This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Fear me, and my severely outdated "secret" strategies!

I always wanted this one back in the day but never picked one up. I finally have. Shipping was more than the actual cost of the book.

I am glad that I got my Data Laughing copies through the I2PG though since this version is used and it's a little late for several reasons to redeem the offer on the cover anyway.
Attachments:
IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0806.jpg (863.83 KiB) Viewed 1218 times

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Awwwwwwww shit! Now you're familiar with the 50 most powerful cards in the game, we're all screwed!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Klauser wrote:I would ruthlessly mock you - but it seems I also have one of these on my shelf ...
Mock?! Hell, I dug mine out of my parents' basement when I was back visiting last month. It's PROUDLY part of my library now.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I too have this book and the good news for me is I had it back when it was actually semi relevant. Not sure how much water it holds now but I do remember back in the day building decks with the words given in this book.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Slayer07 wrote:I too have this book and the good news for me is I had it back when it was actually semi relevant. Not sure how much water it holds now but I do remember back in the day building decks with the words given in this book.
Oh, it stopped being relevant aaaages ago. I used to have a copy but I think it got disposed of in a move.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Slayer07 wrote:I too have this book and the good news for me is I had it back when it was actually semi relevant. Not sure how much water it holds now but I do remember back in the day building decks with the words given in this book.
Oh, it stopped being relevant aaaages ago. I used to have a copy but I think it got disposed of in a move.
Yeah I know. I had it about the time of First Anthology when I first decided to get into the STCCG so at least it was still semi relevant then I think. But yeah it has been a long, long, long time since it was relevant. Now it's around for nostalgia.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I've only glanced through it so far, but one thing stuck out at me. Early Decipher seems more willing to let players go with "common sense from the episode" than our focus now of "Design as if a player has never seen an episode of Trek." This is probably because high level competitive play wasn't a thing then and "common sense from the episode" is likely to cause unresolvable disagreements that "Play it as the card says" doesn't.

I'm getting this from what's basically an FAQ in the back and it's talking about REM Fatigue Hallucinations (and other Dilemmas that wouldn't affect androids) vs. androids and Exocomps (back when those were two separate things). Nothing on the card suggests it doesn't affect artificial life, but Trek Sense dictates that it shouldn't. The answer (not to be confused with DAnswerMan, unless he wrote it) suggests players should just utilize their Trek Sense and offers an optional house rule that the Dilemma can be ignored if the majority of the crew are artificial life (IE not enough of the crew affected to destroy the ship).

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:I've only glanced through it so far, but one thing stuck out at me. Early Decipher seems more willing to let players go with "common sense from the episode" than our focus now of "Design as if a player has never seen an episode of Trek." This is probably because high level competitive play wasn't a thing then and "common sense from the episode" is likely to cause unresolvable disagreements that "Play it as the card says" doesn't.

I'm getting this from what's basically an FAQ in the back and it's talking about REM Fatigue Hallucinations (and other Dilemmas that wouldn't affect androids) vs. androids and Exocomps (back when those were two separate things). Nothing on the card suggests it doesn't affect artificial life, but Trek Sense dictates that it shouldn't. The answer (not to be confused with DAnswerMan, unless he wrote it) suggests players should just utilize their Trek Sense and offers an optional house rule that the Dilemma can be ignored if the majority of the crew are artificial life (IE not enough of the crew affected to destroy the ship).
You're right about that I think. The thing is as also explained at the start that STCCG was like the second game to be developed after Magic The Gathering so there was literally no such thing as competitive play at that point. Raise the Stakes is also an example of early market assumptions, Decipher never thought players would get so attached to their cards.

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote: ... I'm getting this from what's basically an FAQ in the back and it's talking about REM Fatigue Hallucinations (and other Dilemmas that wouldn't affect androids) vs. androids and Exocomps (back when those were two separate things). Nothing on the card suggests it doesn't affect artificial life, but Trek Sense dictates that it shouldn't. The answer (not to be confused with DAnswerMan, unless he wrote it) suggests players should just utilize their Trek Sense and offers an optional house rule that the Dilemma can be ignored if the majority of the crew are artificial life (IE not enough of the crew affected to destroy the ship).
Very true about "trek sense". From the 1994 STCCG rule book (the card-sized paper rule book that came in the Premier starter decks):

"If a situation arises that is unclear or not addressed in these rules, simply use common sense to resolve the issue within the spirit of Star Trek:The Next Generation, then proceed with the game." (pg 3)
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Klauser wrote:Very true about "trek sense". From the 1994 STCCG rule book (the card-sized paper rule book that came in the Premier starter decks):

"If a situation arises that is unclear or not addressed in these rules, simply use common sense to resolve the issue within the spirit of Star Trek:The Next Generation, then proceed with the game." (pg 3)
Although narrowed quite a bit, this exhortation is still there in the current Rulebook! Under "About This Rulebook":
The various rule documents, the rulesmaster, your local tournament directors, and the CC forums are always available to answer your rules questions. If you want a definitive answer, you can always find it, usually from an enthusiastic player.

That said, if you and your gaming partners need to resolve a rules dispute quickly, especially during a casual game, try applying a little "Trek Sense": if this were an episode of Star Trek (or, if you're not familiar with Star Trek, the science fiction of your choice), how do you and your gaming partner think the situation should resolve? Look at it in the friendly spirit of Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future, then proceed with the game.
 -  
Community Contributor
I've always found those to be a bit of a cop-out in serious games.

Sure, in your Munchkins, defaulting to "yeah, owner of the game is always right" (and the current FAQ actually suggests buying your own copy if you don't like how the current guy rules!) is fine to keep things moving. And for casual games where you don't care who wins, hey - do whatever floats your boat.

But I read those clauses and think "wouldn't that be funny in chess?" ;)

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Klauser wrote:Very true about "trek sense". From the 1994 STCCG rule book (the card-sized paper rule book that came in the Premier starter decks):

Although narrowed quite a bit, this exhortation is still there in the current Rulebook! Under "About This Rulebook":
The various rule documents, the rulesmaster, your local tournament directors, and the CC forums are always available to answer your rules questions. If you want a definitive answer, you can always find it, usually from an enthusiastic player.

That said, if you and your gaming partners need to resolve a rules dispute quickly, especially during a casual game, try applying a little "Trek Sense": if this were an episode of Star Trek (or, if you're not familiar with Star Trek, the science fiction of your choice), how do you and your gaming partner think the situation should resolve? Look at it in the friendly spirit of Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future, then proceed with the game.
So Data has always been the matching commander of the Sutherland all this time...

:shifty:
 -  
Community Contributor
sexecutioner wrote: So Data has always been the matching commander of the Sutherland all this time...

No, because that's *obviously* not a picture of Data on the Sutherland. And don't you think of playing Uhura there, because they never appeared on-screen together and it makes no trek se....

Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]