This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi!
This was confusing for me, too. Rehashing the whole thing helps me jog my memory -- perhaps you already understand most of what I'll write.
I'll start with part of your questions, and see how far I get.
EnsignMike wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:18 am Barry Waddle
Deep Space Station K-7
2267 Sherman's Peak
Thanks for using the card1 tags. I always check the cards when answering (I have to read them), so questions without them sometimes fall by the wayside for me. :thumbsup:
I did have to repair one card title first -- no problem. Pro tips: your apostrophe in that one was "formatted"(?); it had been given "direction". The search engine only recognizes "straight" apostrophes. And: the engine recognizes partial matches, so that can help you to find cards here quickly (e.g., Sherm).

Nothing, ever, can report to the Station, by itself. (Check the Glossary entry for Stations and/or Facilities.)
K-7 says "... reporting at this location", however; which means anywhere "in a vertical column above and under the mission OR time location card" (my memory aid). So IF something suitable (as defined by K-7) could report anywhere "near" the station, it may report for free. Which by itself, does NOTHING yet. 8)

But indeed, now look at the Glossary entry for Time Location. (Go read it as a whole, to be sure you don't miss anything. :thumbsup: ) Built-in rules for that card type include reporting.

So, because K-7 is "in orbit over" the Peak, you can report, for free, specific cards at the Peak (not, ever, at the station).
So, I guess the general question is can you report non-natives to time locations?
Nothing so far has told us we can -- only natives. So, no; not by itself.
Even with
something like
Temporal Micro Wormhole?
No. Aside from the ship thing, TMWH does not give a location for the reporting/download which it allows; this means, per Reporting/DL rules, that the ( [1E-AU] ) personnel can only report where reporting (say, of non- [1E-AU] cards) was already allowed.
And since the mentioned cards -- Peak and Station -- are not ships, TMWH can't help you there, either. But you could report a ship there, which then is stuck until you Wormhole or Temp Vortex it, or some such... :shifty:

That leaves your second post... And the question whether there are things like TMWH which can help you report there. (I'll leave the latter for others to answer.)
Last edited by SudenKapala on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
EnsignMike wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:27 am Follow up question. Can k7 and an outpost exist at Sherman’s planet together since they are at different “times”?
They are perhaps from different times. But if they would both be at the Peak, they are conceptually at the same time. 8)

I don't think you could seed just any outpost there (but, e.g., K-7 is excepted of course, because it is mentioned in card text) -- missions/outposts have built-in rules (see Glossy) which lets outposts seed at missions, whereas Time Locations do not mention outposts to be seeded in general.
Also, seeding 2 facilities at the same loc is not allowed. (Does that go for time locs...?)
However, the old Glossy that I use does mention 'reporting facilities (and ships) in space'. So, you could perhaps build them...? If that's what you wanted.
Can anybody corroborate or correct my thoughts on this part of Mike's questions?

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Adding a little...

A Time Location is a location that noun cards can exist at (personnel and equipment can be on it, and ships can be in orbit or landed) but otherwise is not like a mission. Ships and personnel can only travel to it using specific time travel cards --- there are several of them now. Most time travel cards involve the corresponding space line location mission, which must be seeded when you use a Time Location.

You cannot play cards on Time Locations except for the cards specifically mentioned as "Native to the timeline." Nothing else is needed for native cards to report there. (Native [1E-AU] cards don't even need Alternate Universe Door which makes sense thematically.) You can't play or seed anything else directly to a Time Location. You can't seed a normal Outpost on a Time Location (they need missions with matching affil, etc.).

Deep Space Station K-7 is a unique card that breaks these rules: it specifically plays to the Time Location Sherman's Peak. It's also downloaded by it, so it's really kind of an extension of the card adding built-in functionality. It adds the free playing mechanic: Once per turn, one [OS] card reporting at this location may report for free.

This actually works for [OS] cards that are not native to Sherman's Peak because they don't have [1E-AU] (like Lt. Dax) but only if you can find another why for them to report to the Time Location. There are many ways to report cards to ships or special people in the game, and they work anywhere (any "here") including Time Locations. For example, Crew Reassignment would work here for an [OS] ship. Remember, you are reporting to the ship at the Time Location but not reporting to the Time Location itself.

(Interestingly, Bajoran Resistance Cell used to work to report to Time Locations because they were "any planet," but that wording was removed in errata.)

Temporal Micro Wormhole also works to report anybody to a ship at a time location, including Barry Waddle. It is also effectively "free" because the "Once each turn..." action is done during your order phase after your play a card phase.

Getting Barry Waddle to K-7 is a key part of the old Hero of the Empire deck type. I have't played the deck type in decades (it uses Tribbles! Annoying.) ... I don't remember any tricks, I don't think he has a good download method other than just tenting.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:38 am Cargo Bay... but then you have to get cute with it.
@All: There was a space preceding that card title (FTFY, can use the one in above quote :thumbsup: ).

@Armus: Can you spell that out? Or (better: ) at least give some hints / cards? AFAIK, there's no way Cargo Bay can be installed on K-7, is there?
Or, wait... you mean, DL him to a Nor, and then transporting him by any means necessary (Space-time portal, Wormhole, Guardian Of, to the Time Loc?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:35 pm
Armus wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:38 am Cargo Bay... but then you have to get cute with it.
@All: There was a space preceding that card title (FTFY, can use the one in above quote :thumbsup: ).

@Armus: Can you spell that out? Or (better: ) at least give some hints / cards? AFAIK, there's no way Cargo Bay can be installed on K-7, is there?
Or, wait... you mean, DL him to a Nor, and then transporting him by any means necessary (Space-time portal, Wormhole, Guardian Of, to the Time Loc?
Cargo Bay can download Barry Waddle straight up.

The problem is that Klingons don't have natural access to a Cargo Bay, thus the getting "cute":

[SD] Commandeer Empok Nor with Klingons
[SD] Run a Nor-friendly Affiliation ( [Baj] , [Car] , [Fer] ?) and X/ [Kli] missions to still get the bonus despite not actually playing Klingon.

I haven't built a Stop Kirk Contact deck in probably 20 years or close to it... maybe there's something there in the modern meta.... :shifty:

Now that I think about it, Processing Ore at a Bat'leth Tournament sounds like fun....

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Huh! Thanks for that. Myself, I just finished my first Empok deck (an upgrade of my regular [1E-Fer] ) and I've yet to try that out; and since I own only 1 extra-binder-cular copy of Empok, it's not going to be used in another deck soon. But I did want to understand the mechanic. (I reckon I was right in that it needs a "regular" time travel method to waddle Waddle over to the Nor?)

Last question -- with "to still get the bonus despite not actually playing Klingon" you mean that you can download certain cards w/ sites, even though-- Wait. Nope. Sorry. :? I somehow "feel" that there are Nor-friendly affiliations, but I don't see how Klingons cannot (or are hampered when they) commandeer/control Empok. I feel I'm forgetting something. But Empok can be compatible with any affiliation, right? :neutral: What am I missing here?
(I'm interested because I've yet to play -- and have planned to play for a long time) Empok, so I thought I'd read up on it, but I'll take any info I can get.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
By "Bonus" I mean the +10/-10 on the missions. You need to have [Kli] icon missions or it's really a whole lotta work for an ok-but-not-great benefit (or ZERO benefit if you catch an opponent playing in another quadrant).

Given the investment required, this really should be a 2-mission win thing.

And you're right, Klingons (or anyone) can "go nor" with Empok, but it does require a specific subset of missions (or at least one of that subset) in your deck, so it's not cost free.

Also, in this day and age, Ops downloads (or Cargo Bay downloads like Barry) become REAL Expensive in sacrificed draws without We Need You Here, which really limits Nor upside to non- [1E-DS9] factions.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks. With each post I do understand more, but I also feel there's some more I don't understand yet.
Like with the subset of missions... I get that you need to have Mining Survey, but not why this is only one of a subset that's required. Or, no, rather: why this is different for Nor-friendly affiliations. Why ARE they different? I can only think of matching/compatibility, but that's not really an issue, I think... Is it? :?

I do understand, and had already thought myself, the last paragraph. :thumbsup:

(Sorry for hijacking your thread, Mike. Feel free to return to topic! Ask away!)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
RIght, if your affiliation doesn't have access to a standard Nor you need Empok, which needs either Mining Survey or a universal mission. Either choice means you have a stealable mission. Armus mentioned Bat'leth Tournament earlier; in Klingon Empok decks I'm also fond of Impose Order, even in multiple. Yes, it's stealable, but I can steal the points right back unless you leave an Away Team behind -- but do you really want to tempt battle against a Klingon deck that just downloaded a bunch of hand weapons?

It also fits well with a Hero deck (circling back to the main topic) since it's high-point. Hero + Impose Order + AMS is over 50 points on its own.

Edit: wrote post too quickly, forgot about recent OTF rules change where ❖ missions are only stealable if seeded in multiple. Empok still restricts your mission selection somewhat but the drawback isn't as bad as before.
Last edited by Rachmaninoff on Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Why bother with empok? Use ds9 with klingon restaurant at bajoran wormhole. Or put your empok at klingon planet, a mission unlikely to be stolen by your non- [Kli] Opponent.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Rachmaninoff wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:09 am RIght, you need either Mining Survey or a universal mission, and either choice means you have a stealable mission. Armus mentioned Bat'leth Tournament earlier; in Klingon Empok decks I'm also fond of Impose Order, even in multiple. Yes, it's stealable, but I can steal the points right back unless you leave an Away Team behind -- but do you really want to tempt battle against a Klingon deck that just downloaded a bunch of hand weapons?
With the recent rules change on ❖ mission stealability, I see this as a more viable play than it was previously. Between that and a desire to build a Stop Kirk Contact deck, I'm relooking at a lot of this.
Last edited by Armus on Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]

solved, thanks :thumbsup: