This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I started playing in 1999 because I met some cool Trekkie chicks in college and they introduced me to the game. We became roomates and played together for 3 years.

I restarted playing in 2017 because @sevencrdspud rightly pointed out that I was the Vice Chair (my title at the time) for the whole Continuing Committee and should play all three games, not just 2E and Tribbles. Now I'm hooked. :D

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
The write-up for the game in SCRYE magazine in 1994 prior to release. I was tired of playing people in MTG that started with Alpha/Beta that had all the toys when I had only started with Revised. I wanted to start at the beginning. I did the same thing with Star Wars in 1995, and again with Young Jedi and Lord of the Rings (All Decipher games). I tried Tribbles when it came out at Deciphercon 2000, and it was not for me. I also tried 2e when it came out, but I didn't like the costing system, and I absolutely hated that it had the same card back and it's backwards compatibility. It was it's own game and should have been separate from day 1 was my thought at the time.

I have since reread the 2e rules and would be open to try playing via Lackey I guess but I would never invest funds into it.
Last edited by Professor Scott on Wed May 12, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
I've told this story before, but what the hey:

The summer I graduated from high school, I was staying with family friends while working, and they showed up with a pair of starters for two of these new-fangled games. And I've always been a "read the manual" sort, so I read the rules, put some decks together. And it turns out that two starters of Premiere Trek turns into a Fed and a Kli/Rom deck that were vaguely good matchups, while two starters of Magic gets you a two color deck with no fixing and a three-color deck with no fixing (don't remember the colors), and was pretty miserable to play.

Then, moved into residence for university, and tried out the Star Wars game, but when you buy starters and don't see a character you recognize, that doesn't take off.

Over the years I've accumulated quite the collection of different CCGs, because (a) I'm a nerd for interesting mechanical game design, and (b) different games do different things well.

Which brings to the "why still playing" - I've not seen another CCG that does the same things well that 1E Trek does well. And there are other games that do well what 1E doesn't do so well. So it remains part of the repertoire. :)
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
1E American National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Why did I start? A friend and I went to a Star Trek convention in Portland, OR back in the day. He bought three of packs of BB and ended up with a Borg Ship, Data and Picard. Store owner asked what he wanted for them and, through some negotiations, we ended up splitting two white border boxes and two tins. We played against each other but never in tournaments (Seaside, OR is far from any card store) It wasn't until our public library got internet that I was able to learn more about the game.

Why have I continued to play? Achievements. I build something new, play it, maybe win with it and then move on. That's honestly where I'm at right now. I won't get all of them (never going to play 1E Borg) but otherwise, that's it.

Michael

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Loved Star Trek since watching it on TV as a kid (re-runs in the 80s) and see Star Trek IV in the theatre. I didn't get into Next Gen at first, even though I watched the Premiere. At age 7 "Encounter at Farpoint" was a bit too cerebral for me. I did see some random episodes but around season 5's finale was when I really started watching and I was hooked.

I played Magic since the time where Revised was the latest set, and I loved it. So when a Star Trek game came out I wanted to play even though I had limited money to buy it. I got disillusioned after a while about the factions being so unbalanced and all the good Federation cards costing outrageous amounts. Also the rules were clunky and I barely had Internet access to figure anything out.

First Contact brought me back, with the excitement of the film(Still one of my favorite movies) and the cool new set with the Borg and actual attention to cleaning up the rules. After that I just bought everything I could from Software Etc and other places that often sold the packs pretty cheap. I liked the game because deck building was hard to figure out and there were lots of hidden tricks you could pull off.

I bought cards from every set released, even an AGT which I paid $130 on ebay and thought it was possibly one of the worst decisions I had ever made at the time, but I really wanted it. Turned out that was a good decision because I would never have been able to stomach paying the prices it goes for now.

I followed the CC from the early days when Life From Lifelessness hadn't released yet, and trolled the message boards over the years, sometimes playing a game with 1-2 friends who actually played here. I never really had the ability to travel and I wasn't sure about online tournaments if there even were any, they seemed like too much trouble.

When the pandemic started I noticed a lot of tournaments moving online and I figured this would be my chance to play the game again. I don't know if many online tournaments will happen after "normal" comes back and I hope conditions are favorable for me to go to Worlds this fall because that's somewhere I might actually be able to travel to.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I was always fascinated by TOS when I glimpsed a scene as a kid, but never was allowed to watch a whole episode.

Somewhere in or before '93 I started watching TNG reruns on our national TV. I quickly fell in love. Seeing Trek V as my first Trek film was providence, because now I can stomach it because of awesome "awakening" associations, and nostalgia. Trek II and III soon followed, and I was hooked to the franchise. That must have been '93 still, or '94. By then, I had started reading tech manuals, building model kits, and writing fan fiction.

I started playing Magic in the summer of '94. Didn't know of any Trek game then. That came in '95, when I pilfered my very first card -- a BB USS Oberth that I still have -- from a schoolmate. I had loved the esthetics of the Oberth class since seeing Trek III, so I just had to have it. The card fascinated me, and when I found out where it came from, I started buying. There -- in my local game and comics store -- I met my first STCCG friends. I did play a lot, certainly in the beginning; but until 2016 I always was a collector at heart.

I also -- very loosely (with a low budget for any game) -- started collecting SWCCG, ME, TLOTR, YJ, SWTCG, some Dune, ...

2e, I totally ignored, because of multiple reasons.

Regarding playing 1e, I dwelt in my own little world for ages (mainly Premiere-style, without side decks); and I've often been browsing my binders throughout the years.

When I dusted off my decks and surplus/deck cards in 2014, of a mind to play again, I found some people to actually play with again. Then, in 2016, I started lurking around this site, having registered for building decks.
In 2018, around the time I started using Boffo's spreadsheets and when the Jokes And Memes threat was kickstarted, I finally felt comfortable enough to join in the fray.

The rest is history. (You can find some other vantage points of it all in one of my very first posts here.)
I hope conditions are favorable for me to go to Worlds this fall because that's somewhere I might actually be able to travel to.
That's what I though in 2019, and while a very long -- and high warp 8) -- trip, and very exhausting experience for a private and 'socially shy' person, it was well worth it and an extremely gratifying long weekend.
I had actually seriously contemplated to actually consider thinking about perhaps starting to plan for maybe going to Chicago [sic], which I'd have to draw out all my pension funds (and five years of my life) for, but then corona hit. So that's not in the stars for me this year. :(
I'd have loved to meet more of the community there. I hope I can go "in a few years".
geraldkw wrote:First Contact
brought me back, with the excitement of the film
(Still one of my favorite movies) and the cool new set with the Borg
:thumbsup: :borg: :wink:
I don't know if many online tournaments will happen after "normal" comes back
If others don't initiate them, you can. (And if you don't, I will.) It's so easy even I can do it. (With a little help and support from exoerienced TDs, anyone can.)
Professor Scott wrote:I have since reread the rules and would be open to try playing via Lackey I guess but I would never invest funds into it.
This is about 2e, I reckon?

BTW, a few weeks back I found a similar topic from ages ago, which I have been reading up on. I love these kinds of reminiscences! :thumbsup:
Last edited by SudenKapala on Wed May 12, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I had been playing/collecting CCGs for awhile. Overpower, Star Wars, etc. I was a fan of Star Trek TNG b/c my dad and I would always watch it. When I got to high school in 1997, First Contact expansion came out and I made some friends who enjoyed Trek as well. One of the local Barnes & Nobles at the mall, had packs of AU and my LGS had a variety of stuff. Plus I frequented other gaming stores when my mom would drive past them and found the First Contact packs. So I got into it that way for a little bit. I played kitchen table games with friends and then after a couple of years, traded everything for Ani-Mayhem CCG Dragonball Z cards b/c then I got heavily into anime in my last two years of high school.

Then in 2010 I moved to Chicago, IL and didn't really know anyone. Thought, I had some extra income and I'd like to see if any old vintage ccgs were around/available. Seen the Trek CC, met the Chicago group, and instantly fell in love with the game again. Corbin, Jason, and Michael all reintroduced me to 1E. I met Maggie, Al, Eric, and the rest of the 2E players and they introduced me to 2E and Tribbles. Which I occasionally enjoy for fun. I also played a bit of Lackey in those days and met the likes of Niall and MVB with online play.

Then I moved to Charlotte, NC and met Scott, Nathan, and the crew there. I also finally met Ryan Sutton (he was visiting from TN) and we all became close friends that way. I then moved to Lexington, KY a year later and been here since 2014. But still remain on the boards since :)

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
SudenKapala wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:02 pm
Professor Scott wrote:I have since reread 2e the rules and would be open to try playing via Lackey I guess but I would never invest funds into it.
This is about 2e, I reckon?
Yep, edited!

By sevencrdspud (Jason Beyer)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:08 pm I restarted playing in 2017 because @sevencrdspud rightly pointed out that I was the Vice Chair (my title at the time) for the whole Continuing Committee and should play all three games, not just 2E and Tribbles. Now I'm hooked. :D
Best. Troll. Ever.

:D :cheersL:

By Ausgang (Gerald Sieber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I discovered Magic in 1997, but after less than one year I switched to Star Wars CCG. At that time I was very curious about any of the other CCGs out there and at every opportunity I joined trial games; I won't provide a list now :D .

Some of the local SWCCG players happened to also play Star Trek CCG, and since at that time the TD wasn't allowed to participate in their own tournaments, he borrowed me his current deck (which sometimes also helped making it a sanctioned event). Of course, I did miserably, only getting to know the deck while actually playing, but I enjoyed it.

When 2E was announced, prizes for 1E's sealed products dropped hard, and that's when I started to buy into it; I never had the extra penny for it before. But, since the player base also started to deteriorate, or at least they weren't present at the LGS anymore, I never really played the game until the beginning of 2015.
AllenGould wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:46 pm Over the years I've accumulated quite the collection of different CCGs, because (a) I'm a nerd for interesting mechanical game design, and (b) different games do different things well.

Which brings to the "why still playing" - I've not seen another CCG that does the same things well that 1E Trek does well. And there are other games that do well what 1E doesn't do so well. So it remains part of the repertoire. :)
I recognize myself a lot in those statements, but I sold most of the CCGs (and LCGs) I used to collect. As of now my repertoire consists of STCCG 1E, MTG (only EDH), Arkham Horror, and Doomtown Reloaded.

Fun fact: I didn't watch Star Trek before I started getting interested in the game (also because my parents were a bit restrictive about watching TV afternoons). So yeah, the game brought me to the show, not vice versa like the seemingly majority here :D
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Ausgang wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:34 am I recognize myself a lot in those statements, but I sold most of the CCGs (and LCGs) I used to collect. As of now my repertoire consists of STCCG 1E, MTG (only EDH), Arkham Horror, and Doomtown Reloaded.
Far as I can tell, the only CCG I've actually ditched was Survivor (and it may be hiding in a box somewhere -we had only bought the one starter), and last year Kim convinced me that we didn't need more than 30 copies of those common droids for Young Jedi. :)

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
My path to STCCG starts in 1989 at my 6th birthday, and winds all the way thru to my current career and meeting my wife and leading to my kids. It's a bit long. ;)

1989 - It's my 6th birthday, and my grandparents buy several kids meals from Burger King for my party. The "toy" is several small reprints of comic books, including Captain America, and Spider-Man. This is where I start reading comics.

1995 - I'm in the comic book store, and when checking out, I see a starter deck for Star Trek - my other great love at the time. (And still). I buy a couple of the starter decks. I found another friend who played, and continued to collect from WB premier on thru to First Contact. I still remember the feeling of spending my allowance on AU packs, and pulling a Future Enterprise. (And then later reading Scrye and finding out it's a UR.)

Around the time of First Contact and DS9, I start going to tournaments occasionally ... on the other side of the state, when we would go visit my grandparents. Still, it scratches the itch.

I also started playing online on Kedanya at this time. (My handle on the decipher boards was 10 of 10321, Long Distance drone, and later Boromir of Borg.). (For the record, playing via a text based chatroom is my version of walking to school uphill both ways in the snow. Get off my lawn you kids with your user interfaces.)

Around DS9/Dominion I find a local playgroup.

2000 - I went to DecipherCon 2000 in Orlando, met some of the people I was playing online with.

I played in The Great Tribble Hunt and placed second.
IMG_1206.JPG
IMG_1206.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 1456 times
My local playgroup had faded away, and I still followed it online regularly. Decipher was my daily homepage, really. Then Lord of the Rings came out. I loved it, and thanks to the decipher boards found 3 others in my area who played. 2 of them I still speak with several times a week, 20 years later and living 2000 miles away.

Because of one of them, when I was looking for a job, he suggested this call center. I started working there, met my future wife, started working with a company that has been a great career (not the call center) and been with that company 14 years.

2nd edition didn't quite do it for me, so I fell out a bit, but stayed aware of everything going on with STCCG, and when the CC was formed, and checked back here at least a few times a year.

Truly, Decipher and this card game has helped me get where I've ended more then most other things in my life, and it's been a great community.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Lord of the Rings was a great game, I also got into it because it was a Decipher game and I played with the same people I played Trek with. There are some who still play online I guess but I mostly played in the Fellowship/TT era and I felt like the later era was similar to 2E in that it might have been a better game but it lost the connection with the stories.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]