This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Hoss-Drone wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:33 am
KazonPADD wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:50 am
Hoss-Drone wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:23 pm https://youtu.be/Xcuu_g4jyOg

Part 2 is now posted and ready for your eyes and ears!
I’m waiting for the Snyder cut of Kev’s videos! :wink:
I realize we get a bit harsh at times but it's nothing personal and we appreciate what you guys do. I've been on design, I know how hard it is to listen to ppl tear into your hard work. Keep up the good work Paddy. As we agree in the end - the set is "above average".

PS - you'll get a snyder cut when you errata we all serve the way. :P :P
No worries Kev!
Incidentally, I just learned Recruit Ally is also a 2E mission! I had no idea that even existed!
Oh, and I spoke to someone within Art. That Vorta in Dogs of War? Not a viable image! Sorry!

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Kevin,

Finishing up listening to Vid 1. Glad you're enjoying this set. To answer your question about Staging Ground and if we ever had the option for them to mix/play all the DS9 affiliations, we did. But it wasn't on Staging Ground. It was actually on the Treaty: Alpha Quadrant Alliance where we saw the problems. The line "You may not play [Car] or [Dom] cards." came about b/c it was proven bonkers broken by adding Dominion to the deck with Fed/Dom treaty in playtesting.

It also got crazy when you could use [MQ] personnel in early versions of SG playtesting, so we had to add that into the text of the treaty as well for Alpha Missions only when we created the initial treaty.

So while SG always had to DL the treaty, it was the treaty that actually was more broken and proved we had to limit who could play with SG. By opening it up to all affiliations, it just got too crazy abusive in a simple Baj/Dom/Fed SG deck.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
HoodieDM wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:14 am Kevin,

Finishing up listening to Vid 1. Glad you're enjoying this set. To answer your question about Staging Ground and if we ever had the option for them to mix/play all the DS9 affiliations, we did. But it wasn't on Staging Ground. It was actually on the Treaty: Alpha Quadrant Alliance where we saw the problems. The line "You may not play [Car] or [Dom] cards." came about b/c it was proven bonkers broken by adding Dominion to the deck with Fed/Dom treaty in playtesting.

It also got crazy when you could use [MQ] personnel in early versions of SG playtesting, so we had to add that into the text of the treaty as well for Alpha Missions only when we created the initial treaty.

So while SG always had to DL the treaty, it was the treaty that actually was more broken and proved we had to limit who could play with SG. By opening it up to all affiliations, it just got too crazy abusive in a simple Baj/Dom/Fed SG deck.
:thumbsup: as long as you got the playtest data to feel like you made the right decision. Im just concerned with everyone remembering that this is a card game, not a role playing game. :P restrictions should be there for game reasons and not "but tv show!" Unless it truly flies in the face of a story first card. (If you can't tell, I'm a zealot for bottom up design.)

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:38 pm :thumbsup: as long as you got the playtest data to feel like you made the right decision.
Thanks. I think the playtesting team really did a good job on this. We had 11+ revisions to this set and multiple playtesting weeks for each revision.
Im just concerned with everyone remembering that this is a card game, not a role playing game. :P restrictions should be there for game reasons and not "but tv show!" Unless it truly flies in the face of a story first card. (If you can't tell, I'm a zealot for bottom up design.)
To answer your second part here, its overall a "game" so your point is valid on both ends. People want an "open sandbox" and I respect that. But I also think that's what makes 1E soooo much better than 2E, is that it FEELS like a Star Trek episode/movie segment with some of the openness and some of the themed restrictions.

I'm sad to hear you didn't care for We All Serve but I think we did what we really wanted to make it feel like it was the Alpha Quad Dominion. Dominion have a ton of tools you have to consider (and you know that very well) and it can EASILY overwhelm other engines pretty quickly if not careful. All these engines were to feel like the last 10 episodes. AQ Dominion aren't supposed to be able to play Founders with exchanging/morphing (they're all sick), they can't do it on themselves since the GQ is shut off (they have to rely on the Breen, Cardassians, Son'a, treaties), Deyos card draw and dial a skill DL with DWE stacks too well, and they can still solve/battle very well.

Them playing with Legate Damar and his crew makes no sense thematically and while you may not agree there for gameplay wise in the idea is that this is very restrictive to TYPICAL Dominion builds and that's exactly what we wanted. We didn't want you to have to play Dominion the way they've been played for the past 20+ years. All the cards you mentioned are staples and we didn't want those staples to be in this deck type. It's not like they can't Treaty: Federation/Dominion and still wreck havoc ;)

You mention it very well in the video and that's the exact intent. It clashes with your play style and that's perfectly fine. Maybe it'll fit others and they'll enjoy the play style. But remember, the other cards we gave you for Dominion work a lot of ways you want in a more open sandbox of current/previous Dominion play styles. I'm hoping you go crazy with Alliance with the Son'a and the AQ Dominion personnel and enjoy that one very much :)

Thanks again for doing a great video review of our cards. I hope we continue to make good cards you can all enjoy. :cheersL: :cheersR:

P.S. I'll work hard to get the broken links we created in this set fix'd, as soon as we can :cross:

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
HoodieDM wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:03 am
I'm sad to hear you didn't care for We All Serve but I think we did what we really wanted to make it feel like it was the Alpha Quad Dominion. Dominion have a ton of tools you have to consider (and you know that very well) and it can EASILY overwhelm other engines pretty quickly if not careful. All these engines were to feel like the last 10 episodes. AQ Dominion aren't supposed to be able to play Founders with exchanging/morphing (they're all sick), they can't do it on themselves since the GQ is shut off (they have to rely on the Breen, Cardassians, Son'a, treaties), Deyos card draw and dial a skill DL with DWE stacks too well, and they can still solve/battle very well......

But remember, the other cards we gave you for Dominion work a lot of ways you want in a more open sandbox of current/previous Dominion play styles. I'm hoping you go crazy with Alliance with the Son'a and the AQ Dominion personnel and enjoy that one very much :)

Thanks again for doing a great video review of our cards. I hope we continue to make good cards you can all enjoy. :cheersL: :cheersR:

P.S. I'll work hard to get the broken links we created in this set fix'd, as soon as we can :cross:
Don't worry....I like to bitch about not getting all the toys but people who really know me know that just means kevs about to get motivated to figure out how to prove himself wrong......and after taking a serious look at it, an actual deep look I've come to the conclusion that the restrictions on it are not actually that strict.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:36 am Don't worry....I like to bitch about not getting all the toys but people who really know me know that just means kevs about to get motivated to figure out how to prove himself wrong......and after taking a serious look at it, an actual deep look I've come to the conclusion that the restrictions on it are not actually that strict.
I get it, Paddy & Stoffe heard my side of things as well during design haha.

Look forward to (hopefully) seeing it in action soon! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
HoodieDM wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:49 am
Hoss-Drone wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:36 am Don't worry....I like to bitch about not getting all the toys but people who really know me know that just means kevs about to get motivated to figure out how to prove himself wrong......and after taking a serious look at it, an actual deep look I've come to the conclusion that the restrictions on it are not actually that strict.
I get it, Paddy & Stoffe heard my side of things as well during design haha.

Look forward to (hopefully) seeing it in action soon! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Well, whenever kris and I get video #2 scheduled you just might.... :shifty:
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]