This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I wouldn't actually cut any of the treaties that have already been published. They're part of the game now, and none of them are so problematic to deserve the axe. They enable diverse deck types and that's fine. (We should probably have a few more cards that reward you for playing a single affiliation, so there's less reason to seed a treaty -- but, honestly, play engines themselves do a lot of this work for us today.)

But, if I went back in time to argue with Design before a card got published...

I'd cut Treaty: Federation/Cardassian. There are several treaties that just seem kinda weird to me (like Treaty: Bajoran/Romulan, or even Federation/Romulan), but this is the most popular of the weirdo batch. It gives Cardassians access to terrific Fed toys while giving Fed a bit of a backdoor excuse for a little shooty-shooty. And it just never feels natural on the table. Like, sure, there was a settlement of the border wars, but that's not the same as them being so buddy-buddy that they staff each others' ships.

As for a treaty I would add...

...hm...

...this might break something, but Ferengi/Dominion. Both affiliations have sufficiently well-developed flavor that giving them a treaty wouldn't erase their identities. I know Where Opportunities Are Made already kinda gives them a pseudo-treaty, but that is one of the deck's many headaches.

Honestly, almost every plausible treaty card has already been made, and even some of the implausible ones.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Cut:
None

Add:

[Car] / [Kli] just so my draft cube format has its one weird missing piece filled

[Dom] / [1E-DS9] [Fer] Basically what james said and b/c Ferengi are basically not played and in particular [1E-DS9] [Fer] b/c they are just too difficult to manage. Make this and let us mad scientists have fun.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Id like to see a treaty with ferengi, maybe with an upkeep cost of 1 latinum per turn :cheersL:

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Ensign Q wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:38 am Id like to see a treaty with ferengi, maybe with an upkeep cost of 1 latinum per turn :cheersL:
I like this, but I think 1 per turn is too high. Maybe have a counter of 2 on it and owner may discard 1 Gold-Pressed Latinum to reset the counter.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I think my issue with treaties is similar to the issue I have with espionage. Too many cards that are 12 variants of the same card with only the names changed.

I'd like it much better if the treaties all came with a variation of a bonus or negative OR if there was a generic treaty that worked for any two non-Borg affiliations.

By Blueshift
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
boromirofborg wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:56 pm I think my issue with treaties is similar to the issue I have with espionage. Too many cards that are 12 variants of the same card with only the names changed.

I'd like it much better if the treaties all came with a variation of a bonus or negative OR if there was a generic treaty that worked for any two non-Borg affiliations.
This! Perhaps I would like it more if we had missions or objectives that reward you for playing specific treaties or even a number of treaties to make more sense of this proliferation of quasi identical cards (like a Babel diplomatic conference objective).

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]