This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 105 posts
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:19 am
Boffo97 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:46 pm On Library Record Tape, does a Computer Skill personnel need to have [OS] to gain Anthropology or Stellar Cartography?
Yes. That's a distributed [OS] icon. :)
How do we know when an Icon is distributed?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
pfti wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:52 pm
Boffo97 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:46 pm On Library Record Tape, does a Computer Skill personnel need to have [OS] to gain Anthropology or Stellar Cartography?
I'm prepared to be wrong about this, but my initial impression is that, in general, we resolve ambiguity about distribution in favor of distribution. When we don't want an icon to be distributed, we generally move the second term back before the icon. So, for this card, if we wanted the [OS] icon to not apply to Computer Skill, it would read:
Once each turn, you may select Anthropology OR Stellar Cartography. Until re-selected, your Computer Skill personnel and [OS] OFFICER personnel present gain that skill. (Unique.)
Again, I'm prepared to be wrong about this. I've probably just forgotten a dozen ambiguous cards that are traditionally resolved the other way. But I've edited enough cards where we've made exactly that kind of change, precisely to avoid ambiguity about distributed modifiers, to make me think that this is generally how it works.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
doesn't the Savage Curtain need to say "even if not in play" on the part about kirk and spock's nemesis icons? Or was the intend that you could only download the Excalbians with the icon printed on them?

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:16 pm doesn't the Savage Curtain need to say "even if not in play" on the part about kirk and spock's nemesis icons? Or was the intend that you could only download the Excalbians with the icon printed on them?
The intention is that they get the nemesis icon while in play only. Kirk and Spock are not supposed to be downloadable by the incident.

- James M

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:53 pm
pfti wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:52 pm

I'm prepared to be wrong about this, but my initial impression is that, in general, we resolve ambiguity about distribution in favor of distribution. When we don't want an icon to be distributed, we generally move the second term back before the icon. So, for this card, if we wanted the [OS] icon to not apply to Computer Skill, it would read:
Once each turn, you may select Anthropology OR Stellar Cartography. Until re-selected, your Computer Skill personnel and [OS] OFFICER personnel present gain that skill. (Unique.)
Again, I'm prepared to be wrong about this. I've probably just forgotten a dozen ambiguous cards that are traditionally resolved the other way. But I've edited enough cards where we've made exactly that kind of change, precisely to avoid ambiguity about distributed modifiers, to make me think that this is generally how it works.
For what it is worth... when i read this card I understood it to mean anyone with Computer skill, not just OS. Otherwise I would have phrased it "Your [OS] personnel with either OFFICER or Computer Skill...."

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Is there any plan to redesign the nemesis icon to be color blind friendly? I've never been officially diagnosed as color blind but some of those icons are close shades and I have problems with them especially on inkjet printed cards. I am sure some people who are "more color blind" have a harder time.

Maybe something with Greek characters since "nemesis" comes from Greek (excluding alpha through delta to avoid confusion)?

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Did Spock's Brain originally have "with "23rd century" in lore" or was it added later to reign in the power and ability to stack with other SCIENCE Filters? (love the flavor though :thumbsup: )

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
OKCoyote wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:25 am
sexecutioner wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:32 pm Space Hippies?
Is this a question?
Let me try to translate:

Do the Space Hippies make an appearance in A Private Little War? If not, how is it that multiple design teams spent multiple years on a [OS] block and somehow none of them managed to work in that theme?

Why doesn't Design like fun?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Iron Prime wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:52 am Did Spock's Brain originally have "with "23rd century" in lore" or was it added later to reign in the power and ability to stack with other SCIENCE Filters? (love the flavor though :thumbsup: )
The "23rd century" in lore was added to help balance the power of the dilemma.

- James M

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:43 am
OKCoyote wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:25 am
sexecutioner wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:32 pm Space Hippies?
Is this a question?
Let me try to translate:

Do the Space Hippies make an appearance in A Private Little War? If not, how is it that multiple design teams spent multiple years on a [OS] block and somehow none of them managed to work in that theme?

Why doesn't Design like fun?
Design loves fun!

Space Hippies were in our design brainstorming in The Cage, but were cut early on because we had way too many things we were trying to do. Unfortunately they weren't picked up by The Neutral Zone or A Private Little War. I am hopeful they will one day resurface.

- James M
Question for noob

Thanks for all your help! But how does Temporal Mi[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]