This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:02 am
AllenGould wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:51 am Obvious one - it means neither player can keep a Holoprogram in play, because on the opponent's turn they can discard it. :)
Does anyone know what Decipher was doing when they put that text there? Was there a degenerate deck this was designed to prevent? Or is it just flavor?
I expect it was a small push to make players care about who owned the station. :)

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Ok, a few thoughts here, and a couple of possibly radical suggestions.

I started playing in Premere, but like many players, the golden age for me was FC-BoG. Player interaction is always something this game needs more of, and it happened a lot. Maybe not at the top of the meta, but at least at casual tables it was possible and fun. Nors were a big part of that.

We should be doing more to promote noun on noun action, not trying to avoid it. For every episode where Kirk calmly solves the Horta, there's one where he hunts his best friend with a laser rifle. Especially in DS9. So:

Radical Idea #1

Most affiliation attack restrictions harm the game instead of help it. They always were more flavor then good gameplay, and with two exceptions (Federation and Borg) aren't really supported as much as we feel. In the case of DS9 especially, we have an early arc dealing with exactly this gameplay situation. Two bajoran players fighting each other over control of the Station.

There are of course cards to get around this, but I've become a believer that silver bullets are not always a good design. Especially for cases like this.

My first suggestion is to lift the affiliation attack restrictions for everyone but Federation and Borg. Gameplay > Flavor (to an extent. I'm not 2E here), and there's flavor to back it up, especially for Cardassians and Bajorans. If you want to lessen it, have it be only lifted on Nors.

Radical Idea #2

So, there's always been the NPE of having your people killed can not just set you back in the game (good) but eliminate you alltogether. (Bad).

Right from the beginning we got things like Escape Pod to help with this. Most the time in Star Trek, death isn't really permanent, at least for our crew we are following. So my crazy proposal 2 would be at least on Nors, that killing personnel only returns to hand or relocates to Sickbay. You could make it a new Sickbay, where "if a personnel is killed in a battle involving the same affiliation, relocate them here, stopped. No battles here." or something like that. Then you can have ongoing power struggles over the nor, and no one gets really hurt.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:51 pm So, here are my Friday questions:

(1) How often do you experience a Nor mirror match? (That is: Terok Nor vs. Terok Nor, DS9 vs. DS9, or Mirror Terok Nor vs. same-affiliation Mirror Terok Nor. DS9 vs Terok Nor is not a mirror match and is considered a related but separate issue, since there are tools to address it like Greater Glory of Cardassia.)

(2) How bad is it to be the player who doesn't control the Nor in a Nor mirror match? We can (and have) developed contrived scenarios where it supremely sucks and completely ruins the non-controller's game -- but how bad is this in real-world gameplay?

(3) How do you play around it? Do you try to commandeer the Nor, despite the challenges? Do you just give up on your Nor-based plans? Do you find it pretty easy to adapt to? Do you stock stuff in your deck to ensure you can survive a mirror match?

And finally, since this is a Friday Question:

(4) If you were on Project Babylon, what would you do about Nor mirror matches (if anything)? We have two ideas we're testing out, but would welcome others.

Kind of a complicated questions, sorry about that, but it's kind of a complicated issue and I hope I explained it clearly.
I don't run into mirror matches very often.

It usually isn't a major issue when I have. DS9 is extremely popular in my house so we see a lot more DS9 decks being played than other formats. We haven't had a bad interaction issue esp. since Cardassians can grab a Nor now if Terok Nor can't be seeded due to DS9 being there.

I have found it to be easy to adapt to (along with my kids) to try and take a Nor from the opponent or do some shenanigans. I feel that an important strategy for Nor players is that expect the unexpected. If you need your Nor to be the core of your deck you must provide some protections against Commandeering. If it isn't, then you make sure you can roll with the punches. DS9 decks are generally far more interactive than any other environment.

I wouldn't do anything about Nor duplications. It really is only about DS9 and I since Cardassians arent solely dependent on Terok Nor then it really isn't an issue.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation