This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
This was a random thought I had and now I'm curious on people's opinions:

1) If you could eliminate one treaty card from the game, which would it be and why?

and conversely,

2) What treaty, if any, needs to be made, that does not yet exist?

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I wouldn't remove any, but I've always wanted to add a generic Treaty card. With such a card, you could declare any two affiliations to be in a Treaty, but as a tradeoff, generic Treaties are not immune to Kevin Uxbridge, and thus either Kevin or The Devil could discard them.

If I really want a [SF] / [Hir] treaty deck, then who is this game to tell me I'm wrong? ;)

I'd also add in some sort of "Founding of the Federation" Event that would function like a [SF] / [Fed] Treaty, but not be nullifiable or play for free or have some sort of other bonus to it. I still strongly feel that without Decipher trying to push 2E onto 1E fans, [SF] would have been [Fed] with a special icon in the first place. [Vul] could also end up involved, but that might make for a too powerful triple affiliation and create problems should people like the Andorians or Xindi ever end up affiliations.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
OKCoyote wrote:This was a random thought I had and now I'm curious on people's opinions:

1) If you could eliminate one treaty card from the game, which would it be and why?
[Rom] / [Kli] Even the treaty card itself mentioned they are bitter enemies.
This card probably only exists for gameplay reasons in premiere, since all three possible treaties at the time exist.

[Bor] / [1E-DQ] [Fed]
This would be cool for maybe not a full treaty but some Objective or Incident that allows certain Borg with Voyager property logo and Fed Voyager personnel/ships to work together towards a common goal described in the Objective for some points, and would allow these Borg to attempt missions.
Something for an upcoming Voyager block maybe :D

cooool :thumbsup:
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
TyKajada wrote: 2) What treaty, if any, needs to be made, that does not yet exist?

[Bor] / [1E-DQ] [Fed]
This would be cool for maybe not a full treaty but some Objective or Incident that allows certain Borg with Voyager property logo and Fed Voyager personnel/ships to work together towards a common goal described in the Objective for some points, and would allow these Borg to attempt missions.

Wow. Outstanding idea TyKajada. I'm pinning an imaginary Forum Medal on you for that treaty idea.

Make it so.

By Ausgang (Gerald Sieber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
TyKajada wrote:
OKCoyote wrote:This was a random thought I had and now I'm curious on people's opinions:

[Rom] / [Kli] Even the treaty card itself mentioned they are bitter enemies.
This card probably only exists for gameplay reasons in premiere, since all three possible treaties at the time exist.
Actually, there are also thematic reasons for its existence when the Duras faction allied with Romulans during the Klingon Civil War. Granted there was no formal treaty between their governments, but that hasn't been the only qualification for designing treaties. On similar regard, the weirdest treaty for me is still [Fed] / [Dom] which is solely based on their brief cooperation on Vandros IV. Other than that, there wasn't much cooperation between them, unlike the Klingon and Romulan Empires which were in fact allied during the Dominion War.

However, I wouldn't like both of them be gone.
OKCoyote wrote: 2) What treaty, if any, needs to be made, that does not yet exist?

With the treaty subfunction of The Vidiian Sodality and The Kazon Collective having been removed, I'd like to see some [1E-DQ] treaties.
jjh wrote:
TyKajada wrote: [Bor] / [1E-DQ] [Fed]
Wow. Outstanding idea TyKajada. I'm pinning an imaginary Forum Medal on you for that treaty idea.

Make it so.
I can already feel the Rules Team trembling just for stating the idea :D

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ausgang wrote:On similar regard, the weirdest treaty for me is still [Fed] / [Dom] which is solely based on their brief cooperation on Vandros IV. Other than that, there wasn't much cooperation between them, unlike the Klingon and Romulan Empires which were in fact allied during the Dominion War.
This treaty has always felt weird to me for the same reason; I always thought the card should have had an [1E-AU] icon with the "story" being the treaty under negotiation in the Vorta simulation from "The Search."
Boffo97 wrote:I wouldn't remove any, but I've always wanted to add a generic Treaty card. With such a card, you could declare any two affiliations to be in a Treaty, but as a tradeoff, generic Treaties are not immune to Kevin Uxbridge, and thus either Kevin or The Devil could discard them.
I do like the idea of a nerfed generic Treaty... perhaps also not seedable with Open Diplomatic Relations or even with a countdown (the card story could be a temporary collaboration, like what actually happened on Vandros IV)

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
The [1E-DQ] [Fed] + [Bor] treaty would require deck construction rule changes because you can't even include [Bor] cards in a deck with other affiliations. There are many other rules problems so I would vote no, but, I think some non-aligned Borg could be created to represent these scenarios in the Voyager storyline. Or maybe an objective could download a Borg Queen from outside the game and possibly a couple drones (once per game, limit 2 drones, etc)
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  

::twitches wildly, then remembers he isn't in charge of rules anymore::

I'm listening...
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
geraldkw wrote:The [1E-DQ] [Fed] + [Bor] treaty would require deck construction rule changes because you can't even include [Bor] cards in a deck with other affiliations. There are many other rules problems so I would vote no, but, I think some non-aligned Borg could be created to represent these scenarios in the Voyager storyline. Or maybe an objective could download a Borg Queen from outside the game and possibly a couple drones (once per game, limit 2 drones, etc)
I'll join Jon in pointing out that Borg + anyone = a massive rules flustercluck. Not just on the whole "you can't put Borg and non-Borg in the same deck", but every step of the way - [Bor] can't attempt missions, non-[Bor] can't do objectives... if it's even possible without completely changing normal Borg, it's probably faster to just create a new affiliation of VoyBorg.

I don't have my notes handy, but if I was adding a treaty I'd be looking to complete another "love triangle" (e.g. Fed-Rom-Kli), which makes building sealed cubes easier. :)

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
TyKajada wrote:
OKCoyote wrote: 2) What treaty, if any, needs to be made, that does not yet exist?
[Bor] / [1E-DQ] [Fed]

This is something I had long wanted to see from Scorpion. A card for each version where Borg can get a [Cmd] personnel from outside the game and one for Feds to get a [Bor] drone from outside the game.

Additionally, another Treaty-esque card I thought would be cool is for [Fer] based on the 98th Rule of Acquisition, "Every man has his price." I'm thinking it could be a countdown card that lets X personnel mix with your [Fer] and you could discard X Gold Pressed Latinum to reset the countdown.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired

All Federation Treaties. They don't need them and mechanically they just make everything better. So No to them or seriously hamper them in some way.

[/quote]

The whole treaty thing needs to be remade so that there is an incentive to actually treaty up and not just play two affiliations side by side instead of a treaty deck where you need to intermix everything.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

and conversely,

The Klingon/Romulan treaty is out of place in premier referring to the 23rd century and should only work with [OS]

perhaps something in the spirit of the TNG episode The Chase: Treaty: [Fed] [Kli] [Rom] [Car] , allows them to mix as long as you don't battle.... may nullify 1 dilemma at hunt for DNA program if your away team has all 4 affiliations.... something like that.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
This was on my list too but rules just doesn't allow it... BUT....... you could pull some "download from outside the game" shenanigans ala Consume: Outpost. Borg player gives opponent an empty voyager. wouldn't work the other way because you can't be giving [Bor] to a non- [Bor] player.

thought was you'd tow Voyager with Activate Tractor Beam across the delta quadrant, score a point for ever unit of span you pass? But this is more suitable for an objective than a treaty, i suppose.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Smiley wrote:1) If you could eliminate one treaty card from the game, which would it be and why?

All Federation Treaties. They don't need them and mechanically they just make everything better. So No to them or seriously hamper them in some way.
I disagree here. While I agree the Federation doesn't 'need' treaties there is plenty of reason for it. For all of TNG, most of DS9 and Voyager they are allies with the Klingons. Unless creative wants to make a Federation DS9, Kira, Odo, Rom and bunch of other random Bajorans I'd say that treaty with the Bajorans is very vital to many DS9 decks let alone the fact it is basically pretty thematic. I can see the removal of some Federation treaties, primarily the ones that have always been more antagonistic like the Dominion, the Cardassians and even the Romulans aside from the three way Dominion war oriented treaty.

As for treaties I'd like to see would be one for [Bor] [Fed] [Kli] as we'd seen through most of the latter half of DS9.
LuthySloan wrote: and i would add:
[Fed] [1E-DS9] + [Fed] [EE]
Why? They're already all Fed and can work together. What's the point?

The weird thing about treaties is they're made with for random reason rather it makes sense or not. For example he Federation/Klingon one makes perfect sense as I explained above. The Federation/Romulan treaty doesn't make as much sense as it just basically goes into the creation of the Neutral Zone and the restriction on Federation cloaks, basically the exact opposite of a real treaty that allows affiliations to work together.

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.