This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which broken link should we close?

Alrik
2%
Admiral Krell
2%
Ambassador Gral
7%
Broik
4%
Captain Silva La Forge
8%
Gagh
13%
Group of Individuals
13%
Helena Rozhenko
3%
Jeyal
2%
a Northwest Passage Region mission
8%
Nyran
5%
a Palor Toff card
9%
Perrin
4%
a new Relay or Scanner equipment
10%
a new Sickbay card
10%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Good morning First Edition fans! It's time to put your designer hats on (and eventually, your developer hats, your creative hats, and your art hats) and make a card. Will of the Collective is a community-driven card design process by which you guys, the community, makes a card from start to finish. Once that finished card goes through testing, it gets released and you guys get the credit. So far, we've worked together to make Harcourt Fenton Mudd, Joran, Yarnek, and Examine Morality. This time, we're going to close a broken link!

In this poll, you are given fifteen (15) broken links to chose from. We're doing a new type of voting this year called approval voting. In this model, you can vote for all of the options of which you approve. Your number of votes can be zero (0) and it can be fifteen (15), though it will likely be in the middle. The option with the most votes of approval moves forward; in the event of a tie, there will be a traditional vote run-off to break the tie.

Here are your fifteen (15) choices. If your favorite isn't on here, you can check out this article for reasons why it might have been excluded.
Voting will be open until 6 AM Pacific on Friday, October 30th. Remember, vote for every option you approve of and would like to work on - the one with the most votes wins!

-crp
 -  
Prophet
And don't forget to post! I'd love to hear why you voted the way you do, and hear arguments for (or against) the cards you're passionate about. A good discussion almost always leads to a better final result!

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Quick thoughts:

As much as I'd like to see the Nyran get made, I'm clearly in a distinct minority.

Understandable, as that card would be much more interesting if IDIC: Power of the High Command wasn't nerfed into oblivion...

#makepowervulcansplayableagain

As it is, Group of Individuals or Gagh would be choices I could live with. Not really feeling Palor Toff for some reason.

Also, why no Sergey? You worried he and Helena would split the pro-Rozhenko vote or something? :wink:
 -  
Prophet
Armus wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:35 amAlso, why no Sergey? You worried he and Helena would split the pro-Rozhenko vote or something? :wink:
We went with Helena over Sergey because she appeared in two episodes to his one. It's not a lot, but having more options is better for a process driven by community vote/choice.

But fear not... I suspect any designer handed a community-designed Helena will immediately make Sergey to go with.

-crp

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Sickbay was one of my votes.

Because what the game needs is a Sickbay: McCoys Booze Cupboard that downloads Brandy in place of a card draw.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
I voted for romantic partners, 6th rule targets, commander/ship pairs and cards which are fully and specifically called out by other cards. Those cards include:

Alrik
Ambassador Gral
Broik
Captain Silva La Forge
Gagh
Group of Individuals
Jeyal
Nyran
Perrin

I consider several of the options only pseudo-broken links. These cards imply the existence of multiple options where only one exists, but do not specifically state that multiple options exist. I did not vote in favor of these options.

a Northwest Passage Region mission
a Palor Toff card
a new Relay or Scanner equipment
a new Sickbay card

Two of the cards I agree are true broken links, but do not bring any inherent value in closing the link.

Admiral Krell - While Krell names him, the "descendant of" status has no gameplay value.
Helena Rozhenko - Without Sergey Rozhenko, she'd have no valid romantic partner. I will change this vote if we can confirm Sergey exists in a design file.

Edit: Based on Charlie's comment (which was posted while I was writing this post), I am changing my vote on Helena to approve.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
GooeyChewie wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:03 am Admiral Krell - While Krell names him, the "descendant of" status has no gameplay value.
Temporal Benefactor begs to differ

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
KazonPADD wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:10 am
GooeyChewie wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:03 am Admiral Krell - While Krell names him, the "descendant of" status has no gameplay value.
Temporal Benefactor begs to differ
Fair point, vote changed. I forgot that card existed.
 -  
Prophet
sexecutioner wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:54 am Because what the game needs is a Sickbay: McCoys Booze Cupboard that downloads Brandy in place of a card draw.
It would be the height of comedy to close a broken link with a card that itself creates a new broken link.

-crp

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
I chose a few, but my top pick is Captain Silva La Forge.

Geordi has always been one of my favourite characters, so there's the La Forge link. But also because it's about time one of Madge Sinclair's roles got a card. Not only did she play Geordi's mum in TNG (the 4th time she'd played LeVar Burton's mother on screen,) but before that she played the captain of the U.S.S. Saratoga in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, the first female Starfleet starship captain portrayed on Star Trek.

So in my book she's long overdue for a card.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Of the 2, I'd rather have the Saratoga captain, TBH...

Hopefully the Project Rogue guys are paying attention... :cross:

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
So, on my list, I have different tiers of broken links.

Tier 1: Cards specifically named by another card in gametext
On this list, that includes Ambassador Gral, Gagh, and the Group of Individuals

Tier 2: A gameplay reference that mentions a group of cards that has a single member
For the list, that's the NW Passage, Palor Toff, Relay/Scanner, or Sickbay.

Tier 3: Lore references that have gameplay relevance
That's Alrik, Broik, Cap'n La Forge, Helena, Jeyal, Nyran, and Perrin

Tier 4: Personnel naming another in lore
That's just Admiral Krell. (I don't really consider Temporal Benefactor or Dramatis Personae as very important in terms of broken links.)

I'm going to vote for all the Tier 1, and the Nyran for I do like Team Tan. I couldn't care less about Admiral Krell, a 'link' that's so hot off the presses he's not usable in gameplay quite yet. I could be talked into any of the others, but not that one.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm Tier 1 all the way with the exception of Captain La Forge - I've been wanting a card for her for a long time.

Make It So does NOT unstop the crew aboard a shi[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I won't be available Saturday the 27th. Have other[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]