This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 105 posts

By Cartagia
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:24 am
jrch5618 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:16 am Is Excalbian Surak precedent for non [22] [Vul] cards, or was he just [Vul] because he's emulating Surak? It'd be cool to see the affiliation more when Vulcans are acting very... insular. Many times in lore, post-Federation, Vulcans simply take to acting like special snowflakes and not meshing well with the other faces. There was several Federation starships that were designated 100% Vulcan, like the Starship Intrepid or the USS T'Kuvma (from the baseball episode) that could be [Fed] [Vul].
Surak was also not a [22] [Vul]. We made him [Vul] because we made Kahless [Kli], so it felt fair. As for more non-[22] Vulcans, if you want those, you have to look into the past, not the future. T'Pol's grandmother or the First Contact guys as [Vul] is doable. But once the [Fed] was founded, the [Vul] and [SF] affiliations cease to exist - the cards would be [Fed] or [NA] instead.

-crp
Yeah, the FC guys are kind of the big blindspot right now, IMO. We eventually got aligned versions of the TNG Cardies, Ferengi, etc so I've been waiting on these since the new faction was announced.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:25 am
Iron Prime wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:09 am Did any of the cards start as "generically" Klingon - or did they all have the [OS] [Kli] qualifiers from the start?
Most of them started as generic Klingons. But we realized we had to stop making tons of 3, 4, and 5+ skilled universals - the "Gozar lesson," so to speak. But by making some of the skills conditional, we could justify some more depth. Thus, the [Kli] [OS] rider was born.

There will probably be more faction personnel in the future with similar, if slightly different, riders.

-crp
This is a good idea going forward. It doesn't really fix the past though, and makes the new cards less versatile. I'm not trying to be negative here, and I don't think it's a problem here because "generic" Klingons have lots of people and access to lots of NA people from different eras, and some of the new people are still useful even without the bonus skills, and you can theoretically just hold back the non-OS people from an away team late game to pass that last dilemma.

My hope is that after the movies set we'll be at the point where there is no need to create "rank and file" to fill out affiliations/eras, and most personnel will be created for the purpose of adding new strategies, improving existing strategies, etc... vs just making sure we actually have Biology in the affiliation.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
wasnt there supposed to be a card that helps protecting against battledecks? i got that hint back in march when i got too frustrated by blown out of orbit. sadly, nothing there. did it got cut?

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:42 am wasnt there supposed to be a card that helps protecting against battledecks? i got that hint back in march when i got too frustrated by blown out of orbit. sadly, nothing there. did it got cut?
I remember hearing there was something for this also but I am not seeing it.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Ensign Q wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:42 am wasnt there supposed to be a card that helps protecting against battledecks? i got that hint back in march when i got too frustrated by blown out of orbit. sadly, nothing there. did it got cut?
There was a card like this in testing, along with a few other meta adjusting cards. The only one to survive (making a single copy of a ❖ mission safe from mission stealing) became an OTF rule instead.

But don't worry, we'll keep trying.

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
a tactic that massively boosts defense might help for ship battles. not sure whats best to prevent invasive beam ins, but for now its silly you either draw lucky into transport inhibitor/ run the Bareil crutch or pretty much lose the game.
i really like the universal mission protection
 -  
Prophet
jrch5618 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:53 pm So, will the update to the Block Core List be on Friday, the official debut of the A Private Little War set? With the Romulan update that didn't happen from The Neutral Zone?
This is the plan, yes.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
MidnightLich wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:18 pm
eberlems wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:09 pm is Isis realy Male?
At the moment, by rule, yes. But that's a mistake, and I'm already working with the Department to see if we can get it fixed by next Friday. If we can, we'll update it and you'll have to update your Isises? Isii?

If not, we'll fix it with errata in the future.

Please accept our apologies on this.

-crp
Hi all,

This was fixed over the weekend, in both the PDF and on the site's JPEG. Isis should now properly be a female very, very good kitty.

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
HOLY THREAD NECRO, BATMAN!!

Is it too late for questions? Because I have a few...

Why does Excalbian Kahless exist in the form he was designed in?

Downloadable 2 different ways, works with anyone AND let's you double up on any skill? Did anyone see that as too much packed into one card at any point?

I know The Cage is considered the peak "We Fucked Up the power curve of the game" set in recent years (Though I could argue that Cold Front is also a contender)... what lessons did this team take away from The Cage and The Neutral Zone when designing cards for this set?

Finally, having seen the state of the game for the last 2 years... and looking back with 20/20 hindisight... what would you do differently if you could go back and re-think things knowing what you know now?

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Wow! This is an excellent idea! We should do this more often for all our released products!
Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]

I know that, when this was ruled, it was intended[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]