This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 141 posts

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
No, you see, here is that difference of opinion I mentioned. This is not something a new player should lose to because a new player should never be in the position you found yourself.

You do not give a new player a deck which only contains one ship. You don't give a new player a deck which contains no facility, and you most especially don't give a new player a deck with only one path to victory.

Those are the paths of someone doing fancy foot work during deck construction to have a streamlined deck or reach a specific goal. This is either a practiced player's deck or a "cool" deck.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
regular borg was the first deck i picked up, because it was the simplest. and tngborg is even more simple.

its vain to discuss over the N in NPE. Im not a new player and it was extremely negative.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Which brings us back to the myriad ways to avoid being outgunned. (Which is a draft I saved on page one of this discussion but by the time I came back to it the conversation had moved on, so yay! I did my homework a whole week ago...)

To Be or Not to Be
Anti-Matter Spread
Asteroid Sanctuary
Hail
Shipwreck
Establish Tractor Lock
Data's Head
Plasmadyne Relay
Metaphasic Shields
Nutational Shields
Narrow Escape
Fractal Encryption Code
Condition Red
Launch Portal
Expert Pilot

Or just having more than one ship. Please note that most of these are not silver bullets but also help against battle decks in general. More shields are always good.
Some of these, of course, don't work on battles during a mission attempt. I don't think we have the whole story in one place, however.

I have been working under the assumption that you were facing a amoeba scout Encounter nelvana trap dilemma combo. Because that's what I would use. I could be wrong.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:31 pm regular borg was the first deck i picked up, because it was the simplest. and tngborg is even more simple.

its vain to discuss over the N in NPE. Im not a new player and it was extremely negative.
Borg in essence are NPE because they dont do anything any other affiliation does, so whose doing the NPE'ing here?

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:25 pm Which brings us back to the myriad ways to avoid being outgunned. (Which is a draft I saved on page one of this discussion but by the time I came back to it the conversation had moved on, so yay! I did my homework a whole week ago...)

To Be or Not to Be
Anti-Matter Spread
Asteroid Sanctuary
Hail
Shipwreck
Establish Tractor Lock
Data's Head
Plasmadyne Relay
Metaphasic Shields
Nutational Shields
Narrow Escape
Fractal Encryption Code
Condition Red
Launch Portal
Expert Pilot

Or just having more than one ship. Please note that most of these are not silver bullets but also help against battle decks in general. More shields are always good.
Some of these, of course, don't work on battles during a mission attempt. I don't think we have the whole story in one place, however.

I have been working under the assumption that you were facing a amoeba scout Encounter nelvana trap dilemma combo. Because that's what I would use. I could be wrong.
Four of Eleven
Tomalak of Borg
Amanda Rogers
Quinn

yeah it stinks being the first person to run into a "new combo" but now that it is known and really not that hard to tech against, meta will take it out.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:31 pm you wouldnt tip the hat to someone who punches the weak kid either.
i like metaphors. i find this to be a peculiarly used metaphore. not for the first time in this topic, you allude to new players. you even went as far as posing that i (new/weak kid?) might have a problem with niall's game style (older kid?).
however -- along the lines of your own metaphore -- you've also shown yourself to be the older kid in the playground, who tries to shove a less experienced kid (me) out of OP, because they're "too slow to keep up and that spoils the fun for everybody; go learn in the sandbox outside".
(not something i tipped my hat to, either.)

so on one hand, slow players that you can easily win from, are a negative experience for you. OTOH, good players or decks that are a challenge, are also negative for you.
seems to me that you might be restricting yourself in having fun (like me, when I don't like invasive beam battle decks -- that's on me); but, if so, that is not the responsibility of others.
Last edited by SudenKapala on Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote:Four of Eleven
Tomalak of Borg
Amanda Rogers
Quinn

yeah it stinks being the first person to run into a "new combo" but now that it is known and really not that hard to tech against, meta will take it out.
Just FYI (to further the search for solutions): The "shield enhancements offline" tactic (Target shields?) was also used. (Was that already mentioned?) No help there, from the personnel.
Also, [1E-TNG] [Bor] can't deploy the guard drone.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:52 am

you might prevent outgunned with quinn or Asteroid Sanctuary

the same is true for Anti-Time Anomaly (quinn and kevin)

one is banned, the other isnt. why?
btw the "weak kid" is borg in this context, not the player.
Last edited by Ensign Q on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
HoodieDM wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:34 pm
Ensign Q wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:31 pm regular borg was the first deck i picked up, because it was the simplest. and tngborg is even more simple.

Borg in essence are NPE because they dont do anything any other affiliation does, so whose doing the NPE'ing here?
so u wanna remove borg from the game now? or is this just an unconstructive posting?

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:14 pm Four of Eleven
Tomalak of Borg
Amanda Rogers
Quinn
four of eleven is not a tng card and since you cant attempt being cloaked tomalak doesnt help either.

i also already said that counterspells only work as long as the outgunned player isnt playing them themselves or plays just multiples.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:11 pm
Takket wrote:Four of Eleven
Tomalak of Borg
Amanda Rogers
Quinn

Just FYI (to further the search for solutions): The "shield enhancements offline" tactic (Target shields?) was also used. (Was that already mentioned?) No help there, from the personnel.
Also, [1E-TNG] [Bor] can't deploy the guard drone.
yes you are correct. i was thinking in terms of any [Bor] not just [1E-TNG] [Bor] . (with 4 of 11)

I was looking at Ameoba/Scout Encounter/Nelvana Trap as making this work. i went back and see that it was Disgraceful Assault to place the Target Shields then Ameoba/Nelvana Trap.

So.. yeah that's brutal, and Tomalak won't help (who i suggested for the SHIELDS boost against [1E-Rom], not the cloaking device). There's absolutely nothing you can do to boost your shields. Target Shields is unstoppable.

One thing you could try... make sure you don't have any Transporter Skill when you scout. Disgraceful assault will stop you and then you'll need to tend to removing the damage marker on your next turn (Outpost with spacedock?). It's a pain but then if you have Tomalak aboard, even with Ameoba, you'll still have 9 SHIELDS (vs [1E-Rom] ) when you go back and scout later.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
cant get rid of transporter skill since borg cant just beam down drones.

borg have a million limitations build in, a lot dont seem to be aware of. You also dont just have an outpost, let alone Spacedock.

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:13 pm cant get rid of transporter skill since borg cant just beam down drones.

borg have a million limitations build in, a lot dont seem to be aware of. You also dont just have an outpost, let alone Spacedock.
A solution for the outpost issue for [1E-TNG] [Bor] is Construct Starship + a mission that is also a Nebula and Transwarp Hub. If you use two Construct Starships you can also get the Spacedock.

I like this trick in a [1E-TNG] [Bor] deck as it gives you a way to use Attention All Hands. This isn't obvious, but because Attention All Hands says "may report (for free) aboard your matching outpost" it is giving a location for the report and therefore not using the built in Outpost rules. This means your ❖ [Bor] personnel can be reported aboard the Transwarp Hub in the Alpha Quadrant as long as you don't already have a copy in play (ticky as there are not that any different ❖ [Bor] ).

- James M
Last edited by Orbin on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Question, is there something in TNG Borg which prevents you building facilities? The look I gave over the cards doesn't seem to contain a restriction like Not So Demilitarized so is there something I missed? Sure, you can't seed one, but you can build a Hub at any Nebula...

Or, I guess, what he said... ∆
Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]