This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which card concept should we use for Gagh?

A consumable asset that gives a generic bonus to anyone, but a better bonus to Klingons or [Kli] personnel.
8%
A card that stops x personnel to for a bonus (better for [Kli] ) or makes a [NA] personnel become [Kli].
2%
Gagh could be an "ingredient" that a chef/cook could use to make something else.
5%
A card that one shot, as an action interacts with either a [1E-DS9] personnel at a promenade location or a [Kli] personnel at any location to (get a cookie). Draw cards equal to the number of cooks present.
7%
A non-era/non-property logo tied equipment card that can be discarded for a benefit. Benefit should be tied to Klingons (or Riker) and possibly cooks.
12%
A bonus to Klingons (race) and penalty (strength, diplomacy?) to all other non-cooks. Effect could be situational, like in personal battle or when facing dilemma at location. Bonus/penalty amount could be based on time left on countdown because of freshness requirement.
4%
I could see Gagh giving a strength or some other bonus (as they look forward to the meal) while present, and at some point you can discard it (they eat it) for a bonus (card draw, or unstopping a Klingon). I would add a countdown timer of 2 or 3, to represent that Gagh should be eaten fresh.
6%
A card that works as a personal treaty. A specific personnel targeted by the card may mix and cooperate with other affiliations. Card design should include an effort to encourage card use over just including another treaty card (e.g. reduce play cost by changing card type, add immunities, not restrict it to specific target affiliations.
4%
A card to allow certain cards to nullify other certain cards (like last function of Terran Flagship: Predator)
1%
A card that allows play or download of a Klingon to the location of a cook and makes the Klingon compatible with the cook's affiliations.
8%
A card that provides rapid, situational access to a range of situational Klingon-themed cards, reinforcing the affiliation's flavor.
12%
A card that either prepares Klingons for battles or awards them for completing missions.
7%
A card that provides a challenge to non-Klingons present with your Klingons.
6%
A card that provides a temporary boost to Klingons, getting slightly better if played in conjunction with a cook.
7%
A permanent card which probes for various bonuses and penalties.
12%
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
geraldkw wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:38 amI think given that most people never get to design cards, that they want to create a very playable/cool card, not more binder fodder like Raktajino.
Binder fodder is in the eye of the beholder - as someone who played a fair bit of "sealed" using the DS9 Block starters, Raktajino was an MVP there.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:48 am
geraldkw wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:38 amI think given that most people never get to design cards, that they want to create a very playable/cool card, not more binder fodder like Raktajino.
Binder fodder is in the eye of the beholder - as someone who played a fair bit of "sealed" using the DS9 Block starters, Raktajino was an MVP there.
I think in Limited it's "any port in a storm", whereas you don't choose Raktajino when you can run lower decks and better recursion.

Raktajino was built with a very tight box around it. It only does very specific things at a slightly less than fair cost and in this game I think that's the kiss of death.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
geraldkw wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:07 am I think in Limited it's "any port in a storm", whereas you don't choose Raktajino when you can run lower decks and better recursion.

Raktajino was built with a very tight box around it. It only does very specific things at a slightly less than fair cost and in this game I think that's the kiss of death.
That's only because most players are playing Complete, where you get the Absolute Strongest Version of every ability that exists. We can't build new cards competing against that standard, because eventually everything will suspend play to download and seed from outside the game and score 100 mission points so that it's better than the existing card that "only" seeds from outside the game. ;)

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:36 am
geraldkw wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:07 am I think in Limited it's "any port in a storm", whereas you don't choose Raktajino when you can run lower decks and better recursion.

That's only because most players are playing Complete, where you get the Absolute Strongest Version of every ability that exists. We can't build new cards competing against that standard, because eventually everything will suspend play to download and seed from outside the game and score 100 mission points so that it's better than the existing card that "only" seeds from outside the game. ;)
Yeah, the evil power creep. I guess what bothered me about Raktajino is that I want to put it in a deck because it's thematically ubiquitous on DS9 episodes but boring and underpowered in constructed.

If we ever do a "DS9 Only" format that gets regular play maybe it will be somewhat more useful. I suspect format fatigue has already kicked in even adding the single new TNG Only format though, because we have had only one tournament since it premiered in July, so getting enthusiasm for some new age DS9 block format will probably be even harder.

Trying to bring this back on topic, I think "Visit Gagh Memorial" is potentially a card decks want even if we don't know what we are getting from those probes, because Klingons currently don't have any probing tech(since Promenade Shops just results in them fighting bystanders, which they are probably already doing without probing)

By Borg King
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
10and01 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:16 am
Borg King wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:37 pm This card could be available and useful for every affiliation but be better for a specific faction or affiliation. For example, one probe could give you an okay bonus; like if you probed an [1E-Evt] or a [1E-Int] , but if you probe [Kli] you get a better bonus, and if you probed [DS9] [Kli] it's an even better bonus than that!
I also like the idea of the download of situational Klingon-themed card access. It'd be cool if one of the probe outcomes was something like "Download to hand an [1E-Int] or [1E-Evt] with "Klingon" in lore" or something like that.

Fair point mentioned earlier regarding the inclusion of [DS9] and similar "ghost" icons on a probe card; those were just examples to show how to make a probe card that is accessible and beneficial to every affiliation, but really geared toward a specific or narrow group (or groups) for even better benefits. The details on that would develop as this process goes on!

I do really like the idea of getting normally hard to retrieve Klingon themed [1E-Evt] and [1E-Int] cards through this one, and I'm a real big fan of this idea of combining this with the probe idea! Can we amalgamate these two? Is that an option?

I see this probe idea as something fun and easy like Dabo or Promenade Shops; nothing too complicated or game breaking, but useful and flavorful!

:borg:
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
geraldkw wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:47 am If we ever do a "DS9 Only" format that gets regular play maybe it will be somewhat more useful. I suspect format fatigue has already kicked in even adding the single new TNG Only format though, because we have had only one tournament since it premiered in July, so getting enthusiasm for some new age DS9 block format will probably be even harder.
This has more to do with a global pandemic and the dumpster fire that has been 2020 than anything else. We very much intent to continue working on TNG Only.

-crp

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:00 pm
geraldkw wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:47 am If we ever do a "DS9 Only" format that gets regular play maybe it will be somewhat more useful. I suspect format fatigue has already kicked in even adding the single new TNG Only format though, because we have had only one tournament since it premiered in July, so getting enthusiasm for some new age DS9 block format will probably be even harder.
This has more to do with a global pandemic and the dumpster fire that has been 2020 than anything else. We very much intent to continue working on TNG Only.

-crp
I know. This year has negatively impacted more parts of our lives than anything most of us have experienced and I don't want you or anyone else in the CC to feel like I am mentioning this a lot because I am trying to criticize. I'm just enthusiastic about it and think about it a lot in relation to the game in general.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
A card that provides rapid, situational access to a range of situational Klingon-themed cards, reinforcing the affiliation's flavor.
I really like this idea, and it's currently one vote behind Visit Gagh Memorial.

I think there's a lot of ways this could go that could be both better and more flavorful (*rimshot*).

Imagine having easy access to Honor Challenge or Klingon Right of Vengeance against a Battle Borg or Dominion Hack-and-Slash deck.

Or maybe start a Klingon Civil War against your fellow Klingon opponent?

Or even decide that Q's nonsense is too much with I am NOT a Merry Man?

The key to these cards is having them when you need them. I'm not sure a probe result dependency is the best execution of the idea.

And do we really need more ways to draw cards? Really?

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:27 pm And do we really need more ways to draw cards? Really?
Agree that generic card draws shouldn't come from Gagh, probing or not. I would aim for the probing effects to do something "Klingonish" that they can't already do, like gain the ability to attempt missions with "Honor" in the requirements, get those Klingon Interrupts, etc.
 -  
Prophet
The winner, by a single vote, is:
A permanent card which probes for various bonuses and penalties.
The next step will be voting on the card type we'd like to use. Details on that will be coming very soon. In the mean time, thank you all for voting and participating in this process.

-crp
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Can I cast a late vote due to extenuating circumstances? I would have voted for
But I had to leave the poll options unvoted for so that I could debug what was happening with the styling in the poll options.
 -  
Prophet
JeBuS wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:51 pm Can I cast a late vote due to extenuating circumstances? I would have voted for
But I had to leave the poll options unvoted for so that I could debug what was happening with the styling in the poll options.
I suppose, in this circumstance, I can allow this. That means we're headed to a run-off - stand by.

-crp
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0