This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 141 posts
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
pfti wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:52 am In the game in question, I think an Alas Poor Queen was also played to stop the regenerate.

So really, we are talking max preperation
That would have been useful information as well. :)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
pfti wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:52 am In the game in question, I think an Alas Poor Queen was also played to stop the regenerate.

So really, we are talking max preperation
Shit, that's the point where you tip your cap to your opponent and say "well played"

If someone is actually packing that level of Anti-Borg tech (and STILL - WHERE'S QUINN?! He's FREE!!) then that's not a problem with the game.

You just ran into a prepared opponent. It happens. Shake hands, say good game, and move on to your next (hopefully more favorable) matchup.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:51 am But, you don't understand his problem at all. He doesn't want to build his deck around an opponent who built their deck around him. He wants to just play what he wants and noone blow up or steal his ship.

He specifically said he doesn't want an answer that is "play a different deck" or "play an interrupt" or "play anti-interrupt cards" because it would change how well his deck works.
the first part is correct, i dont want to play me vs niall decks.

but its not because the deck works worse, i just think its silly. also niall will bury any other tng deck on its way still. (NPE)

its also not well played in my book to pack the deck full of silver bullets against one specific deck. its cutthroat tactics on a tournament level thats meant for fun. in fact you dont have to play well because its each vs each.
you wouldnt tip the hat to someone who punches the weak kid either.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I have actually never complained about losing a game at all. But that is because when I was getting to play games I was taking time off work and skipping sleep for the chance to play with someone to whom I hadn't taught the game. To play a game was rare as a blue moon and precious as a good night's sleep.

Just ask @Faithful Reader how many energy drinks I would bring to Panera bread to last the whole tourney.

I am not saying you are a terrible player for complaining. I am saying that you are asking someone not to bet on what deck you are playing, and that is silly. People will make decks that can win. They will build their decks to beat the decks they expect to see. This is called "teching for the meta." If you refuse to tech back you are effectively ceding the game to the more prepared player.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the term NPE have a very specific meaning?

Mainly that, because of a flaw in the game of some sort, you will not only lose to the deck you are facing but your opponent will essentially be playing solitaire for most of the game because no matter what you do, you really can't respond?

In other words, an NPE "No matter how I prepare, I cannot beat this deck.", not "I don't want to make the necessary changes to beat this deck."

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
when the game devolves into " who draws the most quinns" its the core meaning of "your" NPE. because if you tech, countertech, countertech. no matter what, borg will be taken out of the game. there is no final solution to dodge everything.
not until tngborg get to report another ship.

btw NPE stands for New Player Experience, not teched to the bone experience.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Funny, and I fully admit I might be wrong here, but I've always heard NPE used to mean Negative Player Experience.

As in if I'm playing you, you go first, and you destroy my only Outpost on Turn 1 and I'm left just watching you play, that's a Negative Player Experience.

If people posting in this thread are talking about 2 (or maybe even more?) different things, that would seem to be an issue.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
maybe its used differently here, but either way. you are left without anything in the end. thats quite negative. Its not as fast as Turn1, but fast enough to lose every game.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I definitely thought we were talking about Negative Play Experience, an experience which will cause players to quit the game. Which is why I have been arguing "You change your deck now that you see the problem, not complain that the game sucks" because it is a simple work around.

If we are talking New Player, then you gave the new player the wrong deck. No new players should be playing Borg. Any version of borg. That is a 6th tournament level affiliation. As in, you may attempt to understand how to play borg after your 6th local tournament.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
TNG Borg was explicitely designed for new players. At least thats how it got advertised.

but if its new or negative, its both.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
"Baby's first Borg deck" is not the same as "Learn to play the game" deck. I think we are going to have a difference of opinion this.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Ensign Q wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:39 am TNG Borg was explicitely designed for new players. At least thats how it got advertised.

but if its new or negative, its both.
Incorrect.

[TNG] [Bor] was explicitly designed for new BORG players not NEW players,

and N is Negative not New in NPE.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
This is the first I'm hearing of NPE meaning anything other than Negative Player Experience. Trying to use a different definition would definitely explain some of the confusion in this thread...

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Iron Prime wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:32 am This is the first I'm hearing of NPE meaning anything other than Negative Player Experience. Trying to use a different definition would definitely explain some of the confusion in this thread...
The variants I have heard are Negative Player Experience OR Negative Play Environment

Make It So does NOT unstop the crew aboard a ship?[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]