This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 105 posts
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:43 am
OKCoyote wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:25 am
sexecutioner wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:32 pm Space Hippies?
Is this a question?
Let me try to translate:

Do the Space Hippies make an appearance in A Private Little War? If not, how is it that multiple design teams spent multiple years on a [OS] block and somehow none of them managed to work in that theme?

Why doesn't Design like fun?
As someone on The Cage when we cut the Hippies, I can speak to this!

James M. mostly covered it: The Cage had room for two "subteams," but I think at that point had four or five. (I'd have to go back and check.) The Hippies were among the victims.

They had a few things working against them:

1. They were blue. Blue didn't need more cards.

2. They didn't mechanically fit well with the rest of the set.

3. They needed more (and broader, meaning non-TOS) mechanical support than we were able to give them in that set.

There's a bunch of them in the Cut File, though, awaiting a future team.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:05 pm Flintlock Rifle looks like it could be great in an Illegitimate Leader of the Empire deck. Was that planned?
I think it's great in any klingon deck. You can send in a test team and if they hit a wall immediately, lose a chump and reattempt with the wall solvers and still have the original team that tried to assist with later dilemmas or solving.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
geraldkw wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:05 pm
Takket wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:05 pm Flintlock Rifle looks like it could be great in an Illegitimate Leader of the Empire deck. Was that planned?
I think it's great in any klingon deck. You can send in a test team and if they hit a wall immediately, lose a chump and reattempt with the wall solvers and still have the original team that tried to assist with later dilemmas or solving.
A bunch of ❖ [NA] have 4 [SD]. Selot takes the cake with 5.
Last edited by Takket on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:47 pm
Another thing to try....... beam down 3 to reshirt a mission. See the first dilemma, beam down Suna and the rifle. Have Suna DL Reflection Therapy, give you a skill you need, then discard him to unstop 3 people.
Last edited by Takket on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:49 pm
Takket wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:47 pm

Another thing to try....... beam down 3 to reshirt a mission. See the first dilemma, beam down Suna and the rifle. Have Suna DL Reflection Therapy, give you a skill you need, then discard him to unstop 3 people.
Flintlock Rifle being usable in an Illigitimate Leader of the Empire deck and a [1E-DS9] KCA deck was indeed intentional. :D

I'm really looking forward to seeing how people use this equipment.

- James M
Last edited by Orbin on Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
So my earlier question must've been missed in the debate about the library computer tapes.

Why was the expansion symbol chosen to be Yarnek's head instead of something more... Klingon-related? Like... maybe the flintlock rifle?

By Cartagia
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
While I think Flintlock Rifle is a good card, what was the thought process behind creating a rifle that unstops personnel? Especially on a something like a flintlock, where a successful kill would slow someone down when reloading? And the [1E-AU] icon? The lore definitely leans to making it sound like something that should be available in the "current" timeframe.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Cartagia wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:47 am While I think Flintlock Rifle is a good card, what was the thought process behind creating a rifle that unstops personnel? Especially on a something like a flintlock, where a successful kill would slow someone down when reloading? And the [1E-AU] icon? The lore definitely leans to making it sound like something that should be available in the "current" timeframe.
My take is that by arming the "locals" the Klingons were gaining a strategic advantage, but you have to discard the [NA] personnel because escalating the arms race is causing more deaths. Not sure why the [1E-AU], maybe as a slight balancer or just because this is something from a TOS episode.

By Cartagia
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
geraldkw wrote:
Cartagia wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:47 am While I think Flintlock Rifle is a good card, what was the thought process behind creating a rifle that unstops personnel? Especially on a something like a flintlock, where a successful kill would slow someone down when reloading? And the [1E-AU] icon? The lore definitely leans to making it sound like something that should be available in the "current" timeframe.
My take is that by arming the "locals" the Klingons were gaining a strategic advantage, but you have to discard the [NA] personnel because escalating the arms race is causing more deaths. Not sure why the [1E-AU], maybe as a slight balancer or just because this is something from a TOS episode.
Yeah, that's kinda why I asked the question. It totally makes sense if it is representing only the flintlocks from the episode, but if they are meant to be a more generic weapon representing all the potential "primitive" races that are using it - as the lore box indicates - then the Trek Sense plummets.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Orbin wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:09 pm
Armus wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:43 am
OKCoyote wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:25 am

Is this a question?
Let me try to translate:

Do the Space Hippies make an appearance in A Private Little War? If not, how is it that multiple design teams spent multiple years on a [OS] block and somehow none of them managed to work in that theme?

Why doesn't Design like fun?
Design loves fun!

Space Hippies were in our design brainstorming in The Cage, but were cut early on because we had way too many things we were trying to do. Unfortunately they weren't picked up by The Neutral Zone or A Private Little War. I am hopeful they will one day resurface.

- James M
Some day I'll get that cycle of cards made. I think they will be awesome.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
jrch5618 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:24 am So why was the expansion icon chosen to be Yarnek's head instead of something more... Klingon?
It was a suggestion from the art team, and it felt fair given the high amount of Excalbian-related content in the expansion. And, as you said, the most obvious Klingon options were already taken.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Davey1983 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:06 pm What design lessons did you learn with this set?
We're all looking for ways to have players interact more, in more ways that just flying over and blowing up an opponent's ship. But this is a very difficult thing to design, to test, and to develop. Domination was a mechanic with a lot of potential, but it needed a lot more love and attention than we could give it, if we wanted to keep it from being degenerate (which we do). Hopefully, the day will come when we can give mechanics like that lots of love and get them to print.
Davey1983 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:06 pmWhat concept/card/theme was the hardest to make work that made the set?
I think the Gary Seven stuff / Assignment: Earth. I'm happy with where it ended up, giving Fed/SF players a small weapon against a Borg Stop First Contact deck. There's room for a lot more stuff from this episode, but it was surprisingly tricky to get what we wanted to work.
grendelX wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:40 pm Regarding Excaliban Genghis, shouldn’t the word mongol be capitalized? Lower case mongol is dated slang for someone affected by Down Syndrome.
This is a good catch and was not something we intended. I've already submitted the correction to Art, so we'll have it fixed by release day. Thank you.
When we moved away from Domination and towards Klingon-related equipment as a theme, we made a list of things we saw Klingons do and ideas from our testers for mechanics. The text on Flintlock Rifle was a suggestion from a tester, showing Klingons killing "natives" to get what they wanted. As for why the rifle, that's just what we picked when we made it. Creative liked it enough to keep it.

And it's got the [1E-AU] icon for two reasons - balance/power level (so it's harder to use in just any old Klingon deck), and because it represents an older weapon from the past of "our" 23rd century. The lore is meant to reflect that it was likely that Humans, Vulcans, Andorians, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, and all the "fleshy" species probably had something similar in their histories.

-crp
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]