This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:But not T'Dix?
I don't see that phrase in my Klingon dictionary. Am I missing it?

I originally interpreted it as a "Two Dicks" joke, which did not ring my chimes.

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Iron Prime wrote: ... Or for inspiration a list of named characters on the shows: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Klingons
There are a lot of "K"s. Maybe stay away from K names to mix it up?
For TOS-era Klingons, the series tended to use names starting with "K" as a default, so it makes sense for most of them to do so.

Also, if you haven't already planned to use him, may I suggest Ro'suv.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Armus wrote:But not T'Dix?
I don't see that phrase in my Klingon dictionary. Am I missing it?

I originally interpreted it as a "Two Dicks" joke, which did not ring my chimes.
I don't have a Klingon dictionary, so any translation would be purely coincidental.

Your interpretation is correct. Why don't you like fun?

J'aq, D'Anels, and Q'oke are also fun.

Klingon Dictionary... psssh. Why so serious? :P
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:Your interpretation is correct. Why don't you like fun?
I'm trying to get into the head of my honorable warrior Klingons over here for a good game of First Edition: The Star Trek Roleplaying Game On Cards. And then I get distracted by a penis joke. The first time you see the card, you might chuckle, if your eyeroll reflex doesn't kick in. By the tenth time you see the card, it's dumb and feels dumb. The hundredth time, it's just a disappointment.

Particularly when Klingons have such a well-developed and fascinating language (have you ever read anything about Klingon syntax? Amazing!), it's like, why are we bastardizing it like this when we could have bizarre-looking words like "nuqneH" (only Klingon greeting; lit. "what do you want?!") on our cards?

So I have declared against your idea not because I hate fun, but because I love fun and want to protect it from dick jokes!

While we're on the subject of James' Most Unpopular Opinions: lore jokes, especially lore jokes about other roles the same actor played, should be limited to once per 54 cards. (I'd ban them completely, but they're a tradition from Decipher Times.)

Also, my road to school was uphill both ways, we only got snow days if there were 18" of snow, and get off my lawn, grumble grumble curmudge.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
BCSWowbagger wrote:While we're on the subject of James' Most Unpopular Opinions: lore jokes, especially lore jokes about other roles the same actor played, should be limited to once per 54 cards. (I'd ban them completely, but they're a tradition from Decipher Times.)
 -  
Community Contributor
Q: How do you know BCSWowbagger is out of ammo?
A: Because he pulls the stick out of his ass to use as a backup weapon.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Armus wrote:Your interpretation is correct. Why don't you like fun?
I'm trying to get into the head of my honorable warrior Klingons over here for a good game of First Edition: The Star Trek Roleplaying Game On Cards. And then I get distracted by a penis joke. The first time you see the card, you might chuckle, if your eyeroll reflex doesn't kick in. By the tenth time you see the card, it's dumb and feels dumb. The hundredth time, it's just a disappointment.

Particularly when Klingons have such a well-developed and fascinating language (have you ever read anything about Klingon syntax? Amazing!), it's like, why are we bastardizing it like this when we could have bizarre-looking words like "nuqneH" (only Klingon greeting; lit. "what do you want?!") on our cards?

So I have declared against your idea not because I hate fun, but because I love fun and want to protect it from dick jokes!

While we're on the subject of James' Most Unpopular Opinions: lore jokes, especially lore jokes about other roles the same actor played, should be limited to once per 54 cards. (I'd ban them completely, but they're a tradition from Decipher Times.)

Also, my road to school was uphill both ways, we only got snow days if there were 18" of snow, and get off my lawn, grumble grumble curmudge.
So you're saying if I pitched it to you not as a dick joke, but as a Discovery Easter Egg, you still wouldn't be in favor? What if he came along with 53 of his properly-syntaxed-in-Klingon best friends?
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Also, my road to school was uphill both ways, we only got snow days if there were 18" of snow, and get off my lawn, grumble grumble curmudge.
You got snow days for only 18" of snow? Lucky!

(Not even kidding here - because we don't want kids to show up to school and find out it's closed in -FU degree weather, the phrasing here is "schools are open but buses are not running". I have - not a word of a lie - been one of only four kids in school.)
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: Also, my road to school was uphill both ways, we only got snow days if there were 18" of snow, and get off my lawn, grumble grumble curmudge.

(Not even kidding here - because we don't want kids to show up to school and find out it's closed in -FU degree weather, the phrasing here is "schools are open but buses are not running". I have - not a word of a lie - been one of only four kids in school.)
When I was a freshman in high school, I went to school through one of our 1-day Chicago blizzards. Ended up getting to school with a coating of snow all across my front, which of course melted as soon as I got inside, leaving me wet the rest of the day. And I was one of only a handful of people in all of my classes that day.

Taught me not to bother trying to get to school the next 3 years. Valuable lesson learned!
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:So you're saying if I pitched it to you not as a dick joke, but as a Discovery Easter Egg, you still wouldn't be in favor? What if he came along with 53 of his properly-syntaxed-in-Klingon best friends?
If you changed it from "Two Dicks" to the Klingon equivalent ("cha'InSep"? I'm quite sure that's wrong), I'd be down as an easter egg. But it's hardly an easter egg if it's just an English phrase masked into pidgin Klingon.

(Of course, Creative may object to the whole idea of using Okrand-era tlhIngan Hol for OS-era Klingons, which I could respect.)

As for snow, my high school did once refuse to close when every other local school had already closed. Seniors protested outside the headmaster's office before and between classes, until it became obvious that we were going to get snowed in. So they finally cancelled the school day at 10:30 AM.

Of course, by that point, all the parents had already gone in to work, and snow was pouring out of the sky at a quick pace, so the day devolved into a logistical nightmare -- all classes cancelled, but many kids stranded at school for hours, some until well after nightfall, parents furious about having to come collect their kids in a blizzard after just two hours of class.

After that incident (I was a freshman), my school became much more aggressive about cancelling school.

Still, for all my Minnesotan bluster, much of Canada still has us beat for snow stalwartness.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Let's keep derailing this thread, shall we? :wink:

True story - the only time I remember school being cancelled was because of the cold, not the snow. Everyone went to work, I slept in, and then decided I was going to make some lunch and walk down to my friends house. He lived 5 or 6 houses away. I decided to make hot dogs, because at 12 years old what else do you know how to make? I boiled them, ate one, and then walked down to his house eating the other. That 2nd hotdog FROZE solid before I got to his house. It went from hot to frozen again, bun, dog, and all in less than 3 minutes.

By sevencrdspud (Jason Beyer)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote:
AllenGould wrote:

When I was a freshman in high school, I went to school through one of our 1-day Chicago blizzards. Ended up getting to school with a coating of snow all across my front, which of course melted as soon as I got inside, leaving me wet the rest of the day. And I was one of only a handful of people in all of my classes that day.

Taught me not to bother trying to get to school the next 3 years. Valuable lesson learned!
Hu'Qyee
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Takket wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:53 pm in honor of Marc Okrand who wrote the original Klingon dictionary.........

Ok'Rand
Congrats Takket!

Your suggestion became Mok'Rand, featured in today's Article! As a result, you win Charlie's promised release promo from A Private Little War!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]