This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
These missions are very daunting. You have to split your available personnel into an away team and a crew for the ship, making it easy to fall prey to anything that punishes a lack of skill diversity/depth, such as V'ger, Ankari Spirits or lose the ship to "God" and the mission is over.

Sure they are high point value missions, but that's not a reward in this case. Your opponent can set up a dilemma combo they can easily bypass with ship and AT and steal your mission easily (unless you are also seeding dilemmas under your own mission).

Sure, they count as solving both a planet and space mission, but it's simply easier to solve two missions in almost all cases.

I feel like we need some objectives or other cards that provide a meaningful reward for solving these missions, and/or make them non-stealable, or they aren't going to see much play ever again.

Or maybe I am wrong? Let me know what you think, and if the design team has ever pondered these issues with these interesting but maybe "useless" missions.

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
One benefit to Dual icon missions is that when you encounter a dual dilemma there, you as the attempter get to choose what set of people get to encounter it (crew or awayteam). This can help you break up a combo that relies on dual dilemmas.

- James M
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Solving one of these can be costly, but, at the end, you've solved both a planet and a space mission.

And they can really destabilize an opponent's expected dilemma combos.

I think one reason we don't see more use of them is that they are unpredictable, and average deckbuilders HATE unpredictability.

Another reason is that nearly all of them have very difficult requirements and are stealable, which is two more things deckbuilders hate.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:stealable, which is two more things deckbuilders hate.
Yes, this is probably the worst problem with them. Your opponent can put dilemmas that are easy to pass if they know what they are, but a death sentence if you haven't prepared both the AT and crew for them.
Orbin wrote:One benefit to Dual icon missions is that when you encounter a dual dilemma there, you as the attempter get to choose what set of people get to encounter it (crew or awayteam). This can help you break up a combo that relies on dual dilemmas.
And I think with the so many decks running few non-S/P dilemmas this might be an advantage, but it would have to be tested. I think it's still going to be a slow process because you are going to lose one team or the other (even if just to being stopped), meaning queuing up another crew or AT and trying again(assuming you weren't stopped completely at that point by apparently everyone's favorite card these days: Mission Debriefing)
European OP Coordinator
 - European OP Coordinator
 -  
My 2 :twocents: :

I am a Dilemma Combo Player - means that I attend a tournament with quite fixed Dilemma Combos (normally two planet, two space, two complete dual). In normal games this works just fine for me, but as soon as I see a dual Mission it's horrible for me.

So I cannot agree with you that dual missions are too difficult / too easy stealealbe in comprison to the "difficulties" you give your Opponent on dilemmas...

:cheersL: :cheersL: :cheersL: :borg: :cheersR: :cheersR: :cheersR:

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Enabran wrote:I do like this Mission. It is not really hard to solve and unstealable.
And you can seed Starbase 247 there as well.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Enabran wrote:I do like this Mission. It is not really hard to solve and unstealable.
Since this is pretty new it has the benefit of the designers recognizing potential problems with dual missions.

One thing I find weird is the specification of "a staffed ship in orbit..." I guess that doesn't even have to be the ship that attempts the mission, which seems a bit weird, but okay.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i like running them, because it usually messes with opponents seed strategies and if they end up puttin S/P Dilemma there, you can chose who is affected. Its great.
Its also very useful to seed Duckblind and Starbase 247 at the same location and staff it turn1.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
pfti wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:56 pm run 2 duals and 4 space and watch their planet combos burn
why would planet combos burn? you still have to solve with an away team. makes no difference, except you are now weak to balancing act, running 6 space and 2 planets. :shifty:

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]