This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Hello, and welcome to this week's First Edition Friday Question! I'm James Heaney, Rules Manager for the game, and this is my first week on the 1EFQ rotation!

Although my 1E Friday questions won't always be rules-related, you can definitely expect them to be a little abstruse, and here's this week's:

What is your favorite rule that isn't a rule anymore?

The game has had many rule changes and deletions over the years.

Some have been small, technical changes, like the 1997-2000 rule that any card you downloaded could go into play or into your hand. (Now, they all have to go into play, unless downloaded "in place of a card draw.")

Some have been big, like the 1997-2001 (?) rule that any player's personnel could beam through the SHIELDS of a [Bor] ship, or the Jan 1999 - Dec 1999 rule that, whenever a Founder died, all Jem'Hadar present immediately committed suicide.

Some have been massive, like the 1994-1997 rule that your deck (seeds + draws) had to be exactly 60 cards, or the 1997-1999 (?) rule that duplicated missions (instead of becoming shared missions, like today) had to be thrown out and replaced with a ❖ mission from outside the game, or the 1994-1999 rule that you could play any Interrupt between dilemma encounters.

Some have just been weird, like the 1997-2001 Delta Quadrant "interim rules" for handling DQ cards before we had any DQ missions, or the 1996-2000 rule that "androids, holograms, and exocomps" were immune to "dilemmas that affect aging or DNA"
-- namely Barclay's Protomorphosis Disease, Hyper-Aging, Rascals, Yuta, and (by the time this rule was cancelled) Coalescent Organism, DNA Metamorphosis, Interphasic Plasma Creatures, and Microvirus

What this means is that there is a vast graveyard of old rules that used to shape the game in certain ways, but don't anymore. Most of these rules deletions were good and healthy -- but I think we can all cop to missing at least a few of them, because they were cool or fun or because they enabled an abusive deck we enjoyed playing.

So today's question: What is your favorite rule that isn't a rule anymore?

Mine is the old rule that missions without a point box ( ❖ Space, ❖ Nebula) could seed in any quadrant. I thought that was elegant and kinda nifty.
Last edited by BCSWowbagger on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Boring but - I actually long for the missions without a point box could seed in any quadrant rule coming back. TBH - when i came back to 1e and found it was gone....well, there went a few big ideas i had.

2nd place - OTF only - i miss being able to self seed something to encounter it first.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I miss murder delimmas. I never got to play them because by the time I got them printed the poor guy had errata.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:17 pm
What is your favorite rule that isn't a rule anymore?

no more being into borg ships.
no more ketracel white rule
no more rule to bring ❖ missions if opponent seeds an unique mission first
Last edited by Mr.Sloan on Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Too bad we can't include misinterpretations of rules here.

I still like the idea of a Luther Sloan that can report to this fish tank, to your mom, or to that game over there that isn't even ST:CCG. Anywhere is anywhere after all, right?

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Not sure what it is now, but the moment Guramba's rules baggage is offloaded that will be my answer.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
didnt play by the old rules, so idk.
space not being able to play anywhere hurts and should be re-introduced. bajoran wormhole also doesnt have a [1E-GQ] version afterall.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
This was tougher than expected. I guess I've generally liked the changes!

I'll have to second what Hoss-Drone said about being able to self-seed something and encountering it first. Nothing too crazy for me, but it was nice for an Orb of Wisdom deck with HQ: Return Orb to Bajor.

Wanted to mention as well that old rules remarks could be just as fun as the rules themselves (again, the Rules Archive is a treat), whether it's describing the logic behind a rule, or leaving us hanging, or this gem from an FAQ:
Q: MOT'S ADVICE -- If I play Mot's Advice on Mot the Barber, does he have Barbering x2?
A: Yes! You seem to think that is not significant!
Yikes! S-sorry....

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
My best ever deck was 1999 Borg. I miss my stealthily hidden untouchable Outpost.

Honorable mention from the same era: Double Ore Processing. In 1999, FOUR CARDS at the BEGINNING of your turn was zomfgborken! That's so quaint by today's standards.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The old 'Founder Dies and every Jem'Hadar present dies' & the 'one Borg beaming to probe' are my favorite dead rules.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I'm a big fan of all of the old "Trek sense" rules. Loaded skills, white deprivation, etc. (Looking through an old 1997 FAQ, I love the example of being able to play events/interrupts on cloaked ships "as long as the card is logically independent of cloaking ability," i.e. Plasma Fire, sure, Scan, no. And wasn't there a rule that androids can survive just floating around in space and be rescued later?) I'm always sad to see flavor text get errata'd out of the gametext box on those early PAQ cards unless it was really in the way figuring out what the card's actually supposed to do. It's generally for the best that many of these things have been changed (not all complexity is good complexity), but 1E is an RPG disguised as a card game and all these weird, oddly specific rules added to the flavor and immersion.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
DarkSabre wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:37 am the 'one Borg beaming to probe' are my favorite dead rules.
I wondered whether anyone was going to mention that one!

That's a favorite of mine, too.
Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]

New Poster in The Void

Looking to see if we have anybody active or intere[…]

If y’all still want to get things brewing in[…]