This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
I wasn't sure how this community feels about necrobumping vs new topics, so I erred on new topics. Apologies if I guessed wrong!

My 10 year old is starting to really get into star trek this week (his lego armada is something to behold, he took offense that everything on bricklink are the Enterprises).

I realized I still had my premier cards from when I played back in the 90s and busted them out to play with my son. I couldn't find my rulebook from my initial starter deck, and a quick google lead me here.... I never had a lot, just some premier, and a few alt universe and q cards. My brother and I would make decks from my collection (later to be called a cube, thanks MTG). We never played in shops, cons, or tournies. We were the casual players. I has this, MTG 4th edition era, some Star Wars CGG, and Babylon 5 CCG (which is probably my favorite CCG). I eventually quit because things got to complicated -- too many new types and keywords. Magic added phasing in Mirage, and that was too much for my keen teen mind. The Q expansion just piled it on. The companies needed to find some way to con us into buying more cards -- and the golden age of CCGs finally collapsed under its own weight.

20 years later I helped my son build a rough learning deck, I pre coached that he never played before so, win or lose it is just about experiencing what the game is like. He lost and loved it!

My observations, being 36 instead of 12, and embarrassing amount of board games in my collection, and returned to MTG for Return to Ravnica -- 2018...

I have not played 2e but read the 20 page rules. Like the description says, 2e seems like a star trek themed card game while 1e seems like an open adventure with cards constructing and guiding the narrative. I like this. Sometimes the lack of a stricter turn structure bothers me (how often can I beam someone? When? Did I not read the new rules enough?) Wizards printing what the expansion-unique name effects do on the card itself blew my mind when I started MtG again.

I have not even looked ad the plathora of official and CC exapsnions. There have been 20 years of advancement in gaming. Catan, Dominon, Pandemic, Legacy games, Living Card Games (netrunner). Even just playing with most of the basic rules I could feel how dated some things were (it is getting late here and the post is getting long, i'll explain more later). The game also tries to do A LOT. Space missions, away teams, deploying crew, space combat, ground combat, infrastructure development. The shows had it all, but this is an honest question from me because I don't know -- in current play how often do all of these things happen? If my mostly uneducated guess is correct -- I can see why 2e really narrowed the scope.

Part of my personal magic with CCG is constructing a deck from my personal collection. Getting that booster pack for Christmas was just amazing. Even simple commons opened up the possibilities. After my Son and my game I printed the federation starter deck 2.0. It had all the cards I would of killed for. In my collection of cards Worf and Wesley Crusher are the only main-cast crew I have.

The armchair game designer in me wonders what directions I could go for my house rules for a "3e" -- a more open expansive game than 2e, able to use my printed cards, but using more modern assumptions for how a game could work. Or even variants -- what would a cooperative game look like? What would a legacy style game do? What if I take inspiration from ST: LD and figure out a way for "second contact" missions on location cards [double sided cards you flip over when the primary mission is done, I'd need to think some more]

Thanks for entertaining my rant!

By willraiman (Will Raiman)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Welcome back!

All your observations seem to be pretty spot-on. I will say, as another armchair game designer and avid player of contemporary tabletop games, 2E still feels like a top-flight game to me. My gaming group plays a lot of Gaia Project, Scythe, Great Western Trail, A Feast for Odin, and 2E.

Not taking any shots at 1E, of course; I don't play it, so I can't speak to it in depth. I think the fact that 2E may seem a little shallow from just the rulebook is a plus...it means that the rules are clean, and the depth comes from the interaction of the cards.

A number of people in the community are currently working on "3E" type projects, but I will let them come speak on such matters if they want. 2E has also recently introduced two-sided missions, but not representing "second contact". That's a cool idea, though.
croxis wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:38 am I wasn't sure how this community feels about necrobumping vs new topics, so I erred on new topics. Apologies if I guessed wrong!

My 10 year old is starting to really get into star trek this week (his lego armada is something to behold, he took offense that everything on bricklink are the Enterprises).

I realized I still had my premier cards from when I played back in the 90s and busted them out to play with my son. I couldn't find my rulebook from my initial starter deck, and a quick google lead me here.... I never had a lot, just some premier, and a few alt universe and q cards. My brother and I would make decks from my collection (later to be called a cube, thanks MTG). We never played in shops, cons, or tournies. We were the casual players. I has this, MTG 4th edition era, some Star Wars CGG, and Babylon 5 CCG (which is probably my favorite CCG). I eventually quit because things got to complicated -- too many new types and keywords. Magic added phasing in Mirage, and that was too much for my keen teen mind. The Q expansion just piled it on. The companies needed to find some way to con us into buying more cards -- and the golden age of CCGs finally collapsed under its own weight.

20 years later I helped my son build a rough learning deck, I pre coached that he never played before so, win or lose it is just about experiencing what the game is like. He lost and loved it!

My observations, being 36 instead of 12, and embarrassing amount of board games in my collection, and returned to MTG for Return to Ravnica -- 2018...

I have not played 2e but read the 20 page rules. Like the description says, 2e seems like a star trek themed card game while 1e seems like an open adventure with cards constructing and guiding the narrative. I like this. Sometimes the lack of a stricter turn structure bothers me (how often can I beam someone? When? Did I not read the new rules enough?) Wizards printing what the expansion-unique name effects do on the card itself blew my mind when I started MtG again.

I have not even looked ad the plathora of official and CC exapsnions. There have been 20 years of advancement in gaming. Catan, Dominon, Pandemic, Legacy games, Living Card Games (netrunner). Even just playing with most of the basic rules I could feel how dated some things were (it is getting late here and the post is getting long, i'll explain more later). The game also tries to do A LOT. Space missions, away teams, deploying crew, space combat, ground combat, infrastructure development. The shows had it all, but this is an honest question from me because I don't know -- in current play how often do all of these things happen? If my mostly uneducated guess is correct -- I can see why 2e really narrowed the scope.

Part of my personal magic with CCG is constructing a deck from my personal collection. Getting that booster pack for Christmas was just amazing. Even simple commons opened up the possibilities. After my Son and my game I printed the federation starter deck 2.0. It had all the cards I would of killed for. In my collection of cards Worf and Wesley Crusher are the only main-cast crew I have.

The armchair game designer in me wonders what directions I could go for my house rules for a "3e" -- a more open expansive game than 2e, able to use my printed cards, but using more modern assumptions for how a game could work. Or even variants -- what would a cooperative game look like? What would a legacy style game do? What if I take inspiration from ST: LD and figure out a way for "second contact" missions on location cards [double sided cards you flip over when the primary mission is done, I'd need to think some more]

Thanks for entertaining my rant!
Welcome back to the game. Lots of people here are similar age having played the game as teens and either sticking around up to this point or returning to the fold like I did this summer(after following the CC's activities since 2012). It's cool that your son is interested in the game. My kids are pretty young but they have seen some Star Trek and I hope to watch more with them and share this game with them as they get older/better at reading.
My son is a reluctant reader. We used MtG to get him reading :D

I'm near Portland, OR. Thank you for the offer but my printer and laminator are serving us well! I wouldn't say no though :P

Back during premier my brother and I would stack missions with a lot of dilemmas. Gameplay ended up being one ship with a giant stack of crew just to make sure there was enough of everything to make it through a mission. Dilemma seeding seemed thinner with the current rules. The requirements for my missions are fairly steep, or require a keyword I only have one or two cards for. I still ended up with one giant crew stack when I was finally ready to tackle the first possible mission. I would assume a Print-your-own-deck solves this problem as the mission-crew links are tighter.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Portland, you say? I hope you guys are okay with all the fires and smoke. I'm down in Salem, Oregon. Maybe when the apocalyptic nightmare that is 2020 clears up, we could do a meet up?

-crp
I bought a portable heppa filter a couple months ago for allergies. You do not want to see the filter. It was a bit rough, my parents were a mile from being evacuated. My inlaws are in silverton so I saw how bad it was down there. Thankfully rain finally came in.

I'm surprised there are a few players in my area. there are dozens of us!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Oh good! Another reason to shamelessly plug my kid-friendly decks!

First off, Welcome!! :cheersL:

Second off, I had a similar situation when my 8 year old expressed an interest in 1e. I took some starters that @KazonPADD made for the Coming of Age expansion release a couple years ago and combined them with The Squire's Rules for easy dilemma play.

Here's the link to the tournament we played with them:
https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ntID=11587

Just click on the individual deck icons and you can see the deck lists and then click "print decklist" to generate the pdf file that you can then print, cut, sleeve, and play! For a first game I'd recommend the classic [Fed] and [Kli] decks. You can then expand into [1E-Fer] , [1E-Rom] , and others to taste.

Once you get the basic mechanics down you can give them the 102 class by scrapping the Squire and building actual dilemma combos.

Hopefully you find that helpful. Good Luck! :cheersL:
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]