This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Hey, everyone! It's Friday, so it's time for a Friday Question! (it's still technically Friday in American Samoa, shut up) Here is your question:

What rule can die in a fire?

(In other words: what is a rule that is so egregiously bad it actively upsets you?)

Until recently, I think the overwhelming majority of the answers would have mentioned "Nor rules." However, with the recent streamlining of Nor rules, I'm very interested in knowing what the new frontier of Frustrating Rules Cruft is.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
KazonPADD wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:03 amGurumba
I know BCS liked my idea for offloading that rule onto a card.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The change to the Borg Rules when The Borg set was released.

By Ausgang (Gerald Sieber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Something that never made sense to me, is completely unnecessary, and probably nobody strictly enforces anymore since pretty any other card game ever doesn't have this rule. From the Glossary entry for the discard pile:
You may not rearrange or look through cards in any player's discard pile unless a card allows you to.
On a similar level, not being allowed to look through your Q's Tent, for example to read a card, feels equally frustrating and pointless.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
This one is pretty specific, but Sherman’s Planet really needs errata that ads “23rd Century” to its lore. It describes the 23rd century, it appeared in the show only as the 23rd century, and it only makes sense that it says 23rd century because of how it appeared in both series it appeared in.

So yeah, the fact that it doesn’t is something that can burn in a fire.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ausgang wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:38 am Something that never made sense to me, is completely unnecessary, and probably nobody strictly enforces anymore since pretty any other card game ever doesn't have this rule. From the Glossary entry for the discard pile:
You may not rearrange or look through cards in any player's discard pile unless a card allows you to.
On a similar level, not being allowed to look through your Q's Tent, for example to read a card, feels equally frustrating and pointless.
Facts
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Ausgang wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:38 am Something that never made sense to me, is completely unnecessary, and probably nobody strictly enforces anymore since pretty any other card game ever doesn't have this rule. From the Glossary entry for the discard pile:
OMG, this.

I understand not rearranging-that’s important because of cards like Nanoprobe Resuscitation, but not being able to look is just dumb.

In [2E], the discard pile of all players is public knowledge and can be examined at any time by any player. It hasn’t broken the game yet.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Walking.

OOPS, that's gone already. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Without a real thorn in my side I guess I will second the "you can't look through your own piles/decks (except the draw deck obviously)". It would be nice to know if I'm sitting around waiting for some skill if the person i know has that skill died when my ship blew up 5 turns ago, or if someone in my q's tent has it.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
"Unless"

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Movement. The idea that you can move and let go of a ship and then pick it up later and continue moving is just mindboggling! The memory needed to know how much was used and even worse, if there were ever too many similar ships being used for ferrying back and forth...
Question for noob

You can use Defend Homeworld instead of Quark's[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]