This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:23 am Romulan Mind Probes

card seems absolutely bonkers.
potential ban candidate?
It's a Filter dilemma. It happens once then goes away.

Personally, I see some interesting possibilities.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
It could potentially stop all but one personnel. It could also potentially stop zero personnel. Either way, the mission continues and the dilemma gets discarded. Pawns of the Military can download it, but it has no requirements and thus won't get the 2 SCIENCE boost. I'll give it a try, but I don't see it as a likely ban candidate.

If any dilemma from this expansion gets banned, I think it'll be Morphogenic Virus. It can also be downloaded with Pawns of the Military, has "cure" requirements that can be boosted, and if somebody figures out a reliable way to relocate the affected personnel to a distant location it could have a major impact for the remainder of the game. Mysterious Orb has been mentioned in this context, though only time will tell if players can obtain that artifact reliably in time to use it for this purpose.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:31 am
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:23 am Romulan Mind Probes

card seems absolutely bonkers.
potential ban candidate?
It's a Filter dilemma. It happens once then goes away.

Personally, I see some interesting possibilities.
you underestimate the card. it will reliably trigger the most disgusting dilemma stacks, with little to none counterplay

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Comparison:. Chula: the chandra and how often have you seen that get played?

I don't play with unreliable dilemmas unless that random factor is part of the strategy or I'm playing a casual game.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:15 am Comparison:. Chula: the chandra and how often have you seen that get played?

I don't play with unreliable dilemmas unless that random factor is part of the strategy or I'm playing a casual game.
I mean, Chandra still gets played... putting it in front of Friendly Fire is still a thing, albeit less of one now than 20 years ago.

I'll believe this new filter is a problem when I see it. I get the feeling it will be one of those looks-scarier-than-it-actually-is cards - though I could be wrong.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
In testing it wasn’t hitting nearly as much as feared!

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:15 am Comparison:. Chula: the chandra and how often have you seen that get played?

chandra does nothing against borg and its also much easier to have matching stats than skills.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:30 pm chandra does nothing against borg and its also much easier to have matching stats than skills.
Doesn’t Borg Vinculum completely negate this dilemma? All your personnel will have a matching skill.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
GooeyChewie wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:41 pm
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:30 pm chandra does nothing against borg and its also much easier to have matching stats than skills.
Doesn’t Borg Vinculum completely negate this dilemma? All your personnel will have a matching skill.
Romulan Mind Probes looks for printed skills, so skill sharing doesn't help. I'm 100% okay with there being some dilemmas that hammer the Borg, given how many whiff.

-crp

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
MidnightLich wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:45 pm Romulan Mind Probes looks for printed skills, so skill sharing doesn't help. I'm 100% okay with there being some dilemmas that hammer the Borg, given how many whiff.

-crp
Ah, I missed one word and it made a huge difference! Okay, the dilemma is better than I thought. I’m still not expecting ban-level strength, since I you can’t really control who it will stop, but I’ll give it a try.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:45 pm
GooeyChewie wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:41 pm
Romulan Mind Probes looks for printed skills, so skill sharing doesn't help. I'm 100% okay with there being some dilemmas that hammer the Borg, given how many whiff.

-crp
i actually dont think its good balance to create blow outs for borg, just because they almost ignore everything else.
i dont think they can ever play around RMP+ V'Ger
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I believe it's an assumption of yours that this is a blow out for the Borg. It's all theoretical right now, and there weren't any Borg blowouts in testing with this card. Time, of course, will tell.

-crp

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Actually skill sharing does help, because if all but one or two are stopped all those two have all skills for further dilemmas.

i wonder if its now possible to blow up some borg, but with multiplexor drone i guess borg-all stars are still a thing.

anyway need to get my lackey to work again, before i can even participate in anything *working on it*
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]