First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
Hello. I have a question about the last sentence on Transwarp Network Gateway. The previous sentence ends with a period. Then it says: "OR Downloads Transwarp Conduit (discard doorway)." It does not say "Plays to…"

Am I allowed to download Transwarp Conduit by discarding a seeded Transwarp Network Gateway?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jjh wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:00 am Hello. I have a question about the last sentence on Transwarp Network Gateway. The previous sentence ends with a period. Then it says: "OR Downloads Transwarp Conduit (discard doorway)." It does not say "Plays to…"

Am I allowed to download Transwarp Conduit by discarding a seeded Transwarp Network Gateway?
I don't think so. The Seed function is wholly different from either play function. For the last function, I think the "plays to" is implied, as it's a separate and distinct function from anything else on the card.

I agree the wording is a little muddy, but I don't think it does what you want it to do regardless.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:04 pm
jjh wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:00 am Hello. I have a question about the last sentence on Transwarp Network Gateway. The previous sentence ends with a period. Then it says: "OR Downloads Transwarp Conduit (discard doorway)." It does not say "Plays to…"

I don't think so. The Seed function is wholly different from either play function. For the last function, I think the "plays to" is implied, as it's a separate and distinct function from anything else on the card.

I agree the wording is a little muddy, but I don't think it does what you want it to do regardless.
You have to play it from hand to download a Transwarp Conduit.

By greenfelt
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
On a related note... I was re-reading this card again the other day. The way it reads, do I have to discard a copy of TNG in order to actually use the gateway each time? Or is it one of those that once it's in play, it can be used any time?

I've always played it using the latter, but on the re-read, I'm starting to think I've always been wrong...

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
greenfelt wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:47 pm On a related note... I was re-reading this card again the other day. The way it reads, do I have to discard a copy of TNG in order to actually use the gateway each time? Or is it one of those that once it's in play, it can be used any time?

I've always played it using the latter, but on the re-read, I'm starting to think I've always been wrong...
Yeah, you're wrong. To use the doorway to travel, you have to play either a Conduit or another copy of the Gateway.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
jrch5618 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:46 am
greenfelt wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:47 pm On a related note... I was re-reading this card again the other day. The way it reads, do I have to discard a copy of TNG in order to actually use the gateway each time? Or is it one of those that once it's in play, it can be used any time?

Yeah, you're wrong. To use the doorway to travel, you have to play either a Conduit or another copy of the Gateway.
However, Operate Wormhole Relays can help with that! If you're flying tiny ships.

By Kander77 (Lee Sneathen)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
You know I'm curious. It says you need a [SCN] Borg to play another copy of the doorway. Does that mean anyone who was a Borg, like Seven of Nine, in their lore or someone who has a [Bor] ?

By VioletBlaze (Violet Edgar)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I f a species is named in text that's also an affiliation, then the answer is both (as one as Borg is used in the lore to reference the character, not, like, "Data fought the Borg...)
All non-[Holo] personnel with a Borg subcommand icon ([SCC], [SCN] or [SCD] ) are Borg species, as well as any species also indicated in the next steps.
If the personnel's lore indicates the species, then they are the species indicated. The lore might indicate more than one species, such as "1/2 human, 1/2 Vulcan". In a case like this, the personnel belongs to each indicated species. If the lore does not otherwise indicate the species, but says they are "from" some particular planet, or a "native" of some particular planet, that indicates the species. (See characteristics.) If a non-[Bor] personnel has a Borg subcommand icon, then besides being Borg species, they are also a member of their species of origin, which will be indicated either elsewhere in lore or by the following step.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Kander77 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:26 pm You know I'm curious. It says you need a [SCN] Borg to play another copy of the doorway. Does that mean anyone who was a Borg, like Seven of Nine, in their lore or someone who has a [Bor] ?
" [SCN] Borg" doesn't have to be [Bor] affiliation. That's why Nanoprobe Resuscitation works with Jean-Luc.

However, since Transwarp Network Gateway is itself a [BO] card, you can't use it with non- [Bor] Borg because you can't actually put it in your deck. :wink:

By Kander77 (Lee Sneathen)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:26 pm
Kander77 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:26 pm You know I'm curious. It says you need a [SCN] Borg to play another copy of the doorway. Does that mean anyone who was a Borg, like Seven of Nine, in their lore or someone who has a [Bor] ?
" [SCN] Borg" doesn't have to be [Bor] affiliation. That's why Nanoprobe Resuscitation works with Jean-Luc.

However, since Transwarp Network Gateway is itself a [BO] card, you can't use it with non- [Bor] Borg because you can't actually put it in your deck. :wink:
lmao I didn't even see that icon. I think you knew where I was going with this too...

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Kander77 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:56 pm
Armus wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:26 pm

lmao I didn't even see that icon. I think you knew where I was going with this too...
You can travel through a [BO] Borg opponent's gateways using a Temporal Conduit though.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]