This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:36 pm in all seriousness, if i want to clean my room, i cant put dirty laundry in the corner.
This is more like "I have the time to change this lightbulb, but not to rewire the house". ;)
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
^Allen is right.
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:36 pmim glad you are working on it though. also those changes are best, when nobody notices them. there should be an objective evaluation metric. like has the average amount of rules questions on the forums decreased?
It's a terrible metric for a number of reasons, you really can't put too much stock by it (clarity is the most important thing!), and if I admit to using it the ghost of Matt Zinno will leap out of a closet and stab me to death with his eyes, but...

I keep score by seeing how much the Glossary's word count has shrunk.

(It's 5.1% this year.)

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I never said the forums were a good metric, just a relatively more objective one than player feedbacks.
Word count seems better although a bit arbitrary as well. How about entries?
Do you think 5% is good yourself? I assume there are a lot of low hanging fruits?
Anyway its good zo know there is effort and progression made. Just remember not to fall into old habits.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Entries isn't a great metric because we've actually been adding short entries this year, in response to the (very reasonable) public demand for more cross-references.

Word count has similar issues, of course. For instance, we've made some entries longer this year, not because we added rules, but because we added examples and explanations to already-existing rules. That's good, even though it's the "wrong" direction for word count! But, overall, word count better shows the direction we're heading.

On the one hand, I honestly thought this year would be closer to a 10% reduction. We did have some low-hanging fruit, and we picked most of it, and I thought the payoff would be larger in terms of word count. So we were short of my entirely informal, somewhat arbitrary, somewhat useless goal. (I didn't even tell the R.C. about this, because I didn't want an arbitrary metric affecting their decisions in any way. (Also I didn't want Zinno's ghost stabbing me.))

On the other hand, by my calculations, the Glossary shrank 3% over the previous seven years combined, or about 0.4% per year. So this year's 5% reduction -- in just ten months, since I was hired a short way into the year -- is quite a bit faster than previous years.

All things considered... I hope the 1E Director and the 1E Community will judge the Rules Committee's work in 2020 more by the quality of the work than the quantity, but I'm still pleased with the direction we're heading. Certainly proud of the team, toiling away all year in anonymity for the good of the game.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
All questions, concerns and/compliments about the Department of First Edition in the last year may be directed to the appropriate thread in the Period of Review board.

If you would like to learn more about the Period of Review procedure, please read my article here.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
stressedoutatumc wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:21 pm Well, this thread went in a very different direction.
Yep, that happens... even here! :lol:

I think Maggie was telling En.Q how to show his appreciation for the Glossary improvement...? After the answers to OP got "lost" (or found) in the Glossy...? And now I also had these things jotted down to go further remain off topic (for another moment)...:
Ensign Q wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:27 am for me the biggest boon you gave us is a searchable glossary. that alone is enough for me to give you a positive rating
Here I fully agree! The cross-references and hyperlinks are great, too.

Also, an interesting and entertaining essay about the Glossy's maintenance and change, Wowbagger. I found the apparition's character well-rounded and innovative. His spectral appearances creeped me out! 8) (Abundance of adjectives inspired by Lovecraft.)

But, all that aside; StressedOut, did you get everything you need? Were all your questions answered in the mean time? Never too late to get back on track! :) Certainly not with 1e questions... :borg:
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Decklist updated to include dilemmas. Crippling […]

When 2E came out, I seem to recall that the idea[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

One last check before I enter the event for the 28[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

I thought this was the intended functionality, and[…]