This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi!

That depends on several factors:
1 What missions are in your deck?
2 What is the current state of the META you intend to face, regarding dilemmas?
3 How big is your draw deck?
4 Which skills can you bring out reliably before or during the game (so no draw
luck involved in getting them -- only some effort in protecting those personnel)? This factor will modify the below ideas.

Others will hopefully give you more tips!

But in my decks of between 40-60 cards, I tend to include at least 8 or 6 of each primary personnel type. Then, 5 or 6 of skills you'd need 3 distinct personnel with to pass certain META dilemmas, and the secondary personnel types (which you don't often need 3 of -- which depends on the META).
That's if I can get lucky with skill boxes. I might be tolerant here or there.

Then, at least 4 of each skill you need for missions. (Non-negotiable for me, except when can be brought out and
protected.)

I try to have all remaining skills at least once; for fun/diversity, and the off chance you face 'that one dilemma'. (I often played with non-META dilemmas, just for fun and surprise -- so it does happen.) But that's probably not very sound advice.

And overall, I have a peculiar way of building my decks... so don't follow my suggestions blindly. 8)

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'm going to be really honest, and this annoys my whole playgroup, I never even check. I very loosely acknowledge if I have the mission requirements, but never really check anything that carefully. It's very much a surprise when I have the mission requirements or can pass a dilemma sometimes. Meanwhile, I have friends who make spreadsheets and matrices for their skillckecks.

I do it on purpose because it fits my intended play style of pure chaos.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
stressedoutatumc wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:10 am I'm going to be really honest, and this annoys my whole playgroup, I never even check. I very loosely acknowledge if I have the mission requirements, but never really check anything that carefully. It's very much a surprise when I have the mission requirements or can pass a dilemma sometimes. Meanwhile, I have friends who make spreadsheets and matrices for their skillckecks.

:thumbsup:

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ivofounder wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:18 am Thank you!

ehm ... what's a META dilemma, again?
:? :? :?
It is a dilemma you see your opponents playing a lot in the play group that you intend to play the deck in.

stressedoutatumc wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:10 am I'm going to be really honest, and this annoys my whole playgroup, I never even check. I very loosely acknowledge if I have the mission requirements, but never really check anything that carefully. It's very much a surprise when I have the mission requirements or can pass a dilemma sometimes. Meanwhile, I have friends who make spreadsheets and matrices for their skillckecks.

This is very much me. I do use the skill count on the deck builder, but I don't worry too much about how many different non-Officer Computer Skill I have, for instance.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I just try to get as close to 5 of every common skill, minimum 6 of every classification and 7 or better of every mission skill as I can do. Then make sure most of the officers are strength over 5, they don't have all my arch, and I got 3 transporter skill across three people. That usually gets the job done as most of what happens in game is how well you anticipate and manuever around the opp and dilemmas.

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon a[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

That's what I thought. I think the card may not b[…]

New Tribbles are coming! Look busy! https://www.t[…]

You will need one more thing for this - compatibil[…]