This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I would like a completion to the Barash cycle.
Jean-Luc Riker, Min Riker, Captain Riker, Visorless La Forge,and romulan guards.
You can switch out the [1E-AU] for [Holo] and make a holoprogram to key off the [Bar] icon instead of trying a lorelink.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
jjh wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:13 pm I would love to see a "Return to The Next Generation"- type of project that puts a 2021 polish on important Verbs from that era of sets, as well as supplementing that batch of cards with Helpers/Episode Theme-ing/Simple Fun.

Make it so…
Or just go through the PAQ era cards and make an entirely new 'Revised Edition' of each set to bring them up to par with the current era of cards. That idea keeps being kicked around but never approved.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
DarkSabre wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:48 am
jjh wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:13 pm I would love to see a "Return to The Next Generation"- type of project that puts a 2021 polish on important Verbs from that era of sets, as well as supplementing that batch of cards with Helpers/Episode Theme-ing/Simple Fun.

Make it so…
Or just go through the PAQ era cards and make an entirely new 'Revised Edition' of each set to bring them up to par with the current era of cards. That idea keeps being kicked around but never approved.
I like this idea, but I feel like it's a tough sell for a lot of people because it hurts the nostalgia factor and it also potentially introduces balance issues, breaks a lot of decks, requires playing with printed cards when you already have that physical card in your collection, etc... It's also a lot of work.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
DarkSabre wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:48 am Or just go through the PAQ era cards and make an entirely new 'Revised Edition' of each set to bring them up to par with the current era of cards. That idea keeps being kicked around but never approved.
I've never heard a good reason why, given that the amount of work for "a card" is constant, we need to "fix" old ones. They're old, they exist, why add the overhead of trying to remember the new wording when we could just make a new card?

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:21 pm
DarkSabre wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:48 am Or just go through the PAQ era cards and make an entirely new 'Revised Edition' of each set to bring them up to par with the current era of cards. That idea keeps being kicked around but never approved.
I've never heard a good reason why, given that the amount of work for "a card" is constant, we need to "fix" old ones. They're old, they exist, why add the overhead of trying to remember the new wording when we could just make a new card?
Thats why it would be a Revised Set. Or Enhanced Set. Or call it Redux. It would be a revisit to those sets and make cards from them that would be better suited to today's environment.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
What cards do you wish were still strong enough to compete with all the fancy toys available now? It could be an old ship you played all the time, a personnel who just doesn't have a characteristic that lets them play for free anywhere, or even a dilemma combo that just doesn't cut it.

I think something to keep in mind is that with a game that's 20+ years old, there are going to be like 1000's of cards that just don't see play. That is the case with games like Magic, too. Out of a set of 100 cards, only 8 ever really see alot of play in competitive decks. I honestly think that Trek has done a better job with this than other games. It might be because the nature of the game needing a fairly diverse set of personnel combined with uniqueness. etc.

To me, (sans dilemma) the game has changed significantly in the sense that there is a great incentive to play all within an "era" or "show" group. So, maybe the bigger question is how you make each era equally viable. (It kinda feels that way now with the exception of some that are getting some attention in the upcoming sets. i.e. Movie Era). But, if I think about the cards group within a era or show group, I think most of those cards are playable. Some just honestly lose out to deck space, but won't lose you the game if you don't play them. For example, I may not play a Sulu in a TOS deck, but that doesn't mean it isn't playable.

As far as dilemma goes, that's just about the power curve. This is where STCCG resembles Magic to me the most in the sense that there really are a small set of dilemma that most people are playing because it just becomes the most efficient way to dilemma an opponent. Like, I can guarantee when I play someone, I'm going to hit (in no particular order or combo):

Neural Parasites
Rules of Obedience
Misinterpreted History
Dead End
Friendly Fire
Disgraceful Assault

And, from a personal standpoint, there are a bunch of dilemma that just aren't powerful enough to play. If all a dilemma is going to do is stop a random or two for a single turn, then I'm not going to bother with it.
Question for noob

You can use Defend Homeworld instead of Quark[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]