This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 116 posts

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:49 am *Note for those not into sportball: I’m an alumna of the University of Illinois, whose basketball team was ranked #1 in the NCAA tournament this year. They were eliminated by the #8 seed Loyola University Chicago this past Sunday. Sadness.
That's still better than my Volunteers (though I'm not an alumna - my dad is). They were a #5 seed and lost in round 1 to a #12 seed.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I don't even want to talk about what happened to my Buckeyes... :evil:
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
And here are the results from the Sweet 16:

The Next Generation Bracket
Ssestar (1) managed to hold off a rally from Gamma Hromi II (12) to win, 61-45.
Soliton Wave (10) upset the last Gatherer, Chorgan (3), to advance with a score of 59-47.

Deep Space Nine Bracket
Holoprogram: Loyalty Test (12) showed Old Man Jake (1) his age, knocking him out with a 65-41 win.
The Dreamer and the Dream (10) took out the last visitor in Old Lady Jadzia (3), 62-44.

Voyager Bracket
Tragically but unsurprisingly, Rain Robinson (1) eliminated Freya (13) with a 65-41 victory.
Fast Rotating Planet (15) easily surpassed Holoprogram: Forest of Forever (14) to win, 66-40.

Enterprise Bracket
Carbon Creek (16) keeps the Cinderella story alive, upsetting Rajiin (5), 59-47.
T'Mir (2) dominates Terra Nova (11) to set up a Carbon Creek showdown, 67-39.

Analysis
Out of the twelve (12) "major" episodes, only three (3) remain: "Lonely Among Us" in TNG, "Inquisition" in DS9, and "Carbon Creek" in Enterprise. If you had asked me when we started which episodes would be left, I'm not sure I would have picked any of these three. "Lonely Among Us" is the one that surprises me most - clearly there's a hunger for reptile people in 1E!

All of the Voyager episodes were knocked out in the Round of 32, leaving just the four (4) single-entry episodes to face off. That's surprising to me, because I figured one of the Voth cards from "Distant Origins" was a lock for the Final 4.

Big Kudos to Iron Prime for his seeding - most of his #1 picks were on point, with three making it to the Sweet 16 and two to the Elite 8. Will they advance to the Final 4? Can anything stop Ssestar or Rain Robinson, except the other?

I'm here to console edgeofhearing, whom I suspect is sad to have lost both remaining cards from "The Vengeance Factor." The good news is they overperformed, at least in my opinion, which means a future Gatherer theme in a set just became more likely.

I am sad that we no longer can have a Holoprogram showdown in the Championship.

I am utterly devastated that Freya lost - though I remain unsurprised. Some day, my shield maiden, we'll get you into 1E...

What are the biggest surprises for you? What's your guess for the final matchup? Sound off!

Voting opens tomorrow when the article with the poll is posted.

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dude. You're in charge of this whole operation.

If you want a Viking Shieldmaiden, I'm pretty sure you can have one. Who's going to tell you "no"?

It's on you to find a politically appropriate place to work it in, but since you also set the development and release schedule.... *shrug*

As for what's left...

Rain is and has been the clear favorite in the Voyager bracket. In fact she probably beat her toughest competition up to this point in the Conference Tournament when she knocked out TuVac in the final ( :wink: ). As much as I'd like to see her (and TuVac, and others from that Ep), Spinny Planet is my favorite and I hope this fast-twirling Cinderella keeps on dancing!

The TNG bracket is a dumpster fire at this point (and really it was my least favorite all along). I'm glad to see Soliton Wave still in the running as it was one of the few cards that interested me.

I'm Glad to see the olds getting taken out in the DS9 bracket. Both Hologram: Loyalty Test and The Dreamer and the Dream have fascinating design possibilities at this point. This is the bracket where I'm the most undecided about who I'm voting into the final four.

As for the Enterprise bracket, I've been all-in on Carbon Creek for this thing, so I'm glad to see a T'Mir/CC final. This is another tough choice, and really I'm ok with either making the final 4. Aside from the purse getting tossed in round 1, this is the bracket whose results I've been the happiest with.

Bottom line:

TNG: Battle of the bad. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

DS9: Battle of the Intriguing. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Voyager: Battle of the best favorite vs. Cinderella. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Enterprise: Battle of Carbon Creek. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:39 am Soliton Wave (10) upset the last Gatherer, Chorgan (3), to advance with a score of 59-47.
I really didn't need that today.
MidnightLich wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:39 amI'm here to console edgeofhearing, whom I suspect is sad to have lost both remaining cards from "The Vengeance Factor." The good news is they overperformed, at least in my opinion, which means a future Gatherer theme in a set just became more likely.
That helps though, thanks.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Updated bracket, which I forgot last week.

Also forgot last week: good work to everyone in the Voyager Region! We all came together, put our minds to it, and voted "Non Sequitur" out in the Round of 32!

DS9 is clearly the 1960s Mideast Regional: an absolute powerhouse.

The two strongest cards left are facing off for the DS9 Regional Championship this round, and I'm 75% certain that our champion is going to be one of them.

I'm still voting for The Dreamer and the Dream, I think, because I'm really excited to see what 1E can do with that incredible story (again, completely leaving aside whatever the heck the 2E version does, I still have no idea), and because I think it works as a one-off. "Inquisition" I'm less sure about -- but respect if the Holopgoram: Loyalty Test pulls it out anyway.

Meanwhile, in the other regionals...

I think we can all agree it's time to end "Lonely Among Us"'s presence in the tournament, lest Charlie get ideas about what we want to see. Soliton Waves are cool.

In Voyager, it's one of the most high-concept stories ever, which Voyager executed really well vs. Young Sarah Silverman. Blink Planet should have it in the bag, this shouldn't be close, but I fear that it will be.

In Enterprise, it's Carbon Creek vs. Carbon Creek, which makes you wonder a little what exactly is the difference -- making T'Mir nearly guarantees the making of the time location and vice versa. I'm leaning toward T'Mir anyway, because I'm not comfortable adding even more Earth time locations to the game until and unless we figure out a good way for non-Earth affiliations to make good use of them. (Maybe this is a time location that benefits [Vul] , which would be nice.)

Sorry, Lucas.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Okay, time to rain on Rain's parade. Everybody vote for the "blink" planet! If we can't have the Viking, let's at least get the best picture possible!

There's also some other match-ups. I give no advice on them.
 -  
Prophet
Hello!

Update on the Elite 8 as we head into the weekend. As of 2:00 PM on Friday, March 26th, we've had one-hundred five (105) voters in this poll. Our record is 116 - can we beat it? Either way, I'm very impressed and happy with the turnout this year.

I don't want to reveal which cards are winning, in order to avoid influencing any voters. But, I will give you the current scores in no particular order, and without card ideas attached. Here are the results right now:

68-37
54-51
58-47
67-38

Most of those aren't terrible close, but one of 'em has just three (3) votes between the two cards. A lot can change over the weekend... so vote, if you haven't!

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I'm guessing that 54-51 is the DS9 Bracket...

Both high potential good ideas, not a surprise they both have widespread community support.
 -  
Prophet
The polls for the Elite 8 are closed, and whoo boy is it interesting. As per usual, I'll post the exact results tomorrow, and the Final 4 poll will open on Wednesday. This will be the first time cards from different series face off, and I'm fascinated to see how that shakes out.

By the way, as an update, that match that was 54-51 when I updated you on Friday? It ended up finishing at 54-53. That's by far the closest match all tournament.

And getting one hundred and seven (7) votes in the eighth poll of ten is pretty remarkable. I love all of you for making this the most successful March Madness yet. It's going to be hard to top next year!

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Ok my friends, here are the results:

Soliton Wave (10) took out Ssestar (1) in a substantial upset, 68-39.
Similarly, Holoprogram: Loyalty Test (12) defied expectations to eliminate The Dreamer and the Dream (1), also 68-39.
Fast Rotating Planet (15) shocked the world, winning out against Rain Robinson (1), 59-48.
Carbon Creek (16) continues the Cinderella story again with a razor-thin win over T'Mir (2), 54-53.

Every match was an upset! And the three remaining personnel are all eliminated, including two #1 seeds and a #2 seed. Here are a few details on the four remaining cards:

Soliton Wave is the option with the most potential card types associated with it. I could see this being a dilemma (the wave run amok), an event, an interrupt, or an objective. And, as a subset of the dilemma option, this might be a good candidate for a [Self] dilemma.

Holoprogram: Loyalty Test pretty much demands to be an incident, though I could see it as an objective (conducting the test) instead.

Fast Rotating Planet will most likely be a mission, though it might be tough given the limited space on 1E mission templates. There are some creative solutions to that, though.

Carbon Creek will almost certainly be a time location. I could make a case for it being an Incident though.

Of course, all of the above are just my gut feelings and conjecture at this point. There are likely more options than I'm seeing right now, and the design team that ends up making the card will have the final say. But this is a cool final four, with lots of possibilities.

I can't wait to read your thoughts and see how the vote shakes out. The poll launches tonight at the update, so keep an eye out late tonight or early tomorrow and VOTE.

-crp

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
MidnightLich wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:47 am Fast Rotating Planet (15) shocked the world, winning out against Rain Robinson (1), 59-48.
Woot! Best result in the tournament so far!
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
GooeyChewie wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:55 am
MidnightLich wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:47 am Fast Rotating Planet (15) shocked the world, winning out against Rain Robinson (1), 59-48.
Woot! Best result in the tournament so far!
Q: How do you know if someone doesn't like Sarah Silverman?

A: They tell you!
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]