This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
So it was recently discussed that if you were to use Pawns of the Military to download The Vengeance Factor, to download Microvirus it would kill one personnel unless "2 Security, 2 Medical and 4 Science." (See Post #523441 by stressedoutatumc.) This makes some sense to me from elementary school math - each dilemma works like a set of brackets on a math problem:
2(2SCIENCE+(MEDICAL+SECURITY)).

On the other hand, All Consuming Evil works differently from the The Vengeance Factor because it only doubles the *EFFECTS* of the dilemma. This works great for the classic, Armus - Skin of Evil -- the damned thing literally *only has effects*, not conditions, so it's obvious that you kill two personnel instead of one. On the other hand, All Consuming Evil it is practically worthless when it comes to Armus: Energy Field because it doesn't mean that you need to have twice the skills and abilities you would need to overcome the mission to get past. Rather, the only "effect", is stopping a personnel initially, so you would instead stop 2.

What I'm not clear on how the phrase in Pawns of the Military would affect a card like Nanobiogenic Fugitives. Pawns says that it adds "2 Science to requirements" presumably, this would mean both the requirements to stop personnel AND requirements to get past. Thus, the card would presumably read:

"Choose two personnel with ENGINEER and 2 SCIENCE (or one personnel with 2 SCIENCE and Physics) to be stopped. To get past requires 2 SCIENCE, 2 Computer Skill and Physics remaining."

This requirement is clearly broken beyond belief. There are only 3 personnel in the entire game who you could stop to meet the first requirement - David Marcus (From Life From Lifelessness), Carol Marcus and Sullin, although a few with double SCIENCE could meet it if you had an Engineering PADD.

Thus, the only way past this dilemma would be to wait for the turn count on Pawns to expire.

Unfortunately, I don't see any other reading of this situation - it's no different from how Shades of Gray: Anguish doubles both the MEDICAL and 2 ENGINEER requirements on Menthar Booby Trap.

A related question is whether the doubling effect of All Consuming Evil doubles the stopping effect as well as the killing effect in Armus: Roulette. I mean, obviously two of the four randomly selected people would die if the requirements were not met. However, since it is impossible to double the number of people stopped (recall it is the "other selected personnel" who are stopped, not a specific number) shouldn't they be stopped for two turns in order to "double the effect."

I feel like we all figured out that adding requirements to dilemmas was a mistake when the CC had to errata Access Denied... Maybe this ends the same way.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
WeAreBack wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:16 pm What I'm not clear on how the phrase in Pawns of the Military would affect a card like Nanobiogenic Fugitives. Pawns says that it adds "2 Science to requirements" presumably, this would mean both the requirements to stop personnel AND requirements to get past. Thus, the card would presumably read:
Choosing people to be stopped is not a requirement, it's an effect. Sure, it's an effect that happens first, before the requirement, but it's still an effect. If you have no ENGINEER or Physics, you just move on to the next sentence; the first sentence fizzles.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
WeAreBack wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:16 pm A related question is whether the doubling effect of All Consuming Evil doubles the stopping effect as well as the killing effect in Armus: Roulette. I mean, obviously two of the four randomly selected people would die if the requirements were not met. However, since it is impossible to double the number of people stopped (recall it is the "other selected personnel" who are stopped, not a specific number) shouldn't they be stopped for two turns in order to "double the effect."
According to the glossary, doubling affects the numbers. If Roulette said "stops other personnel for one full turn", then it would be doubled to "two full turns".
Last edited by JeBuS on Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:26 pm
WeAreBack wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:16 pm What I'm not clear on how the phrase in Pawns of the Military would affect a card like Nanobiogenic Fugitives. Pawns says that it adds "2 Science to requirements" presumably, this would mean both the requirements to stop personnel AND requirements to get past. Thus, the card would presumably read:
Choosing people to be stopped is not a requirement, it's an effect. Sure, it's an effect that happens first, before the requirement, but it's still an effect. If you have no ENGINEER or Physics, you just move on to the next sentence; the first sentence fizzles.
:thumbsup:

That said, Pawns + Nanobiogenic = underrated combo.
There are a few dilemmas where selecting a personnel (to be stopped, etc.) IS part of the requirements: notably Hippocratic Oath and Ferengi Ingenuity. So with DNA Clues, Hippocratic Oath requires either 0 MEDICAL or 3 MEDICAL to be affected. But dilemmas like Hippocratic Oath are worded differently than the more common case where the selection is part of the effect, not the requirements.

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]