This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hey, everyone! It's Friday, so it's time for a Friday Question!

One thing that the playtest team attempts to do when testing a new set is to run the proposed cards through many different scenarios with different deck styles. I am curious about how the community sees the different deck styles and what they mean to everyone, so our Friday Question this week is:

What's your preferred play style?

We generally talk about play styles/deck types in these categories:
  • Speed Solver
  • Mid-Range Solver
  • Interference Deck
When you build your deck where do you usually fit and what does that mean to you? Do you call your play style something different than above?

I'll start us off with talking about my preferred style.

My preferred style falls into the Mid-Range Solver. For me, this means that I'm primarily focused on solving my missions but I do devote some part of my deck to redundancy/recovery and/or the ability to interact with my opponent if the situation arises (often through being battle capable, but not battle focused). More often than not, I'm going for a 3 missions as I don't like devoting a lot of resources to doing two missions. When I seed my missions I tend to interweave my missions with my opponents to try and cause a Speed Solver some issues.

-James Monsebroten, 1st Edition Playtest Manager

By sevencrdspud (Jason Beyer)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Speed solver.

I shoot for a deck as close to 30 cards as I can. I need VERY good reasons to go above 45.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Interference via capture, moderate battle or obscure interrupts, because I'm terrible at assembling away teams for mission attempts.

Plus, it's the only way I can beat MVB :wink:

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Interference or mid-range solver. Speed solvers feel too much like dueling solitaire....
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
I see we're missing the fourth option - jank. ;)

(Defined as "I reject your victory conditions and substitute my own")
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I tend to build mid-range solvers in both 1E and 2E. I have been trying to beef up my deckbuilding chops over the last couple of years by dabbling in interference builds. I find that my brain doesn't WANT to go battle. It just wants to do missions in peace. :o

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I build my decks around a card, combo, or fun idea. I do not care for your definitions really to build like that.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:00 am I see we're missing the fourth option - jank. ;)

(Defined as "I reject your victory conditions and substitute my own")
I feel that this is one person in my group.

Our games are usually me looking like a confused dog, asking him why is he doing those things, me being surprised at what he is pulling off, then him winning (or losing absolutely spectacularly).

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I choose to add a category "CHAOS SOLVER"

My primary is to be a speed-ish solver. But, I don't plan carefully or precisely enough to know how many of what skill I need or have at any given moment. I go to solve, and both parties are mutually surprised if I get through it. I'm never quite sure how any game will go past the first few turns, and I just really hope I find what a I need when I need it.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Depends on the concrete defintion.

Deckbuilding wise:
I like to solve as fast as possible "Speed solver?" that has the ability to defend its home ("Interference"?). Meaning: dominate the place where i am, without moving too far to the opponent if he is not with me, as this costs to much time. (No "all out battle decks").

Design wise i am for more turns, because this expanse the realm of both player making interaction more likely, while its still the main goal of the game to solve as fast as possible, idealy with bonus points gathered by moving to the opponent for some interaction. I am also for quadrant connection for all decks, as battle decks do it anyway and if non-battledecks are by random chance (different quadrant choice) unable to interact at all, its boring solitar. Some interaction options due to more quadrant connection cards OR rules, spices things up IMO.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Smiley wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:09 pm I build my decks around a card, combo, or fun idea. I do not care for your definitions really to build like that.
Well, put like that -- yes, this mostly. (But then I end up building a mid-range solver around it.)

What does the word "jank" mean, here? (I think I get the general -- "Niall deck"? -- meaning. But more specifically?) @stressedoutatumc, @AllenGould.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:31 am What does the word "jank" mean, here?
The dictionary definition is "of extremely poor or unreliable quality", which for CCGs tends more to the latter half.

So, we're talking decks that can be called "interesting" and "fun", but not "good" or "reliable". Upgunning DS9 so you can shoot stuff for points, for example. :)
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation