This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi!

That depends on several factors:
1 What missions are in your deck?
2 What is the current state of the META you intend to face, regarding dilemmas?
3 How big is your draw deck?
4 Which skills can you bring out reliably before or during the game (so no draw
luck involved in getting them -- only some effort in protecting those personnel)? This factor will modify the below ideas.

Others will hopefully give you more tips!

But in my decks of between 40-60 cards, I tend to include at least 8 or 6 of each primary personnel type. Then, 5 or 6 of skills you'd need 3 distinct personnel with to pass certain META dilemmas, and the secondary personnel types (which you don't often need 3 of -- which depends on the META).
That's if I can get lucky with skill boxes. I might be tolerant here or there.

Then, at least 4 of each skill you need for missions. (Non-negotiable for me, except when can be brought out and
protected.)

I try to have all remaining skills at least once; for fun/diversity, and the off chance you face 'that one dilemma'. (I often played with non-META dilemmas, just for fun and surprise -- so it does happen.) But that's probably not very sound advice.

And overall, I have a peculiar way of building my decks... so don't follow my suggestions blindly. 8)

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'm going to be really honest, and this annoys my whole playgroup, I never even check. I very loosely acknowledge if I have the mission requirements, but never really check anything that carefully. It's very much a surprise when I have the mission requirements or can pass a dilemma sometimes. Meanwhile, I have friends who make spreadsheets and matrices for their skillckecks.

I do it on purpose because it fits my intended play style of pure chaos.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
stressedoutatumc wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:10 am I'm going to be really honest, and this annoys my whole playgroup, I never even check. I very loosely acknowledge if I have the mission requirements, but never really check anything that carefully. It's very much a surprise when I have the mission requirements or can pass a dilemma sometimes. Meanwhile, I have friends who make spreadsheets and matrices for their skillckecks.

:thumbsup:

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ivofounder wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:18 am Thank you!

ehm ... what's a META dilemma, again?
:? :? :?
It is a dilemma you see your opponents playing a lot in the play group that you intend to play the deck in.

stressedoutatumc wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:10 am I'm going to be really honest, and this annoys my whole playgroup, I never even check. I very loosely acknowledge if I have the mission requirements, but never really check anything that carefully. It's very much a surprise when I have the mission requirements or can pass a dilemma sometimes. Meanwhile, I have friends who make spreadsheets and matrices for their skillckecks.

This is very much me. I do use the skill count on the deck builder, but I don't worry too much about how many different non-Officer Computer Skill I have, for instance.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I just try to get as close to 5 of every common skill, minimum 6 of every classification and 7 or better of every mission skill as I can do. Then make sure most of the officers are strength over 5, they don't have all my arch, and I got 3 transporter skill across three people. That usually gets the job done as most of what happens in game is how well you anticipate and manuever around the opp and dilemmas.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation