This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to another First Edition Friday Question, where I and the other team leaders of the Department of First Edition bring you questions. Today, I'd like to ask a simple question with a lot of nuance:

Are you happy with the state of the game?

Interpret this however you wish, because I'm curious about it all. Are you happy with the deck options? Is your favorite affiliation getting enough love? Are you enjoying online play? The community here or on one of the Discord servers? Are you happy with the staff? Our work?

Share your thoughts, but let us know if you're happy and why, or if you aren't, and why not. We can't wait to read them.

Have a great weekend everyone!

-crp

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
MidnightLich wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:44 am Welcome to another First Edition Friday Question, where I and the other team leaders of the Department of First Edition bring you questions. Today, I'd like to ask a simple question with a lot of nuance:

Are you happy with the state of the game?

Interpret this however you wish, because I'm curious about it all. Are you happy with the deck options? Is your favorite affiliation getting enough love? Are you enjoying online play? The community here or on one of the Discord servers? Are you happy with the staff? Our work?

Share your thoughts, but let us know if you're happy and why, or if you aren't, and why not. We can't wait to read them.

Have a great weekend everyone!

-crp
Deck options: yes. I feel like there has never been a time like this in the sheer number of viable decks and it doesn't feel Contrived either.

Affiliation love:. No. Traditional Borg haven't really gotten anything in so long. I don't like TNG Borg and there really is a ton of room for trad Borg to do new things but no one seems to want to put in the time/work.

Online play:. No. As has been discussed and as I've stated I 1. Hate lackey. 2. Don't enjoy the Sharky nature of 1e online play 3. Find it difficult to schedule matches and 4. Really much prefer playing across a real table in person bc the lackey interface sucks so damn hard.

Community:. Yes and no. It's hard to find the line between what is covids fault and what is players but the engagement around here is severely lacking. The players themselves are still generally good to talk to and be around with a few notable exceptions but it's the lack of enthusiasm. You would think that after 18 months of down time players would be chomping at the bit to play live but I guess not. The lack of anyone engaging with my traditional SD regional "place your bet call out" is particularly telling as that used to get a bunch of action and this year.....nothing.

CC:. What needs to happen is maybe less meetings where things are talked about and more actual cranking the engine. The last few set have been good gameplay and the art is good....but right now post covid what the org needs to do is focus on relighting the fire.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I feel out of touch with the state of the game. I'm playing almost every week, but not with my "usual" group, and not really in a very competitive way where I'm spending weeks building decks -- lots of stuff slapped together in an hour, or slight retouches of decks I played three and four years ago.

I really need in-person play back. (And I really need to get back in the habit of, you know, building a new deck every so often.) :)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
What does "sharky environment" mean?

I understand your issues with Lackey but I am depending on online tournament play. And I do not see anything that is cheesier than I have seen in life-play. Except for the deck size.

I am very happy with the state of 1E. Thank you for your hard work.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Are you happy with the deck options?

Absolutely.

Is your favorite affiliation getting enough love?

Delta Quadrant needs to be dealt with. My favorites are the Romulans though and they have a lot of nice options.

Are you enjoying online play?

I don't play online. I find lackey kind of intimidating honestly but regardless of that I much prefer in person.

The community here or on one of the Discord servers?

Community has its ups and downs. It is better now that it was a few months ago. Some people just have a lousy attitude and while CC tries to be 100% accommodating eventually you have to cut your losses with some people, and you did that and its better here now. That was a problem that never should have dragged on as long as it did.

Are you happy with the staff?

Absolutely

Our work?

When these questions come up I always have the same answer... I'm so grateful this game still exists and we still have new sets and tournaments to look forward to. You people do all this stuff for free and the game is great. I see people get really upset over some issues but for me the bumps in the road are fall outweighed by the fact the game exists and has improved vastly since Decipher days.

My request... in the past there have been cards that essentially were "banned" by errata. a card in the binder because it is useless now can easily be forgotten when errata teams are working on NPEs... I'd say if you have time, there is no shame in a second errata to make a card useful again if it was "over-errataed" the first time. Thinking specifically of Ancestral Vision and Q.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:18 pm I'd say if you have time, there is no shame in a second errata to make a card useful again if it was "over-errataed" the first time. Thinking specifically of Ancestral Vision and Q.
I agree with you on the general principle and regarding Q specifically. I don't get why you put AV in the same camp. The current version is on par with Duck Blind and is easy enough to power up.

Much as I'd also like DQ to get some love, I don't think AV is where the problem area is. To the contrary, restoring it to Decipher era wording could quickly tip the balance too far back toward the DQ and if anything, hamper the design changes you're looking to see.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:59 pm
Takket wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:18 pm I'd say if you have time, there is no shame in a second errata to make a card useful again if it was "over-errataed" the first time. Thinking specifically of Ancestral Vision and Q.
I agree with you on the general principle and regarding Q specifically. I don't get why you put AV in the same camp. The current version is on par with Duck Blind and is easy enough to power up.

Much as I'd also like DQ to get some love, I don't think AV is where the problem area is. To the contrary, restoring it to Decipher era wording could quickly tip the balance too far back toward the DQ and if anything, hamper the design changes you're looking to see.
oh no... it should not go back to the Decipher wording... just something a little more useful.

Edit... oh I just realized something that will make this more clear lol I named the wrong card! I mean The Next Emanation, not Ancestral Vision! AV is fine the way it is.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
As a returning player, I feel like I'm happy to be here and playing again. I think things are pretty good now. It doesn't feel like the meta is being dominated by any one deck.

I can say for certain that I am far happier with the state of the game now than when I left in 2001. :shifty:

Edited for clarity.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I require additional players in the Oklahoma/Kansas area and/or a way to play on a mobile device.

Outside of unreachable demands, keep the pretty cards rolling, bring more pretty cards back from the dead, and end ridiculous nerd wars. I greatly dislike the way those blow up in my face when I ask a simple question. Like "what do you mean by competency?" Or "please stop cussing all the time?" I end up being accused of complicity, which is patently ridiculous. I am plainly non-partisan, in a "I don't actually care who makes the pretty cards as long as they are reasonably legible and have minimal game breaking effects" kind of way.

e797b29fc20e7f5a062c005a5511ac87.jpg
e797b29fc20e7f5a062c005a5511ac87.jpg (22.68 KiB) Viewed 3597 times

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Too many cards have been made useless (The Next Emanation is a good example. Q is as well. Revolving Door is another) due to errata and cards are banned that shouldn't be banned at all (Memory Wipe, Clone Machine, etc).

Online tournaments for the purposes of 'data' should be considered local tournaments and not be used as a temperature reading of the current state of the game.

We might have a great selection of deck builds but right now they are really just 'draw, free play, solve' or 'go and kick their behind' without much in between for finesse or interesting interactions.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I still have PTSD from The Next Emanation + Cyrus Redblock + Murder Dilemmas... and that shit was 20 years ago!

So I can't say I miss the card.

However, I'm wondering if it would be more useful if you got rid of the countdown and put a capacity limit on it (e.g., after 6 personnel are stacked there it stops working). That allows people to use the card for its original intent *and* presents the deckbuilding choice of doing more at the cost of additional seed slots.

If people wanna seed 3 of these things and put half my people out of reach, then fair play to them IMO.

There's enough retrieval nonsense still available (looking at you, Nanoprobe Resuscitation) that it would make for interesting game play without being degenerate*.

Thoughts?

cc:@SirDan @JasonRed3

*subject to playtesting of course.... I could be totally wrong in my theory craft

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:38 am I still have PTSD from The Next Emanation + Cyrus Redblock + Murder Dilemmas... and that shit was 20 years ago!

So I can't say I miss the card.

However, I'm wondering if it would be more useful if you got rid of the countdown and put a capacity limit on it (e.g., after 6 personnel are stacked there it stops working). That allows people to use the card for its original intent *and* presents the deckbuilding choice of doing more at the cost of additional seed slots.

If people wanna seed 3 of these things and put half my people out of reach, then fair play to them IMO.

There's enough retrieval nonsense still available (looking at you, Nanoprobe Resuscitation) that it would make for interesting game play without being degenerate*.

Thoughts?

cc:@SirDan @JasonRed3

*subject to playtesting of course.... I could be totally wrong in my theory craft
Sounds like a legit idea worth testing to me .
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]