This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Praetor
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Hello all,

Back in the day I was primarily a SWCCG player but dabbled in Trek. Finding a couple of cheap WB Premier booster boxes has rekindled an interest. The main question I have is does there exist a deck template that I can use to build decks. From my research on this site I have cobbled together the following but wasn’t sure if these are generally agreed upon:

Seed Deck
18 Dilemmas minimum
12 Other seeds maximum

Draw Deck
30-40 cards
1 ship per 10
4x Officer, Medical, Security, Science, Engineer
2x each skill needed
15-20% Draw Engine
1-2 Random events/interrupts that can’t be seeded

Which begs more questions:

What are the draw/play engines that exist in premiere?

If I have 6 missions that require the same skill do I then need 12x that skill according to the above template?

Also, Do the premiere cards on the banned list create a NPE with just premier cards?

Thanks for your help.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
This deserves a longer reply, but playing Premiere only would lead me to a very different template than the "modern" one (which arose more around the time of Blaze of Glory).

With no seedable draw/play engines, a lot of Premiere was about drawing into or acquiring engines before your opponent -- some of which are banned now! Thinking here of Red Alert and Horga'hn.

By karnstein
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Praetor wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:02 pm Seed Deck
18 Dilemmas minimum
12 Other seeds maximum
With a Premier only card pool, you’ll have fewer non-dilemma seeds—just an outpost or two and maybe a couple of artifacts—which means 26 or so dilemmas.
Draw Deck
30-40 cards
1 ship per 10
4x Officer, Medical, Security, Science, Engineer
1 Officer per 10 draw deck cards is probably sufficient. You’ll just want 1 Officer on your ship to help with Microbiotic Colony.
2x each skill needed
15-20% Draw Engine
1-2 Random events/interrupts that can’t be seeded
I’d aim for at least 3 of each skill needed to meet mission requirements.
Which begs more questions:

What are the draw/play engines that exist in premiere?
The draw engines are The Traveler: Transcendence and Kivas Fajo - Collector. Red Alert is the play engine. Horga’hn is both a play and draw engine.
If I have 6 missions that require the same skill do I then need 12x that skill according to the above template?
If multiple missions require the same skill, I’d probably add one more copy of the skill for each mission after the first.
Also, Do the premiere cards on the banned list create a NPE with just premier cards?
In general, I’m not sure that the banned cards create a NPE in a Premier-only environment. However, it can be pretty demoralizing to play against a Horga’hn when you don’t have one. Also, when Time Travel Pod is a possibility, you need to have your crew spread across multiple ships, and even then it can still ruin your game. And you want to have Kevin Uxbridge on hand to deal with possibilities like Anti-Time Anomaly or Tox Uthat.

By Praetor
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Thanks all.

Some follow-ups then:

If I only need 3 officers, could I just have 3 each of the other classifications as well in a 30-card deck?

If I have a mission that requires “Honor x3” and another mission that requires Honor I should then have 10 personnel with honor? Triple redundancy and one extra.

Could I get away with using Palar Toff and Red Alert as long as each deck has one and not be too unbalanced? Will build one of each faction.

Thanks again.

By karnstein
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Praetor wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:19 pm Thanks all.

Some follow-ups then:

If I only need 3 officers, could I just have 3 each of the other classifications as well in a 30-card deck?
I’d stick with at least 4 each Engineer, Medical, Science, and Security.
If I have a mission that requires “Honor x3” and another mission that requires Honor I should then have 10 personnel with honor? Triple redundancy and one extra.
For missions that require multiple levels of a skill, I’d add 1 for each level after the first. So for Honor x3, I’d stock at least 3 + 2 = 5.
Could I get away with using Palar Toff and Red Alert as long as each deck has one and not be too unbalanced? Will build one of each faction.
I think that would work.
Thanks again.
You’re welcome. Have fun!

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Also, after you try it a couple times, please report back here on how well the template did or did not work!

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
iirc premiere only was about who draws into red alert first and the game was almost unplayable without it. (draw-report-go for 20+ turns)

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Ensign Q wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:23 am iirc premiere only was about who draws into red alert first and the game was almost unplayable without it. (draw-report-go for 20+ turns)
Yep, that's the legacy of Premier. That's why Enhanced Premier was so radical...

What? 2 Personnel in 1 card? An outpost built into the mission? 2 dilemmas for 1 seed slot???? Mind Blown!!!!

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
In some old deck building notes I have this labelled as a Premier Skill Matrix for getting by premier dilemma combo walls:

[1E-P]
Youth/Music/Str>9
SEC x3
ENG x2
SCI x2
STR > 44
Honor/Cun>7
Computer Skill

[1E-S]
MED x3
SCI
Nav x2

[Dual]
MED
SCI
SEC
Diplo x2

This would have been for the old Return to Talos online tournaments, so used errata'd cards at the time. I think Q would have been still banned or errata'd.

By Praetor
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:23 am iirc premiere only was about who draws into red alert first and the game was almost unplayable without it. (draw-report-go for 20+ turns)
How many Red Alerts would you suggest? 2-3?

By Praetor
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Tim wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:40 pm In some old deck building notes I have this labelled as a Premier Skill Matrix for getting by premier dilemma combo walls:

[1E-P]
Youth/Music/Str>9
SEC x3
ENG x2
SCI x2
STR > 44
Honor/Cun>7
Computer Skill

[1E-S]
MED x3
SCI
Nav x2

[Dual]
MED
SCI
SEC
Diplo x2

This would have been for the old Return to Talos online tournaments, so used errata'd cards at the time. I think Q would have been still banned or errata'd.
Thanks, this is most helpful.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Praetor wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:54 pm
How many Red Alerts would you suggest? 2-3?
probably decksize /7
and the same amount of traveler: transcendence

Good mornin' lads, just got me thinking: What w[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]