This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 105 posts

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
I'm really excited about this expansion. It's drawing me back into 1E! I can't wait to have a Klingon Captain Taking Charge to set up a Military Protectorate to claim an Ancient Citadel.

Other than Organia or Sherman's Planet, what planet are you most looking forward to subjugating with the Klingons?

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Does New Civilizations was intended to make other affiliations similar to [Bor]? Because it is now immune to bonus points (as plus as minus) and Borg is normal immune. And, standard [BO] [Obj] gives 25 points, which means you have to complete 4 of them

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllGoodThings203 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:12 am Does New Civilizations was intended to make other affiliations similar to [Bor]? Because it is now immune to bonus points (as plus as minus) and Borg is normal immune. And, standard [BO] [Obj] gives 25 points, which means you have to complete 4 of them
Interesting point, I'm curious, and expectant that this thought occurred to the developers at at least some point in the design process.

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
geraldkw wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:08 am
AllGoodThings203 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:12 am Does New Civilizations was intended to make other affiliations similar to [Bor]? Because it is now immune to bonus points (as plus as minus) and Borg is normal immune. And, standard [BO] [Obj] gives 25 points, which means you have to complete 4 of them
Interesting point, I'm curious, and expectant that this thought occurred to the developers at at least some point in the design process.
Interestingly enough, this comparison never occurred to me.

- James M

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Is Excalbian Surak precedent for non [22] [Vul] cards, or was he just [Vul] because he's emulating Surak? It'd be cool to see the affiliation more when Vulcans are acting very... insular. Many times in lore, post-Federation, Vulcans simply take to acting like special snowflakes and not meshing well with the other faces. There was several Federation starships that were designated 100% Vulcan, like the Starship Intrepid or the USS T'Kuvma (from the baseball episode) that could be [Fed] [Vul].

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jrch5618 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:16 am Is Excalbian Surak precedent for non [22] [Vul] cards, or was he just [Vul] because he's emulating Surak? It'd be cool to see the affiliation more when Vulcans are acting very... insular. Many times in lore, post-Federation, Vulcans simply take to acting like special snowflakes and not meshing well with the other faces. There was several Federation starships that were designated 100% Vulcan, like the Starship Intrepid or the USS T'Kumbra (from the baseball episode) that could be [Fed] [Vul].
FTFY

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Did any of the cards start as "generically" Klingon - or did they all have the [OS] [Kli] qualifiers from the start?
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
jrch5618 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:16 am Is Excalbian Surak precedent for non [22] [Vul] cards, or was he just [Vul] because he's emulating Surak? It'd be cool to see the affiliation more when Vulcans are acting very... insular. Many times in lore, post-Federation, Vulcans simply take to acting like special snowflakes and not meshing well with the other faces. There was several Federation starships that were designated 100% Vulcan, like the Starship Intrepid or the USS T'Kuvma (from the baseball episode) that could be [Fed] [Vul].
Surak was also not a [22] [Vul]. We made him [Vul] because we made Kahless [Kli], so it felt fair. As for more non-[22] Vulcans, if you want those, you have to look into the past, not the future. T'Pol's grandmother or the First Contact guys as [Vul] is doable. But once the [Fed] was founded, the [Vul] and [SF] affiliations cease to exist - the cards would be [Fed] or [NA] instead.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Iron Prime wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:09 am Did any of the cards start as "generically" Klingon - or did they all have the [OS] [Kli] qualifiers from the start?
Most of them started as generic Klingons. But we realized we had to stop making tons of 3, 4, and 5+ skilled universals - the "Gozar lesson," so to speak. But by making some of the skills conditional, we could justify some more depth. Thus, the [Kli] [OS] rider was born.

There will probably be more faction personnel in the future with similar, if slightly different, riders.

-crp
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
eberlems wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:09 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:04 pm Not a designer question, per se, but is the "high IQ" reference on Roberta Lincoln a Young Frankenstein Easter egg?
That's a quote from the green cube computer in that episode.
Ah, I haven't seen the episode in a very long time, so didn't recall a direct quote like that.
 -  
Prophet
eberlems wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:09 pm is Isis realy Male?
At the moment, by rule, yes. But that's a mistake, and I'm already working with the Department to see if we can get it fixed by next Friday. If we can, we'll update it and you'll have to update your Isises? Isii?

If not, we'll fix it with errata in the future.

Please accept our apologies on this.

-crp
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]