This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which card concept should we use for Gagh?

A card that provides rapid, situational access to a range of situational Klingon-themed cards, reinforcing the affiliation's flavor.
55%
A permanent card which probes for various bonuses and penalties.
45%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Good afternoon ladies, gentlemen, and non-binary friends. The Will of the Collective continues to march onward, but today we are facing our first run-off vote, as we had a tie between two card concepts. If you aren't familiar with Will of the Collective, it's a community-driven card design process by which you guys, the community, makes a card from start to finish. Today, we're going to break this tie with a run-off vote between the two options. They are:
A card that provides rapid, situational access to a range of situational Klingon-themed cards, reinforcing the affiliation's flavor.
A permanent card which probes for various bonuses and penalties
The second card actually won the poll, but due to his work on technical problems with the polls, JeBuS did not cast his vote. I'm taking him at his word on this and giving a one time exception, and as he would have voted for the first option, they're now tied with twenty-one (21) approval votes each. To break this tie, we'll do a standard run-off vote: you can vote for one of the two options. The option with the most votes will be the winner. In the unlikely event of a tie, my vote will break the tie.

However, as a bonus to all of you, the second choice - i.e. the one that doesn't win - will get fast tracked into design. It won't be Gagh, obviously, but the other card will find a home in a design file ASAP.

Voting for this run off poll will be open until it closes, around 12:00 PM Pacific on Friday, November 13th. Your voices and votes will determine which card we make - so read them over, read through the arguments, and cast your votes!

-crp
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
edgeofhearing wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:19 pm Por que no los dos?
The winning card will continue forward with WotC and be made into Gagh. The other card will be fast-tracked as a card, but it will be made by the design teams and it won't be Gagh.

Hopefully that's a good compromise for everyone!

-crp

By karnstein
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:00 pm
Even though I’d love a card that does this, I’m not sure this fits with the meaning of gagh.

To me, fresh, living gagh is something that makes Klingons (and maybe Riker) happy but makes just about everyone else unhappy.

I get that a probing card may be complicated (and tough to get right), but I think it has the potential to capture what gagh means in Star Trek.

I’m open to being convinced otherwise.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:40 pm
edgeofhearing wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:19 pm Por que no los dos?
Do you really want Visit Gagh Memorial to be a thing?
The idea of making a Gagh card is inherently silly to me. To have it be an incident on table that has flavor options like "squirmy" speaks to that silliness in a way that appeals to me.

But what I mean by "why not both" is that maybe, if you get a certain probe result, you download a Klingon-related interrupt to hand. It's not quite the "rapid" access of the other option, but allows access to situational Klingon-related cards in a fun way.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I'm still not totally sold on this idea, but it's clearly winning right now, so I'm going to try to roll with it.

Maybe if we make it more in the vein of Dabo or Tongo and less in the vein of Visit Cochrane Memorial or Imperial Intimidation then it might be more plausible.

My other issue with probing is that it generally happens at the end of a turn, where "cooking gagh" or "eating gagh" feels more like an order to me. Maybe we can gametext our way into the order phase somehow?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Armus wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:57 pm I'm still not totally sold on this idea, but it's clearly winning right now, so I'm going to try to roll with it.

Maybe if we make it more in the vein of Dabo or Tongo and less in the vein of Visit Cochrane Memorial or Imperial Intimidation then it might be more plausible.

My other issue with probing is that it generally happens at the end of a turn, where "cooking gagh" or "eating gagh" feels more like an order to me. Maybe we can gametext our way into the order phase somehow?
I would also like to see this probe happen in the orders phase. Mainly b/c [1E-DS9] got the short shrift in their block and b/c flavorwise it just "feels" better they would grab a snack during the turn, then be off to do whatever.

Side note: i would have preferred all site related probing to be during the turn but alas, they didnt design promenade shops with The Celestial Temple in mind.

By 10and01
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:57 pm "cooking gagh" or "eating gagh" feels more like an order to me. Maybe we can gametext our way into the order phase somehow?
Very much agree. I was thinking of Tongo and Dabo rather than Visit Cochrane Memorial when I suggested this because probe cards are always fun, except for Borg where they're either rigged of nerve-wracking :). Regarding probing outside the end of turn, Sniper already allows for probing during the order phase. Perhaps something like "... Stop your cook present to probe: ...". I like the idea of having some persistent gameplay function for cooks.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Why would a cook be required to serve live Gagh? A waiter maybe, to bring it to you, but a cook can’t even neatly present your meal before it rearranges itself.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Forgot to vote in the previous poll. Would have thought it would be fair to include the other option at 20 votes as well.

Don't particularly see either of these options as gagh-worthy, but I guess there's still some room in further development. Need to think which of the two to vote for.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Why was this set up as a changeable vote option?

I can see that for the intitial idea as people are allowed to vote for mutliple and then pursuade each other.

But this is a run off. Pick your side, lock it in and you shouldnt get to change it..

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
You would say that! This opinion is based solely on your sig.

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]

solved, thanks :thumbsup: