This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 141 posts

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:18 pm
SudenKapala wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:29 pm
Professor Scott wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:23 pm Stop revealing my strategy in public.... :shifty:
AND ALSO, HE ALWAYS SAVES UP HIS MANA IN THE BEGINNING TO CAST FORCE OF NATURE!
Noob. I always make sure I go into Mordor with as large of a Fellowship as possible so that my opponent doesn't have enough cards to force Frodo into a battle. Automatic Ring drop, I win.
I actually got both of those references.

One of the reasons I ran Tol Brandir as my site 9.

Also, if you had more than 4 fellowship members that late in the game against me, I was likely losing anyway.

My Ranger/Sauron Tracker/Archery/Hate deck was my favorite LOTR deck back in the day. It just ground fellowships down.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Mountain, Lotus, Channel, Fireball. I won. L2P Nub

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:06 am Mountain, Lotus, Channel, Fireball. I won. L2P Nub
I cast Force of Will your Fireball and discard a card. You have 1 life and I have 19. My turn, I play an Island and cast Black Vise, I win.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I play in 1994 and Fow wont be a thing until 3 yrs later. Now back to your DeLorean cheater.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I fully agree that using time travel to go back in time and play cards that haven't been created yet is an NPE. I demand OP ban time travel immediately. Just not in game time travel. I think.

Wait, is this what we were talking about? And did I dream that part about being defeated by an Xindi/Andorian Treaty deck?

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I activate a gazillion Force, and deploy Darth Vader aboard the Executor (happily forfeiting Ozzel, who was there just to spite y'all).
Mara Jade breaks her cover and backstabs your Pikachu.
The Death Star Prototype appears from out of the Maw Installation and blows up your Pandora (poor Jake Suu-ly).
Too bad I saw your hand with my Black Goo Alien Kidnappers and I know you don't have another copy of Virgil Brigman left to Always Knew This Was A One Way Trip your way out of my USS Montana Nuclear Sub. Lt. Coffey gonna keep nuking your peaceful Minbari still, so no help there!
Yes, your Last Starfighter managed to escape, with that pesky Navigator Lambert for a pilot; but she's not as great as Captain Dallas and my Endurance: Imperfect Contact would've gotten her on the next turn -- if there had been a need. I don't even need my Ash
(That's "Ash the eerie Weyland Yutani artificial person" -- not any Ash from any other of these franchises which I never played a game of.)
interrupt to kill her.

That's why I don't time travel the old-fashioned way -- seeding Marygay to bring out A Separate War* was enough to keep bringing back all my favourite veterans to your parties.

Dadz how it's done, sakkahz!

(*: Okay, that one is really obscure. 10 points -- even if playing Xindi -- if you got it.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
I call out, Uno!

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Professor Scott wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:45 pm I call out, Uno!
NooooooooooooOoooooOOooooO!
I forgot to stack a Model T-1000! :shock:

Didn't see that one coming. That's a fair win -- right at the last moment. :thumbsup:

GG!

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:23 am over the years the cc removed many npe strats from the game, even weaker ones.

so i wonder how is outgunned still a card? in combination with space amoeba and shield reduction it offers little to no counterplay to avoid getting captured /commandeered. which is worse than destroying the ship.
it also ignores both the battle bridge and ablative armor
I'm not always aware of abbreviated lingo. What's "npe"?

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
stressedoutatumc wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 am I'm not always aware of abbreviated lingo. What's "npe"?
Negative play experience. Basically something that makes you not want to play the game. Usually it's something that made you lose while you just sat and watched the opponent, but it could be anything that makes a game un-fun. That said, "fun" is subjective, so what may be an NPE for one player may seem perfectly fine to another.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
GooeyChewie wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:58 am
stressedoutatumc wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 am I'm not always aware of abbreviated lingo. What's "npe"?
Negative play experience. Basically something that makes you not want to play the game. Usually it's something that made you lose while you just sat and watched the opponent, but it could be anything that makes a game un-fun. That said, "fun" is subjective, so what may be an NPE for one player may seem perfectly fine to another.
It's really an experience that's so bad you are unable to do anything in the game. And typically, it's such a frustrating one that the "victim" doesn't want to play again. At least, that's the connotation of the term as I understand it; it's not just negative, it's "f*^& this, I'm out" negative.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
MidnightLich wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:20 pm
GooeyChewie wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:58 am
It's really an experience that's so bad you are unable to do anything in the game. And typically, it's such a frustrating one that the "victim" doesn't want to play again. At least, that's the connotation of the term as I understand it; it's not just negative, it's "f*^& this, I'm out" negative.
If you are familiar with the early days of Magic The Gathering, think Turbo Stasis Decks.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
stressedoutatumc wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 am
Ensign Q wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:23 am over the years the cc removed many npe strats from the game, even weaker ones.

so i wonder how is outgunned still a card? in combination with space amoeba and shield reduction it offers little to no counterplay to avoid getting captured /commandeered. which is worse than destroying the ship.
Is that where they play winter orb and icy manipulator so they get an untap phase and you don't?

I played against a deck like that once.

Once.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:25 pm If you are familiar with the early days of Magic The Gathering, think Turbo Stasis Decks.
Lockout decks are still a thing in Magic. The difference between there and here is that Magic doesn't give partial credit for life. So once the lock is demonstrated, you scoop, GG, go to the next game or match.

1E's policy of punishing a concession by removing all your points means that I would point the fault at the *tournament rules*, not the opponent. Yeah, I blew up your stuff. But it's the rules that punish you for not sitting around for the next half hour.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Armus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:44 pm
stressedoutatumc wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 am

Is that where they play winter orb and icy manipulator so they get an untap phase and you don't?

I played against a deck like that once.

Once.
Yep, I played against it once, and immediately built it. I played it against someone else and saw on their face what my face must have looked like, and never played it again.

I play to win, but I don't try to win at the expense of playing.
Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]