This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
hi everybody!

As you may, or may not, know I'm from Italy.

Italy and Star Trek are actually strange bedfellows:

we love Star Trek, and sometimes it loves us ( such personnel as Angelo Tassoni OR Leonardo Da Vinci clearly shows that) ... but it doesn't always...

That's the case of Voyager episode "Scorpion", when a frustrated Da Vinci shouts (in Italian) at his wooden blacksmith, but he says something you cannot show in a TV series in here, so he has been "censored" (changed to something less... strong) or when the scenes of the ONLY Italian actress ever acted in Star Trek (Lorella Cuccarini in Insurrection) happen to be practically completely deleted...

so where am I going to?

I've noticed 2 things in TCCG, that could be "done for Italy":

1st there is a Cardassian named Merdan, which in Italian quite literally means Sh*t(n) I think he's just a background guy, who's given a "random" name from a Non canon Novel ... it is rather unpleasant...could that be changed?...

2nd, and most important, yesterday I spotted this guy in DS9 episode 2x14 "Whispers" https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/DeCurtis

he has the name of one of most beloved (and revered) Italian comedian (Antonio De Curtis) AND yesterday actually happened to be his death anniversary (R.I.P. 1967).

IF the Committee will have to create a new [1E-DS9] ENGINEER card, I think De Curtis might be a good candidate.

that's it... just suggestions (and a bit of patriotism... :D :D :D :D )

Hope I haven't been too boring ...thanks for reading!!!

Ivo Founder

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Out of curiosity, would changing it from Merdan to Mer'Dan or Merd'An be sufficient to break up the name and the pronunciation? I am not speaking for TrekCC that they would change it, just offering a simple name change suggestion.

By patrick (Patrick Weijers)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:10 pm I love this post. I think we should make it a point going forward to name every Cardassian after non-English words meaning shit.

The Turkish Bok has already been claimed by the Ferengi, but if you want to stay with Cardassians: Bok'Nor

By patrick (Patrick Weijers)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
patrick wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:20 pm
Takket wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:10 pm I love this post. I think we should make it a point going forward to name every Cardassian after non-English words meaning shit.

The Turkish Bok has already been claimed by the Ferengi, but if you want to stay with Cardassians: Bok'Nor
Dr. Telek R'Mor.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I beam down Poopoo and Peepee and they attempt the mission at Lake Titicaca.

(In seriousness, it would be nice if a website existed where you could plug in words and check if they're offensive in any language.)
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Merde! How did we not spot that?!

Right, I’d best change Ensign Scheisse before release then!

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:48 pm(In seriousness, it would be nice if a website existed where you could plug in words and check if they're offensive in any language.)
This.

And in keeping with more seriousness, we're a multinational community, and trying to look beyond individual country borders... Not reinforce (nor celebrate) them. That's what I like about Trek.
Would it be a good idea if we'd potentially have to cater to all countries of the world!? (And if we don't, why Italy and, say, not all of the other 44 countries in Europe? How are we going to fit in all African languages? Where do we draw the line?)
If there's already two (2) fellow countrymen of yours in the game, Ivo, I'd just look on the bright side, and count your blessings! :wink: :twocents:

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
If this change is being made, it might also be the time to scrub out the swastika on Turanj. It's been brought up several times but I'm kinda surprised that an alternative print hasn't been offered by now.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E European Continental Champion 2023
stressedoutatumc wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:52 pm If this change is being made, it might also be the time to scrub out the swastika on Turanj. It's been brought up several times but I'm kinda surprised that an alternative print hasn't been offered by now.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-01-31 192122.png
Screenshot 2022-01-31 192122.png (206.7 KiB) Viewed 743 times

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
stressedoutatumc wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:52 pm If this change is being made, it might also be the time to scrub out the swastika on Turanj. It's been brought up several times but I'm kinda surprised that an alternative print hasn't been offered by now.
You don't happen to work for a school board in Tennessee, do you?

There's been enough white-washing of ugly history for one year, and it's only January.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation