This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
From the #ShowMeYourSpaceline files, here's the first physical spaceline I have seen in a year.

It's from my daughter Sabina's very first game of Trek! (She is 6.)

As you can clearly see from this image... she skunked me. I lost 100-0:

I gave her a TOS Fed Final Frontier deck on the theory that I built half of The Cage around the idea that it should be a nice easy intro point for new players. That worked very well! Explaining to her, "This card lets you get a ship at the beginning of the game and play two extra people each turn; this card lets you draw an extra card" was a whole lot easier than explaining everything Continuing Mission is doing!

Unfortunately, I brought a hastily-constructed TNG Romulan deck with inadequate drawing power, forgetting that I had given her enough Kivas Fajos to keep her afloat for the whole game. She played more personnel than I did, and they were better-quality personnel. And I had given her 24 solid dilemmas I'd used to win a South Dakota regional to use against me, while I grabbed the starter-deck dilemma combos from TNG and seeded those 18 against her.

I had believed that my superior knowledge and experience would allow me to keep it close. I was mistaken! I probably would have at least cleared one mission if I had had the good sense to stock a Tricorder in my deck for Founder Secret (I had the Equipment Replicator!), but noooooo... I had to put in two Kits and a PADD instead. And then hit Founder Secret TWICE, once with Distracted By Thoughts Of Home in effect.

Meanwhile, she's sitting over there punching through Picking Up The Pieces / Captain's Holiday because effing Lt. D'Amato has Geo x2 all by his lonesome. She hit Do You Smell Something Burning / A Bad End on her final turn, which was pretty nice (killed three people!), and she very judiciously exercised the "your choice" to kill all the boys, "because if all the girls died I don't think I could stand it."

Needless to say, I'm very proud. She says she'd like to play against me again, "in a couple months."

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
and before you see it coming shes head of cc

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Reading this gave me a flashback to my own similar experience... almost SEVEN years ago?! :shock:

Enjoy the moment, man. My now-11 year old is very quickly becoming too cool for nerd games with daddy. They grow up so frickin' fast it's unreal.

:cheersL:

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
An endearing story! :D

Just one question:
She says she'd like to play against me again, "in a couple months."
Why is this? Is it a good thing? My gut says no. Months without physical Trek will hurt. Does she want that for you?

She's 6 now; old enough to pull her own weight around the household spaceline.

(But seriously -- having her play with an actual deck. I don't even go there anymore, with new players; that's why I created that Warp Speed derivative, "Impulse Speed". Which also works -- but I'm surprised you could actually get this to work with your kiddo! Kudos. :) )

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:28 am Reading this gave me a flashback to my own similar experience... almost SEVEN years ago?! :shock:

Enjoy the moment, man. My now-11 year old is very quickly becoming too cool for nerd games with daddy. They grow up so frickin' fast it's unreal.

:cheersL:
awwww

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:09 am A real chip off the 'ole Heaney block.
Actually, also and in a weird way, a spitting image of my foster sibling at that age. (I forgot to mention that.) Uncanny! :shock:
And very cute and gracious. :) :thumbsup:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:32 am Image
SudenKapala wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:09 amActually, also and in a weird way, a spitting image of my foster sibling at that age. (I forgot to mention that.) Uncanny! :shock:
And very cute and gracious. :) :thumbsup:
She definitely takes after James a bit in looks, IIRC from the one time I met him.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:32 am From the #ShowMeYourSpaceline files, here's the first physical spaceline I have seen in a year.

It's from my daughter Sabina's very first game of Trek! (She is 6.)

As you can clearly see from this image... she skunked me. I lost 100-0:

I gave her a TOS Fed Final Frontier deck on the theory that I built half of The Cage around the idea that it should be a nice easy intro point for new players. That worked very well! Explaining to her, "This card lets you get a ship at the beginning of the game and play two extra people each turn; this card lets you draw an extra card" was a whole lot easier than explaining everything Continuing Mission is doing!

Unfortunately, I brought a hastily-constructed TNG Romulan deck with inadequate drawing power, forgetting that I had given her enough Kivas Fajos to keep her afloat for the whole game. She played more personnel than I did, and they were better-quality personnel. And I had given her 24 solid dilemmas I'd used to win a South Dakota regional to use against me, while I grabbed the starter-deck dilemma combos from TNG and seeded those 18 against her.

I had believed that my superior knowledge and experience would allow me to keep it close. I was mistaken! I probably would have at least cleared one mission if I had had the good sense to stock a Tricorder in my deck for Founder Secret (I had the Equipment Replicator!), but noooooo... I had to put in two Kits and a PADD instead. And then hit Founder Secret TWICE, once with Distracted By Thoughts Of Home in effect.

Meanwhile, she's sitting over there punching through Picking Up The Pieces / Captain's Holiday because effing Lt. D'Amato has Geo x2 all by his lonesome. She hit Do You Smell Something Burning / A Bad End on her final turn, which was pretty nice (killed three people!), and she very judiciously exercised the "your choice" to kill all the boys, "because if all the girls died I don't think I could stand it."

Needless to say, I'm very proud. She says she'd like to play against me again, "in a couple months."
when my daughter was little (we're talking like maybe 18 years ago now???) she didn't learn to play but she wanted "lady cards". all she wanted was female characters. so she has a small collection of Giusti and linda larson and lots of other commons i had a few hundred of lol

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I had a cousin I played with at times when she was young.

We set up a house rule that she got to seed Spot at her Outpost for free. Less that she really used Spot's skill, more that she wanted to adventure through space with a cat.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Boffo97 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:56 pm I had a cousin I played with at times when she was young.

We set up a house rule that she got to seed Spot at her Outpost for free. Less that she really used Spot's skill, more that she wanted to adventure through space with a cat.
Let’s be real here; who doesn’t want to adventure through space with a cat?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:09 pm
Boffo97 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:56 pm I had a cousin I played with at times when she was young.

Let’s be real here; who doesn’t want to adventure through space with a cat?
Am I the only one old enough and nerdy enough to remember this movie?

That wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't a community full of crusty old nerds! :wink:
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Nope. I’m drawing a blank on that one.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]