This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
One of the ongoing issues for STCCG, or any CCG really that's been running for a long time is where to start for a new player.

Magic, as the last surviving grand dame of the first generation of CCGs has approached this in a few different ways, ranging from rotation to limited gameplay being one of the great play experiences.

This last month, they release their latest experiment in limited play, Jumpstart.

There are 121 different possible Jumpstart packs. With 41 different themes (I believe.)

Each pack is a non-random, curated list of 20 cards, 8 of witch are lands and the others are all on theme.

You pick two packs at random, or in the more draft style, are given three choices at random, pick one, then repeat with another choice of three.

You then take the two packs, shuffle and play.

I has been fantastic for me to play with my 9 year old, and has caused me to make several similar packs of my own to add to the collection.

It's great because each game feels fresh and different, like a good limited game, and the different themes work together differently.

That got me thinking about STCCG, especially 1e.

What would a ST equivalent look like? Each theme could have 3 missions (1 Planet, 1 Space, 1 of either.) and three dilemma combos (And, 1 planet, 1 space, 1 either.).

Include 1 facility and 5 other seeds, and you have 15 seeds.

Then a 20ish card deck based around the theme.

Pick 2, mash them together and play it out.

Goal would be a fun limited environment that would be easy for new players to pick up and get a feel for the different affiliations and factions.

It would also be a way to have balance between the factions based on what is included.

Like most limited formats, it might need a few rules, such as an automatic treaty, and a way to move space lines. (Like the often proposed Intergalactic space people could move to, be stopped, then move to a spaceline end.)

Also, I don't think the Borg would work, unless using 2 Borg decks. (Which could be a fun archenemy/boss style variant.)

Thoughts? Is this something I should bother exploring and trying to create deck lists? Crazy, stupid, etc? I'll accept any responses. :)
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
boromirofborg wrote: Thoughts? Is this something I should bother exploring and trying to create deck lists? Crazy, stupid, etc? I'll accept any responses. :)
If you think it's interesting, go for it. Even if only you and yours have fun, it'll be worth it.

I'm glad you had a good time with Jumpstart - we picked up six packs, got a duplicate theme (boo), and... it was OK? No-one was particularly interested in getting more.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think it could be done. The question is if you want PAQ-style play 1 draw 1, something with free play engines, or Warp Speed rules.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Nice to see more have had this idea.

Me and the students have tried something similar like a year ago or so. If you want any feedback from our test I'd be happy to help out.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think thats a good idea (in a vacuum) because I dont think Jumpstart really brought in a lot of new players and a similiar thing would work for 1e.

There just is no one interested in the game anymore I guess. All my "Trekfriends" shy away from trying to learn card games in general, because theyre too complicated and all my TCGfriends stick to the games they know (magic and pokemon)

So I think a Jslike approach would only work with drastically reduced complexity.

at best Jebus finally gets his 1e program going and implements a tutorial :D

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
according to Marc Rosewater, Jumpstart has been, even though Covid, a massive hit in making new players for the game apparently. But as they do not release sales figures it's impossible to know. But the packs have been sold out in all shops here in Sweden since they arrived and get sold out each time they restock.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Smiley wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:50 pm according to Marc Rosewater, Jumpstart has been, even though Covid, a massive hit in making new players for the game apparently. But as they do not release sales figures it's impossible to know. But the packs have been sold out in all shops here in Sweden since they arrived and get sold out each time they restock.
Grain of salt time - Jumpstart also was short-shipped (or "production issues due to Covid"), which meant a lot of stores were sold out, plus a lot of price-gouging for packs that did exist. They were going for close to double sticker price up here when they first dropped, for instance.

(Also - I would have some skepticism because it was... fine. It was an OK product, but it was compromised by them adding more "chase" crap into it.)

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Maro just says marketing bs. Yeah it sells well bc of ludicrous single prices. To old players. Not a single new player bought a pack (or had the chance to) in our lgs
Ambassador
By Comicbookhero (Michael Moskop)
 - Ambassador
 -  
I admit I was one of those people that Jumpstart pulled back into Magic. I saw a Reddit ad for playing Jumpstart on MTG:Arena and I was intrigued. I downloaded the client and between the ease of Arena, and the literal jumpstart to a collection of cards you get by playing Jumpstart, I was hooked. Thanks to that, I have dived back into Magic after many years away from it. (I haven't really played since 7th Edition.) Now I have been even buying paper Magic, watching a bunch of MTG Youtube channels, and brewing decks. I am just hoping that all of the comments coming from WOTC about Jumpstart being "evergreen" and more print runs coming to make up for the COVID snafus. I would love to buy some at a reasonable price and save them just to have some fun random games.

I would love to see some aspects of Jumpstart applied to STCCG. Yes, it would be a great teaching tool, but I also think it would be fun for a "just sit down and play" format.
Last edited by Comicbookhero on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Or you just download the Coming of Age TNG Starters: use those and mix in some PAQ packs :)

We have the best stuff to get new players into the game IMO. Those being the TNG starters.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I felt like building a few 1e Jumpstart Starterdecks.

Fed Engineers
https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... ckID=24152

FED Captains
https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... ckID=24159

Fed Lovers
https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... ckID=24151

Klingon Meds
https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... ckID=24143

Rom Homeworlds
https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... ckID=24146

NA Colony
https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... ckID=24148
NA Borg
https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... ckID=24162
BAJORANS
https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... ckID=24164

I come to the conclusion the decks want 6 fixed seeds in each deck
Open Diplomatic Relations
Treaty: Federation/Romulan/Klingon
Call for Reinforcements
New Arrivals
+ 1 Outpost
+Dead End

+ 9 Dilemma at best P/S ones

thats 15 /15 seeds each deck needs. But since 4-5 seeds will be doubled, we need to add 4-5 extra cards, which makes it necessary to adjust our seedcards. In Magic you can just smash the decks together without thinking, we cant do that.

I added one P and one S Dilemma to the mix, as well as Federation Flagship: Recovered and Villagers With Torches and AMS
so a deck of 2 Jumpstart "packs" has them in the seed as well. Giving each JS pack 20 seeds.

I went for 20 cards draw, including 2 ships. That should be good, since both players start with a ❖ ship anyway.

I have some ideas for more "themed" JS decks. It might end at 3x FED, KLG, ROM, NA packs that can be played together. Other affiliations are kinda ruled out because they lack a compatible treaty. Bajorans can join though. For beginners, that should be enough.
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

Interested but as you know life is a bit nuts with[…]

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]