This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Just thought I'd update my previous suggestion using the wording from the recent Q-Flash errata and some thoughts in this thread.
JeBuS wrote: Set the scene with an interior shot of the Krennim weapon ship with some of Annorax's collection.
[Door] Museum of Lost Histories
Seeds on (opens) Artifact side deck (13 different [Art] cards). You may not seed [Art] cards. When your Away Team including at least Archaeology x3 complete a planet mission, you may download an artifact from your Artifact side deck (as if earned). Your opponent may reseed your [Art] when discarded.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
JeBuS wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:56 pm Just thought I'd update my previous suggestion using the wording from the recent Q-Flash errata and some thoughts in this thread.
JeBuS wrote: Set the scene with an interior shot of the Krennim weapon ship with some of Annorax's collection.
Seeds on (opens) Artifact side deck (13 different [Art] cards). You may not seed [Art] cards. When your Away Team including at least Archaeology x3 complete a planet mission, you may download an artifact from your Artifact side deck (as if earned). Your opponent may reseed your [Art] when discarded.
I want this, but it has to be randomly downloaded!

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
pfti wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:15 pm
JeBuS wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:56 pm Just thought I'd update my previous suggestion using the wording from the recent Q-Flash errata and some thoughts in this thread.
I want this, but it has to be randomly downloaded!
I's also like to see phrasing like Dyson Sphere Door;

[Art] you download must come from here (ignoring opponent's cards that prevent downloading).

This means those pesky [DL] artifacts will have to take a slot. This also helps thin the rest as far as randomizing goes too. This will of course not work Cryosatellite, but that is the choice made my the player seeding the doorway. Hmm how about a random Magic Carpet Ride draw?
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Professor Scott wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:51 pm I's also like to see phrasing like Dyson Sphere Door;

[Art] you download must come from here (ignoring opponent's cards that prevent downloading).

This means those pesky [DL] artifacts will have to take a slot. This also helps thin the rest as far as randomizing goes too. This will of course not work Cryosatellite, but that is the choice made my the player seeding the doorway. Hmm how about a random Magic Carpet Ride draw?
Sure, why not?
Seeds on (opens) Artifact side deck (13 different [Art] cards). You may not seed [Art] cards. [Art] you download must come from here (ignoring opponent's cards that prevent downloading). When your Away Team including at least Archaeology x3 complete a planet mission, you may download a random artifact from your Artifact side deck (as if earned). Your opponent may reseed your [Art] when discarded.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I think artifacts are an important -- and currently neglected -- part of the game's ecosystem.

In Magic (and most card games), the power level gradually escalates over the course of the game, as decks "ramp up" their mana pools.

Some decks ("ramp" decks) attempt to merely stay alive in the early game while focusing on ramping up their overall power level so they can reach the endgame and stomp their opponent to death. Combo decks do something similar: they try to stay alive, falling behind but not losing, until they can activate a crushing combo that all but assures swift victory.

This is a cool strategic layer that causes the game to evolve over time. It's not something we should emulate because everyone else does it. It's something we should emulate because our game is incredibly long (75 minutes! and that's rushing it!) and we would benefit from having more evolution of the game state as it approaches the close.

Now, Trek does have a gradual power-level "ramp up", as more and more creatures personnel enter play, making dilemmas and missions faster and easier to clear.

But we have really nothing that "switches on" in the endgame. You can play Jean-Luc Picard as easily on the first turn as the last turn. So don't have anything like Apex Devastator, which can't play until the very end but will absolutely wreck you when it does.

...except Artifacts. By preventing artifact acquisition until after a mission is solved, we have an entire card type that can only exist in the mid- to late-game. I'm convinced that's why Decipher created the card type. Artifacts are where we can create some differentiation between different parts of the game, so that the endgame is not just "same as the early game, only faster." Artifacts can enable true ramp decks and true combo decks -- something we are sorely lacking in our current longstanding "solver, aggro, or midrange" meta.

I'd go as far as suggesting that we should create a few artifacts that require you to solve two missions before they can be used, so they are truly endgame cards and can't be accessed on Turn 3 by a speedster / used to power a two-mission win.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i dont think we need snowball mechanics james. although there is a lot to learn from magic and other games, gamepace is certainly not one of it.
we are much closer to chess, which is a good game and you usually dont get a second queen there either. unless the opp is like sleeping
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:23 pm we are much closer to chess
Chess is a bad example, because chess is a perfect information game (there's no hidden information).

The problem with artifacts is that 1E is very front-loaded - think of how many mechanics can fit this template:
Seeds on table; download <goodies>. Once per game, download <goodies>. You may play <goodies> for free.
So, by the time a modern deck hits that first mission... what do they need anymore? And for the cost of a seed slot, could they have got that need earlier and easier than "after solving a mission"?

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
chess has no random elements
chess has a continuous gamepace
chess is "frontloaded"

thats closer to 1e than magic

ofc you can always find differences
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
BLAZING hot take:

Chess is boring, bring on the snowball. 1E needs more possibilities in its rock-paper-scissors.

(I don't want every deck to have snowballs, and I don't want every game to feature it. But suppose we made one affiliation -- say, Bajorans, maybe--really good at diggin' up and using artifacts, so they could have a snowball effect. That could be fun, and give Bajorans a bit more identity!)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:27 pm i play 1e for what it is.
wouldnt mind identity, but we already have that

Characterize Neutrino Emissions
Not much digging in [1E-S]

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:21 pm
(I don't want every deck to have snowballs, and I don't want every game to feature it. But suppose we made one affiliation -- say, Bajorans, maybe--really good at diggin' up and using artifacts, so they could have a snowball effect. That could be fun, and give Bajorans a bit more identity!)

[Stares in Lost Art of the Seed Phase]

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:47 pm
Professor Scott wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:22 pm
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:27 pm i play 1e for what it is.
wouldnt mind identity, but we already have that

Characterize Neutrino Emissions
Not much digging in [1E-S]
I Hate You
Attachments:
FB_IMG_1628295074924.jpg
FB_IMG_1628295074924.jpg (22.94 KiB) Viewed 590 times
Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]