This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 141 posts

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
The closest I've ever personally come to an NPE when (pre-TMP and Transport Inhibitors) an opponent used Invasive Beam-In to beam a couple of Jem'Hadar aboard my Outpost to just hang out there and kill anyone who I reported while he went off to go complete missions and score points to win the game. I conceded because he did this while I didn't have any crew out and I didn't see anything I could do about it.

Even then though, I left feeling like "What can I do to counter this strategy?" rather than "Screw this noise." Even though I'm not sure if I ever did figure out a counter, I do think a big difference in me considering it as me being squashed by a good deck idea rather than an NPE was the opponent's attitude. Had he been acting like a jerk about it, I'm sure I would have left the game feeling much more negatively.

By Zardoz
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
my "favorite" NPE encounters were in college where i got paired up with a smug SOB who happened to be the 2003 World Champion piloting his murderous borg deck. Couple that with a dual doctorate in Smug and Psychology and you can just imagine the laughs that were had by all

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Boffo97 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:08 pm The closest I've ever personally come to an NPE when (pre-TMP and Transport Inhibitors) an opponent used Invasive Beam-In to beam a couple of Jem'Hadar aboard my Outpost to just hang out there and kill anyone who I reported while he went off to go complete missions and score points to win the game. I conceded because he did this while I didn't have any crew out and I didn't see anything I could do about it.

Even then though, I left feeling like "What can I do to counter this strategy?" rather than "Screw this noise." Even though I'm not sure if I ever did figure out a counter, I do think a big difference in me considering it as me being squashed by a good deck idea rather than an NPE was the opponent's attitude. Had he been acting like a jerk about it, I'm sure I would have left the game feeling much more negatively.
I mean this is solved more by Quinn/Kevin/More than one outpost/AMS/ASP/Free plays/Grabbing equipment if possible. If you see your opponent playing Dominion I always recommend the following:

Use Defend Homeworld to grab a security officer or personnel who can grab a hand weapon or if you can use Bareil to grab Transport Inhibitor

Use Q-Tent to grab Transport Inhibitor/Your favorite Rifle/Hand Weapon to put that into play

Use Q-Net to halt the Dominion from getting to you so quickly

Quinn or Kevin the Invasive Beam In

If you are on a planet then you can go ahead & use thine own self on the two Jemmies who come down and make them go under the planet.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
The only NPE I have ever felt was

1) Ability to see a dilemma and avoid it completely in order to bypass it at your next attempt without any 'damage'.

2) Borg assimilate you constantly not caring about going after points but just going to kill you.

Both are near impossible to fight against which I feel is an issue. Almost all other forms of NPE do have counters and depends on local meta.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:46 am
DarkSabre wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:40 am The only NPE I have ever felt was
Thats a 2E card so yeah; my only experience with 2E NPE is the fact that its 2E.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]