This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Good day everyone and Happy Friday!

This week I'm coming to you again from the Balance Team to ask about cards from long ago. Maybe back in the PAQ or DS9 eras of Decipher-time.

Way back then one of my favorite decks was a 4-planet Romulan Archaeology build that didn't bother with space missions - I just jammed my deck with personnel that we green and had Archaeology, and maybe I picked up a Kurlan Naiskos on the way to get my D'Deridex's some insane range. I was looking through missions the other day and came across those old premiere missions. Other than Iconia Investigation, others arch staples like Plunder Site and Sarthong Plunder don't see much play. Is it because they aren't as efficient as newer missions? Not in a region?

It got me thinking about other cards from "back in the day" that aren't used anymore, but I have fond memories of, like the Naiskos . As part of the balance team, our purview is to reign in over-the-top, format-bending cards. But balance works both ways - maybe we (or design) could do something to prop up cards that have fallen out of favor due to the speed and efficiency of the modern game. So here's my question for us all to ponder:

What cards do you wish were still strong enough to compete with all the fancy toys available now? It could be an old ship you played all the time, a personnel who just doesn't have a characteristic that lets them play for free anywhere, or even a dilemma combo that just doesn't cut it.

We want to hear about under-powered cards, so skip the ones you miss from the ban list this time around! If you played during Decipher's "Golden Age" or are newer and are just fascinated with an old, unused card, sound off and let us know.

Have a great week!
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Back in the Decipher days, every deck I built (and every deck my local players built) seeded Quark's Isolinear Rods to get a non-OFFICER with Computer Skill x2 along with Defend Homeworld for the SECURITY personnel download. One of the things that surprised me when I returned to the game was how this card had fallen out of favor, even though DH is still alive and kicking. I guess it's because the personnel goes to hand instead of into play. However, I have found it highly useful in the era of the General Quarters rule.

For the record, here is a list of all the people you can download with QIR, many of which are now free plays. Enjoy!
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:20 pm
SirDan wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:07 pmWay back then one of my favorite decks was a 4-planet Romulan Archaeology build that didn't bother with space missions...
Me too! Now I want to build a TNG Romulan Archaeology deck.
There needs to be a [WC] for The Chase. I'm just sayin'...
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:24 pm
SirDan wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:07 pmWay back then one of my favorite decks was a 4-planet Romulan Archaeology build that didn't bother with space missions...
I'm glad to have some company banging that drum.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I would love a Chase core too! I have been playing with the Archaeology Commanders in 2e, but can't get it right. I want to do it In My Game.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:31 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:24 pm

I'm glad to have some company banging that drum.
Happily!
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I should think about this more, but, off the top of my head?

There was a cluster of common/uncommon dilemmas from around the DS9 era that appeared a LOT in my little neighborhood kid playgroup. I have very fond memories of Garanian Bolites and Isolinear Puzzle being actually pretty decent.

That's probably one reason I'm such a strong advocate for Shades of Gray.
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
I wish with all of my 1E Heart that Premiere U.S.S. Enterprise was a better card to play than Chain of Command U.S.S. Enterprise.

That Wall of Ships download keeps the magnificent Premiere card in my binder.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:58 pm I should think about this more, but, off the top of my head?

There was a cluster of common/uncommon dilemmas from around the DS9 era that appeared a LOT in my little neighborhood kid playgroup. I have very fond memories of Garanian Bolites and Isolinear Puzzle being actually pretty decent.

Agreed, with some provisions.

Shades of Gray wasn't perfect at all and should have been done better. It was a set designed PRE-All Cards Can Be Printed. If it had been made now, it probably would have done a lot better (I hope) with making those Premiere dilemmas more viable.

I want to see Artifacts matter more. The speed of the game really changed after the DS9 Decipher Block and Artifacts fell behind due to many reasons but I feel seed slots were a primary reason for many deck builders.

Balance Team needs to revisit every set made before the following two changes to OTF/The game: Full Printability & General Quarters Rule. Those sets were designed around nonprintablility & unlimited downloading. As a result, many of those sets are now underpowered or don't function as well.

I do wish OTF would just be turned into 1.5 Edition. Totally revamp the Seed/Dilemma/Mission phase and give better tools to rein in downloading, instead of General Quarters Rule (even if it would mean changing the rules for downloads to go to hand like 2E instead of into play - maybe color code download as red into play and blue into hand), and overall get cards off the ban list faster by using data instead of boogyman scare tactics.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
jjh wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:40 pm I wish with all of my 1E Heart that Premiere U.S.S. Enterprise was a better card to play than Chain of Command U.S.S. Enterprise.

This is funny enough that I have to comment, because I'm the exact opposite:

I want to play the CoC Enterprise, because I think it's prettier (YMMV obviously). But I nearly always end up stocking the Premiere Enterprise (which does not look great in Lackey), because I don't have room in my Tent for a Wall of Ships to download!
First Edition Balance Manager
By JasonRed3 (Jason Robinette)
 - First Edition Balance Manager
 -  
jjh wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:40 pm I wish with all of my 1E Heart that Premiere U.S.S. Enterprise was a better card to play than Chain of Command U.S.S. Enterprise.

I agree with you there.

Escalation! :(
First Edition Balance Manager
By JasonRed3 (Jason Robinette)
 - First Edition Balance Manager
 -  
DarkSabre wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:49 pm Stuff
Most of that seems to be pretty far off-topic. :(

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:58 pm I should think about this more, but, off the top of my head?

I've been advocating for years that Ds9 needs it's own shades of gray help. Back in the 90's I played with aphasia device a lot and wish i could again.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:17 pm

I've been advocating for years that Ds9 needs it's own shades of gray help. Back in the 90's I played with aphasia device a lot and wish i could again.
You mean back when games ran enough turns that Aphasia Device was a legit threat to wipe a whole crew?

I don't think a SoG card solves that problem.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation