ponder this week.

What card concept do you most want to see added to First Edition?

Today's question is about a card - a concept, a story, a character, ship, or moment - that you most want to see added to the game. I'm not looking for finished, complete, correct cards here - but rather ideas. What's missing in the game for you? Kris Sonsteby (LORE) recently wrote to me telling me how much he wants a Klingon-specific draw engine - that's the kind of thing I'm looking for here.

(Though I should say, if you do like creating ideas for finished, complete, and correct cards, you should check out our Dream Cards forum. There are a lot of people making their own cards, and if you're interested in doing that too, you can join in the fun there.)

What is missing from 1E for you? What card would make your Vidiian deck just perfect if it existed? If you had a Kazon with X, Y, or Z, what would that enable for your favorite deck? What story is missing from the game to allow you to recreate a key episode? All reasons are valid here, we just want to know what card concept you most want to see added?

Have a great weekend! You're just two weeks and change away from newly printable promos, the July balance updates, and a new set of tournament promos that will be available in the Promenade. And after that, there are more amazing things to look forward to in the world of 1E. I can't wait to share them with you.

-crp
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Story Mode Objectives™.

The Klingon Civil War (as an example). Do this mission, then this thing, then this other mission which will win you the game or give you a significant advantage in some way. Card might provide a bonus. Possibly a hidden agenda.

TK
Last edited by bosskamiura on Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Cards that let you take action and challenge your opponent to respond or allow you some advantage.

For example, something like

Distract the Guards
Plays on an unsolved, unattempted planet mission at the start of a mission attempt. Opponent may download 2 SECURITY and 1 hand weapon here. Opponent may initiate personnel battle involving their SECURITY and OFFICER here(cannot be cancelled or prevented) and an equal number of your randomly selected personnel and hand weapons here. Your stunned personnel are captured and relocated to opponent's brig or staffed ship. You may ignore the first dilemma effect that would stop your away team during this mission attempt and Mission Debriefing cannot be revealed this turn.

Another example:
Superior Strategy Objective [HA] countdown 2

Seeds on table. Name a non-personnel card type.
You and opponent reveal any number of cards of that type from your hands.
Whoever revealed more cards of that type can immediately play one of the revealed cards.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
almost every time i watch star trek I see something that makes me say "i can't believe that isn't a card yet!" but now i'm drawing a total blank........

I think for one there is nothing from Far Beyond the Stars or Past Tense, two of DS9's best episodes that deal with the world's most troubling problems. (35th rules is from Past Tense but has little to do with the episode plot, it is just a vehicle for the Peace rule, and there is an alternate print of the Earth mission. That's it)

unless I can think of anything else I'm going to answer Gabriel Bell and Brother Benny

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote: unless I can think of anything else I'm going to answer Gabriel Bell and Brother Benny
[1E-DS9] could use some more [1E-AU] people, and this seems like a potentially interesting time location that does something cooler than just reporting a few people for free.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
DarkSabre wrote:A Dominion HQ For Cardassia.
+1
9of24 wrote:Another planet mission that has the Nebula trait.
+1

Both cool ideas! Keep the suggestions coming. For reference, I pitched the idea to Charlie just as an off-the-top of my head idea of inverting War Council. Instead of drawing 3 cards for 4 treachery, I was hoping we could make a card that would draw 3 cards for 4 honor.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
bosskamiura wrote:Story Mode Objectives™.

The Klingon Civil War (as an example). Do this mission, then this thing, then this other mission which will win you the game or give you a significant advantage in some way. Card might provide a bonus. Possibly a hidden agenda.

TK
This is the first thing that i thiught of as well. Much like the series of "betray captain" objectives.

So, yeah, that :)
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
MidnightLich wrote:What card concept do you most want to see added to First Edition?
Upload.
MidnightLich wrote:Kris Sonsteby (LORE) recently wrote to me telling me how much he wants a Klingon-specific draw engine - that's the kind of thing I'm looking for here.
Like that?
First Edition Balance Manager
By JasonRed3 (Jason Robinette)
 - First Edition Balance Manager
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:What card concept do you most want to see added to First Edition?
Upload.
I'm on board with upload. :)

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Fleet captains.

A new card type that's like a combo of Magic's Vanguard and Commander ideas. To make deck construction simpler but at the same time shake things up a little. It could also add the benefit of making some affiliations get access to mechanics they should not have by allowing it through the Fleet Captain card.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Smiley wrote:Fleet captains.

A new card type that's like a combo of Magic's Vanguard and Commander ideas. To make deck construction simpler but at the same time shake things up a little. It could also add the benefit of making some affiliations get access to mechanics they should not have by allowing it through the Fleet Captain card.
I don't play Magic... could you give a sample of what a Star Trek 1E version of this would look like?
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation